1. eNewsletter Sign Up

KTM 790 Adv accessories, Modifications and Upgrades

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Bosleys Pegs. I do not have first hand experience with these, his work looks first rate though. However, many on here do. He does his business via Facebook. Someone will post up his info.
  2. Migolito

Oddometer:
    Auxilliary Lights Install:
    I'm planning my Daylight Running Light -DRL install and have some questions for those who have already dug into the harness.

I am adding Baja Designs Squadron lights with a Skene controller. I'd like the lights to be powered when the ignition is on (I don't want to independently turn them on/off). So, I need to have a switched circuit to tap into for the relay. Although I haven't looked yet, I'd like to add the Skene to the battery compartment (or near by) or under the seat.
    Question 1: Where is there a switched circuit in those areas?

Also, I need to tap into the High Beam circuit so the Skene can turn on the DRL @100% with the High Beams.
    Question 2: Where can I find an easy access to that wire?

Thank in advance. If I don't screw this up too bad, I'll post and install vid.

UPDATE: okie dokie. I have found both a switched (meaning on/off with the key) and a non switched (meaning on always). Both are located under the seat towards the back (page 298 manual). There are two OEM supplied accessory plugs-filled with diaelectric grease btw. Easy pezy to plug directly into the switched one for lights. Both are 10a and my lights are a total of 4a, so, plenty of room.
  3. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    I'm happy they're aux lights. I installed a BD Squadron headlight on my 500 and it's behaviour took some getting used to. To go from hi to low it would flash the light rapidly and then shut off for a second. On a straight away that may be ok but on a curve with a truck coming at you on a country dirt road it sucked to be blind for a second. Good luck!

If you can find a repair manual there may be wiring schematics detailing what you're after.
  4. Migolito

Oddometer:
    Wow! I have a Squadron Pro on my KTM 500 exc and zero issues whatsoever. You may have a defective unit...they have a lifetime warranty-I'd call them up.
  5. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
    I don't do Facebook, so if any of you have a link other than FB, much appreciated.
  6. Migolito

Oddometer:
    bosley@centrum.cz

Someone on here posted photos of both the lowered footpegs and the lowered custom brakes pad. Nice lloking stuff. Do a search on 790 forum.
    The_Eccentric likes this.
  7. Oceandiving954

Oceandiving954 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have it on my 500 it’s incredible. Yes it will flash until you set the parameters and then it will not blink between hi and low. Let me try to find my sheet on it.
  8. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    This was 5 yrs ago. Their dimmer modules were a tad primitive I think. Even the updated replacement seemed as daft. Sold the bike yrs ago.

EDIT: @Oceandiving954 if you can't find it no worries. If you do, I could always pass it along to the new owner. Thanks.
    Oceandiving954 likes this.
  9. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks
  10. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    After a bit of fussing around I got the Scott's damper mounted.

I tried to use the stock 790 handlebar however after a short test ride with the Stabilizer mounted I found the bit of extra height combined with the amount of sweep of the stock handlebar have made it feel cruiser like while seated. Yuck...

So I pulled back into the garage and stole the stock handlebar off my 250 XCF and mounted it on the 790. Mo better sitting and standing now.

20190725_023511.jpg
  11. SteadyStare

SteadyStare Adventurer wannabe

Oddometer:
    That looks awesome. I might have to pick up a set of those. I was just worried they would touch my exhaust and I don't want to scratch up my pretty Akropovic slip on haha.
    ozducati likes this.
  12. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is that the triple clamp moto set up?
  13. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Put on the Perun Moto rear rack yesterday. Look at the direction on their web site. It makes it much easier. Nice setup. Good fit. 1564055897454.jpg 1564055956135.jpg
    TrailTrauma and Oceandiving954 like this.
  14. nibby

nibby Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Interested to hear your thoughts about the damper - I cant make my mind up.

I've had them on other big bikes in the past but the 790 feels more manageable on the front so not sure.
    ibgary likes this.
  15. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Yep. Simple and well made. Only things of note are 1) You loose the closest hole mounting option on the triple due to to how the damper mount bolts onto the triple, not an issue for me because I have no desire to run the bars that close but it might impact a rider with really short arms. 2) The kit comes with two new bolts for mounting the stock bar clamps and they were a touch too long. I had to shave them down a bit to keep them from bottoming out on the underlying triple clamp before they snugged up the bar clamps. Not a deal breaker, but something to be aware of. Quality of the machining and the finish were both excellent.

Update: I had emailed TripleClampMoto this morning about the bolts being a bit long just to give them a heads up. They responded right a way. Turns out the bolts I got were for the bigger KTMs which have taller Bar clamps. They have new bolts in route to me and apologized for the mix up. Thumbs up to them for the fast reply and their response.

The 790 has not struck me as needing a damper, I was just looking for the HS damping circuit mostly. Something I doubt I'll feel kick in often, but when it does I'll use that to justify the money spent. :)
  16. tomstrommer

tomstrommer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    same here, had to take it off with 40% life in it.
  17. Migolito

Oddometer:
    On my 500, a Damper was a game changer. It made sand, rocks, ruts all that shit that grabs the front tire and slams the bars left or right, very doable and predictable. In short a Damper made me a better, safer rider. My plans for the 790 do not include technical terrain...im building a long range Adv bike. However, IF i was making a more technical adv bike...oh yes i would plan a Damper. Scots
    ibgary and nibby like this.
  18. jm65

jm65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. NHktmRider

NHktmRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. windblown101

Oddometer: