1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

KTM 790 Adv accessories, Modifications and Upgrades

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Feb 5, 2019.

1. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    what I find with the stock brakes the initial bite is quite not so intense(good for off-road)
    but if you really pull on the lever its stops very quicky(good for road use)

when I first got the 790 I wanted to fit pads with more bite
    but now I am used to the oem pads
    I am quite pleased with the brakes!

also on the road
    tyres make so much difference in braking distance!!
  2. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Agree.
    My 950 is at 228kg with 15l of fuel. It brakes fine. Tires really makes a difference in this. Contact patch is very small.
    20200602_182033.jpg
    ramirin, kzeb and SoilSampleDave like this.
  3. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Exactly!

I was doing some track riding yesterday - happened to ride by and there was open day on local track so I wen't on tarmac twisties with my mitas c-21 and c-18 .. 160kmh on main straight and plenty of cornering, rode a good half hour without stopping - no problems with single brakes. Of course I was slow like a turtle compared to plastic bullets but rode as fast as I felt comfortable, surely brakes (and tires) cut short for faster rider but for me it was fun since this the setup I always run. I got tempted enough to follow when is the next open track day and maybe mount oem wheels and put rear sensor back in place to get qs and mtc enabled..

--

Someone mentioned mpg goes crap when removing O2 sensors, I don't agree (considering mpg on 990 back in the day). I decided to go for a road ride and reset my trip when leaving home, this includes the track ride, plenty of wot acceleration and normal 100kmh road ride.. So here is my 'normal' road ride without cat/O2 with pcv default fueling for 790 duke. I would say it's pretty damn economical setup.

Screenshot_379.jpg
    SoilSampleDave, nibby, alonad and 2 others like this.
  4. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks reasonable.

I’ve found fuel economy depends a lot on fuel quality. I’ve gotten over 500km out of one tank of gas (and still had a little over a litre left in the tank), then gotten less than 360km out of another.

(3.7L/100km and 5.5L/100km)
    Turts likes this.
  5. grace

grace Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    more love for @EvilSteve! thank you for sharing the wild at heart levers. they're fabulous. they replaced the raximo levers, which i never loved. the raximo offer worse performance to the oem levers. however, they were the only option for shorty levers. like being a pivot pegz kinda rider, i'm a shorty lever kinda rider. anyone looking for shorty levers, get these. no question. do not get the raximo levers. if you don't care for shorty levers, keep the stock levers. for those who run shorty levers, these are the bomb. better feel and performance to the oem levers.

i also got a set for r1200gs, which replaced the outstanding wunderlich levers that i had run on three gs'. these are even better. i wish they made levers for the 690 enduro and super duke.

20200805_164130.jpg
    20200805_164150.jpg
    EvilSteve, CaseyB and BHoward like this.
  6. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine will be here tomorrow.
    EvilSteve and grace like this.
  7. grace

grace Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    something about the 790 rally seems to motivate me to just try shit that i may normally reconsider. i think "yeah, she can probably do that". i've passed this trail, pennsylvania gulch, for a few years, always wondering where it goes. i heard it was gnarly. today, i thought, let's do it. it is gnarly. it exhausted me. i got stuck on a couple of ledges -no photos- and literally had to lay the bike down the pull the wheels up on the steps. high altitude, heat and lousy time to bonk didn't help either. with all the shit that i've ridden, this was the first time that the engine temperature lit up. i let the bike nap for while to cool down.

that said, the 790 rally keeps impressing me with the shit that she'll do. she's one bad mutha. she keeps up well with smaller bikes. and, that said, she's still not a 690. weighing probably over a 100 lbs (45 kgs) less than the 790, the 690 is still the unicorn. i'd get a 690 long before getting a tenere 700 -same power and 690 weighs 100 lbs less.

she successfully rode most of gnarlier sections -not pictured. these photos are towards the end. i was so tired that at one point i just stopped, dropped the bike and couldn't rip my helmet off fast enough to get oxygen.

20200809_132517.jpg
    20200809_132959.jpg

20200809_133437.jpg
  8. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Hell yeah!
  9. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve.

Oddometer:
    The 790 naps like a champ, @grace. :D
    grace, SoilSampleDave and braaap! like this.
  10. Pipeman

Pipeman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I see why they call it Pennsylvania Gulch, looks like a regular trail here where I live....
  11. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So with my shock en route to solid performance for a rebuild, I have nothing but time and a partially disassembled bike. A perfect time to add a 15T sprocket and figure out the best way to mount the MM R80 bags. After posting pictures from my shakedown setup over on "show yours", @CaseyB suggested I change the mount point for the front strap and align the angle of the holsters accordingly. He suggested mounting the strap on the frame near where the from of the rear panel would attach. It didn't seem obvious to me how I would do that, so I started tinkering. I knew I wanted to use the mount points for the pax pegs, and I had some strap mount tabs from MM to use, but how should I attach them to the frame? First off I needed a metal strap of some kind with holes in the right place. Did you know that certain kinds of garage door angle iron have holes in the right place, and fit quite nicely along the frame there? Neither did I until yesterday.

All you water jet metal benders should take a look at this prototype and make a real nice powder coated version. For me, I have a rattle can of black bed liner, so I think I'll spray it with that and be done with it for now.

20200809_164747[1].jpg

And on the bike they tuck nicely along the frame...
    20200809_170332[1].jpg

But when I tried to mount the R80 it was too close to be useful unless I mounted the bags nearly all the way back...
    20200809_172730[1].jpg

But that made the bag stand off the bike way too much
    20200809_172740[1].jpg

I needed to change the holster angle from 2 to 3, and I needed to extend the front strap mounting point further forward. That would give me much more flexibility in rigging different bags and loads to the bike. Good thing I have lots of this leftover angle iron from way back when the house was built and they hung my garage doors. an 8" length should just about do it...
    20200809_185455[1].jpg

But what about the exhaust? One more mod and the prototype should be finished. I needed to have a cutout where the muffler pipe attaches to the arrow bypass, with enough space to keep the metal from getting too hot. I hope It works and doesn't melt the strap...
    20200809_185500[1].jpg

The final mounting position.

20200809_192748[1].jpg

20200809_192814[1].jpg

20200809_192824[1].jpg

I'm not sure if this is how I will leave it after packing it, but it is the best setup of all the alternatives so far.
    garageengineer, braaap!, kzeb and 2 others like this.
  12. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    @kubcat so why not mount the cleat directly to one of the passenger holes? Isn't that what the Mosko Moto crew recommends?
  13. kubcat

Oddometer:
    2 reasons - the screw post is rotated 90 degrees from how the straps come off the holster (not really a problem, but...)
    ...the farthest post is still too close to the holster unless you mount the rig as far back as the perun rack will go - and then its very high off the seat (see the picture in the post).
  14. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went through 2 on the rear. Good tire IMO.
  15. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually Supporter

Oddometer:
    The pic of the strapped portion in back is the same spot I use. I just scoot the bag back more and live w the underneath not sitting flush.
    [​IMG]

seems the angle of the bag/size doesn’t work well where i strap to frame for the front of bags. You’re past it w the holsters.

My only other suggestion would be put the passenger pegs back on.

How you liking the Perun side plates? I’m just waiting on some Wolfman small rolies, looking forward to dialing in my packing and getting my tools in the right spot. Plan is similar to yours and use my r40 over the small dry bags
    [​IMG]
    braaap! likes this.
  16. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought one once. Thought it was a pretty decent tough long lasting rear tire that just wouldnt die. I affectionately called it a truck tire. I started to notice it seemed to be getting harder around 5k miles and offering very little traction coming out of rocky stream beds.

A few weeks later I running along on a flat straight section of hwy as it started to rain and hit a long repair patch on the road. The rear tire started spinning up from just maintaining speed. That was the last ride for that K60 and the first and last one I owned. Once it got some age on it it became too sketchy for my taste. *shrug*

To a lesser degree Motoz tires seem do the same. They are a long range tire and seem to get harder and loose bite before the tread is gone. I still use them though because they dont get as sketchy as the k60 by a large margin IMHO.
  17. kubcat

Oddometer:
    I really like the Perun side plates because it allows me to implement the concept of "layers" of gear;

Layer 1 - always on the bike - tire and bike repair kits strapped to each side Perun rail
    Layer 2 - Fits over Layer 1 and is configurable depending on the ride destination/duration/etc. - R40/R80/Scout 30/etc

I currently have the strapping brackets in the forward and middle positions, but I'm still not sure those are the best locations for the brackets on the rail. @CaseyB, any logic to your choice of using the forward and rearward positions and not the middle?
  18. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dirt naps... one of the perks of fuel injection.
    BobcatSig and EvilSteve like this.
  19. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @kubcat where do you source those neat little (bolt on) strap cleats? Are they from Mosko?... I need me some :thumb
  20. V1Vr

V1Vr just an average Joe

Oddometer: