KTM 790 Adv accessories, Modifications and Upgrades

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Pipeman

Pipeman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ha! Funny stuff....No my reference was PA trails are all rocks and roots no reflection on your ability or riding area I would much prefer the vast trails of Colorado. Now go work on your riding skills !
    grace likes this.
  2. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why do you say the Raximo are not good? I notice that the end knob bangs on my ring fingers (a bit) when I pull them in, but its only a minor annoyance. The stockers actually mashed my ring/pinky fingers when I pulled on them, so they are still an improvement over that. Do the Wild at Heart levers avoid that altogether? It appears that's why there is a 90 degree bend at the end.
    SoilSampleDave likes this.
  3. BobcatSig

BobcatSig Fresh Off The Couch Racing

Oddometer:
    I find the Raximos better than the OEM levers, but compared to similar products like CRG, I find them too chunky and the knob at the end of the lever is too big. They still work well enough, just not as good as they could be, I think.
    CaseyB, gsuks and SoilSampleDave like this.
  4. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    First ride with the [email protected] levers this morning...such a massive improvement over stock!
    EvilSteve, grace and Oceandiving954 like this.
  5. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    How? What's wrong with oem levers other than being pretty long and likely to break without proper guards?

I'm asking since I never thought about just changing levers without making clutch lighter with clake one or otherwise fitting rear brake on hb or so..
    grace likes this.
  6. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ride with 2 fingers on clutch, no matter the terrain. With the stock lever, I always crushed my ring finger and pinky. This new lever allows me to fully use 2 fingers and not smash my hand in the process.
    MFGamesta, markbxr400, Turts and 4 others like this.
  7. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    This, exactly.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  8. Copracer288

Copracer288 How hard can it be?

Oddometer:
    I can attest to that.
    grace likes this.
  9. grace

grace Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @ramirin, if you have no issues with oem levers, no need to change. i always cover brake and clutch levers, with two fingers, while riding and, i find that, for me, shorty levers work much better for my style. i think oem levers work great and no need for aftermarket levers, unless one wants shorty levers or bling. personally, from experience, i do not recommend the raximo levers, especially if you ride your bike as it appears that you do. even if one wants shorty levers, i recommend cutting the oem levers and bending the end outwards to create the knob vs getting the raximos.
    CaseyB, EvilSteve and BobcatSig like this.
  10. grace

Oddometer:
    there's the problem for me. i want them to work better that "well enough". raximos are okay -not great. oem levers are very good and great, if you like long levers. [email protected] levers are great.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  11. grace

Oddometer:
    yes, i believe that [email protected] levers solve this problem, just work so much better and more. better stopping power. more modulation. less brake fade.

after getting the raximo levers, i flushed/bled brakes twice, upgraded the brake fluid and i upgraded the brake pads to address my issues with the brakes. the [email protected] levers solves my issues. now, the upgraded brake pads have too much bite -especially for the dirt. had i been using the [email protected] levers, i believe that i wouldn't have flushed/bled brakes twice and changed brake pads.

my $0.02
  12. BobcatSig

BobcatSig Fresh Off The Couch Racing

Oddometer:
    All good. I get what you're saying. Though I checked the price for those levers; nearly $170!
  13. Magile

Magile Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I find the Camel 1-Finger Clutch kit very effective. The Clake stuff look interesting too, I'm just not that commited. YMMV - M

No affiliation, from https://camel-adv.com/collections/featured-products/products/ktm-790-1-finger-clutch

IMG_2445_1296x.jpeg

Cable adjust begins @ 3:42
    Nowwhat and EvilSteve like this.
  14. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    I only run two fingers on clutch if I'm suffering from excessive clutching causing arm pump - 99% of time 1 finger. On front brake two finger only if I'm practising stoppie otherwise 1.

Never had problems with squeezing other fingers on any of my bikes but I don't ever use thick gloves or add anything that makes grips thicker.

For camel I don't really like the concept considering everything about 790 clutch. If you make the arm longer you need even more slack on cable to avoid slipping on high revs. If I wan't longer 'contact area' I just move my hand and put my finger near the tip of lever - also lighter pull there. If this is desired all the time one could just move clutch assy towards center on handlebars.

Edit.
    Now that I think of this (when riding things just happen) I tend to rest my 3 fingers on levers and only grip with index fingers while sitting down riding road or other easy stuff. It let's air cool down the spots that gets blisters, usually changing gears w/o clutch or just tiny blip. When things get interesting again I swap 3 finger back on grip and single fingers on levers.
    I've been trying to learn clutching also with only middle finger (some riders do this) but it feels too weird.. Would be nice to have options though.
  15. Thumper Dumper

Thumper Dumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't see what effect the Raximo leavers would have on brake fade and why using them would necessitate flushing or bleeding of the brake system. I'm very happy with my Raximos and I'm glad you are happy with your new ones but you are talking utter nonsense. Thanx for supporting a South Africa.
  16. Schussboelie

Schussboelie Kicking up dirt Supporter

Oddometer:
    I kinda had the same question...
    eelriver and Thumper Dumper like this.
  17. grace

Oddometer:
    @Thumper Dumper, yes, yes, it's utter nonsense. :1drinklol! glad that raximos work for you. i would think that levers should have nothing to do with bleeding/flushing. let me expound on my nonsense.

we flushed/bled brakes, upgraded brake fluids, changed brake pads and almost purchased brembo master cylinder, all to trying to resolve the undesirable braking performance that i experienced while using the raximo levers. perhaps, i installed them poorly and had two local shops inspect the installation and triage the issues. both shops basically commented, "i don't like the feel of these levers. what's wrong with the ktm levers?". basically saying "ktm levers have got to be better than these." and, performance wise, to me, ktm are noticeably better than the raximos.

with the raximo levers, the brakes always felt sorta mushy. i constantly looked that brake adjuster knob, to check if it moved, because the lever just didn't feel right. i haven't done that once with [email protected] perhaps, there's something amiss with the raximo levers that i received and it appears that others on this thread hold similar feelings about raximo levers. for the way that i want to ride, raximo levers required some thought and consideration about braking. braking and brake feel is very important to me. not much is more important for me on a bike. while riding, i prefer to avoid devoting any mental energy to the performance of the brakes. i scoured the planet researching options to resolve the undesirable performance. if the brembo master came with less fragile reservoir and there were no concerns about the hand guards interfering with it, i would have purchased the brembos.

again, for the way that i want to ride and for the things that matter to me, it's common for other riders to find acceptable what i deem undesirable. e.g., i have an issue with the rear brakes on the bmw r1200gs (on three gs') that seemingly almost no one encounters because it seems others don't use the rear brakes on the gs like i do. it's actually a key reason that i purchased the 790. i didn't appreciate not knowing when the rear brake on the gs would fail, especially given that, once, i actually crashed when the rear failed and narrowly missed colliding with a tree. bmw bought back the motorcycle because the issue arises from a design flaw, that they cannot remedy and that will never impact 99.99+% of gs riders. issue likely remains on the r1250gs, since it's basically the same design.

similarly for me, with the raximo levers, braking performance would gradually seem to degrade. upgrading brake pads definitely helped. compared to the [email protected] levers, it appears that raximo levers didn't provide adequate leverage for me to actuate the brakes, as i desire. because now, with the [email protected] levers, the upgraded brake pads have more bite that i prefer. i can easily stop with one finger. for others, depending on how they ride, this is probably not an issue. i always upgrade brake/clutch fluids on my brakes because, eventually, i apparently always seem to encounter issues with the fluid boiling and eventually requiring regular bleeds. btw, none of what i shared is an indication of rider skill. it's seems the opposite -lack of skill- and being a smidge anal retentive.

hopefully, this makes some sense out of the nonsense that i previously shared. :D
    RyanC, BobcatSig and Schussboelie like this.
  18. grace

Oddometer:
    @BobcatSig, for me, braking is an area, where i don't hesitate to spend money. as i mentioned, unless one wants shorty levers, i feel that there's not reason to switch from ktm levers. ktm levers work great. [email protected] may offer a smidge more performance -maybe or not- and i don't consider [email protected] worth the upgrade over oem for performance gains. if you want shorty levers and you don't want to spend the money cut the oem levers and fashion a knob on the end. similar to this:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/ktm-...ns-and-upgrades.1364732/page-79#post-38420955

i would do this long before buying raximo levers.
  19. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I had an aftermarket front brake lever on a KTM once that somehow would always keep a little pressure on the brakes and I could never figure out how or why. But it made the front brake act weird; I guess because of extra heat from always rubbing. I don’t really know, but putting the stock one on fixed it.
  20. grace

Oddometer:
    it's interesting that you say this. i noticed same issue during a ride with raximos levers, where i was just struggling, and it turned out that the pads were applying too much pressure on the rotors. i think dropping the bike caused the problem.
    SoilSampleDave likes this.