1. eNewsletter Sign Up

KTM 790 Adv accessories, Modifications and Upgrades

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you seen the Touratech skid plate reinforcement? I wonder if that helps distribute the impact any?
  2. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I look at the bike with the splash plate off my untrained eye simply does not see a great way to transfer shock directly to a stout portion of the frame. It seems almost like the best solution may be a stouter bottom to the motor itself that is designed to spread the force of impacts over a large area. The Triumph Tiger 800 does this by having the engine mounted rubber skidplate isolators placed in heavy gussets that are close to the edges of the sump. That way impacts are directed towards the vertical rather than horizontal surfaces of the motor. Think of it as weighting a 2x6 on the narrow edge versus weighting it on the wide edge. It may not be a great design but countless Tiger aluminum 3mm skidplates have been completely trashed in rocks and I don't recall hearing of a single sump fracture.

Its possible that KTM has taken that all into account already but I suspect the desire to strip weight and reduce material used may have been the bigger goal.
  5. NHktmRider

NHktmRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this one has been shared but the skid plate crash bar combo is NOT mounted to the engine.

6. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can not speak for KTM but I have access to employees. They say any load on the pan is no good. Yes, the stock is transferring to the oil pan. So I don't know the thought on the stocker, nor do I what is going on with any internal gusseting.

Doesn't matter when you do not use that surface of the motor as a shock absorbing location.

I do know the same issue was with the 950/990 bikes I know well. The Black Dog skid did not mount on the motor. It cradled and protected the motor. That is the goal. Kurt's new design will do the same. Using the OEM front mounting points. The rear will be at or near the center stand. (frame not motor) Kurt also mentioned it will cross support the footpeg brackets. This will strengthen the footpeg brackets and lessen the chance of a big hit twisting them out and potentially cracking the cases. This is an issue I have heard on on socal media and on this forum.

Outback Mototrek is doing this frame only mounting with their design too.

:beer
  7. NHktmRider

NHktmRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’d like to see that outback design without the crash bars and utilize the stock plastic tank guards. Seems like it’d look decent and offer excellent protection.

Meaning eliminate just the orange tubing they show around the tank and replace with mounting points for the plastic.
    ebrew and Yzlvr like this.
  8. doctorblanco

doctorblanco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I installed the KTM Adventure Tank Bag tonight. Tank bags are a must-have for me, to carry the riding essentials that I bring on every trip (patch kit, first aid, tools, etc).
    Picking a tank bag was challenging for this bike because of the shape of the tank, and that I didn't want a tank-ring bag due to offroad durability concerns.
    Overall I like the Adventure tank bag. It's not quite as well made as the SW-Motech bags, but it's better than many.
    I'd say this is the largest tank bag you can run -- pictured here is as far forward as it can go before making contact with the bars at full lock. It barely clearances my stomach.
    The location of the rear clips is somewhat annoying, because they press on my leg as I squeeze the tank while riding. Any suggestions there?

IMG_4051.jpeg
    The_Eccentric, tshansen and Kona990 like this.
  9. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Is there any way those straps might slip under the seat?
    doctorblanco likes this.
  10. doctorblanco

doctorblanco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great idea, going to investigate that tomorrow. Only problem is you need access to the clips to refuel the bike. I am considering mounting the straps to a lower part of the frame, so that the clip is in a lower position and doesn't interfere with gripping the tank.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  11. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    I think if it were me I would permanently mount the straps under the seat, under the plastic and down on the frame. Then I would make my fuelling quick release at the front of the bag, near the bars somehow.
  12. r1d3rg652gs

r1d3rg652gs Tenere700

Oddometer:
    Have you lowered the bike or is it the angle of the photo?
  13. doctorblanco

doctorblanco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Must be the angle of the photo -- if anything the bike is taller because I have the preload increased (was touring 2-up recently).
  14. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    See the sidewalk? It tapers up from the street. Hard to see but it gives the appearance that the bike has been lowered.
  15. tshansen

tshansen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take a look at the Enduristan Sandstorm H
    [​IMG]
    Got this myself and its a perfect fit, and don't get in the way.

[​IMG]
  16. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

^ 205'd :)

As posted here earlier... Enduristan 4(H?).
    Sure they're a smaller bag but the front buckle connection allows for easy disconnect to access the filler. I've for years been annoyed by unzipping the KTM bag to fill up and those damn side pockets getting in the way when standing...
    Enduristan bag is slimmer too and the back straps don't have an adjustment buckle at knee height. Plus! the E bags are fully waterproof without need for a floppy shower cap cover that flogs out eventually which just becomes a complete PITA.
    Yay Enduristan.
  17. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    Supporting the pan off the foot peg brackets and front frame only leaves a long unsupported span between the two locations. Not good. It also doesn’t address the cantilevered section beneath the cat. I really don’t want to design a skid plate for this bike but I may have to.
  18. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The enduristan tank bag is only 7L though, that's practically nothing. The KTM one is 18L.
  19. doctorblanco

doctorblanco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @braaap! & @tshansen I agree that the enduristan is better looking, more ergonomi, better straps, and better waterproofing.
    But as @Smashy said, it's really much too small for me to fit my riding essentials. I really need ~15L to fit my tools, first aid, water filter, tire pump, patch kit, etc. And I use soft luggage on the back for longer trips, which is a) size constrained and b) too cumbersome to leave on the bike when I'm not going on overnights.

I have considered the larger Enduristans, but they are about twice the price of the KTM bag.

I think I am going to take @TrailTrauma advice and figure out how to install clips on the front mounts, then I can more easily refuel, and tuck the rear straps under the seat.
    braaap! and TrailTrauma like this.
  20. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What are all the tankbags that people have tried on this bike?

I've heard of the enduristan 4h, the giant loop fandango, and now the KTM powerparts bag. Any others that work well? I'm looking for one myself but would prefer something with decent capacity.

What about a Kriega US-20 with the tank bag adaptor?