1. eNewsletter Sign Up

KTM 790 Adv accessories, Modifications and Upgrades

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Sefti

Sefti Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rade pegs and Puig touring screen review for anyone interested.

Firstly the screen. It’s fitted to my R and for touring/distance work on the motorway/freeway I would say it’s superb. At 70/80 mph there is zero turbulence and I suspect it will provide extremely good weather protection while on long distance tours. There is an issue though that manifested itself fairly quickly. It is very “wobbly” with any sort of off road/track. It was only on very mild rutted gravel track and it was moving around alarmingly so unfortunately I suspect I’ll wait and purchase the Rade garage solution if it looks stable and protective.

The Rade pegs are great. Just dropped enough to make my legs fractionally more comfortable and when standing they are a nice big comfortable and stable platform. The only small criticism is that I marked the bike a bit trying to get them mounted. The fit of the actual pegs is extremely good but there spring is a swine to get in place. A fair bit of swearing and deep breaths as I scratched the bike trying to get the damn things seated correctly!
  2. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i want something from HDPE like the 690's,701's,500's have
    lightweight and effective. i want to shave off LB not add them
    comradecasey and nibby like this.
  3. SteadyStare

SteadyStare Adventurer wannabe

Oddometer:
    Anyone running Enduristan blizzard luggage on their 790 yet? Im thinking about getting a set and running them without side plastics, directly against the sub frame to keep the bike narrow. Just wondering if anyone has confirmed a secure fit and whether or not the heat shield is required?
  4. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Modern composite skidplates are pretty nice in a few ways and weight is a fairly big consideration for me as well. I've steered clear of Blackdog in the past on the basis of not needing a completely bomb proof skidplate. However this design looks like it may be a winner for my purposes and it appears they have eliminated any surplus extraneous weight. I appreciate the absence of the big wings and crash bars.

If they have it mounted in a way that safely transfers impact energy into the frame and/or spreads energy over a wide enough area of the motor so to not easily cause damage that's a huge plus. I've seen some composite prototypes that looked like they held some promise but the only one I've seen that was minimalist in design (no wings) appeared to be just a thicker version of the stock splash guard KTM used and I don't think the stock mounting system is stout enough to take much of a hit.

If this plate protects the engine against actual real impacts and doesn't make the bike wider than it already is a I can deal just fine with a smallish weight penalty. It was chasing ounces that got us a beer can protecting the belly of this bike. ;)
    Fabricator and nibby like this.
  5. NomorBills

NomorBills WesternExplorer

Oddometer:
    Chandler, AZ & Summer in the Pines, Pine, AZ
    Use a zip tie to compress the spring
    ibgary and TrailTrauma like this.
  6. BlackDogCycleWorks

BlackDogCycleWorks Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. Yzlvr

Yzlvr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks nice. Using any new mounting points? Or same as stock? A black option would be great too..
  8. nibby

nibby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm really surprised KTM haven't released an upgraded bashplate in it's powerparts catalogue yet.
  9. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually Supporter

Oddometer:
    I still need a crap flap. Anyone have a link to a cheap one? It just needs to hold me over till a proper bashplate hits the market.

Besides the chicken incubator. jk
    1coolbanana and TrailTrauma like this.
  10. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    If they do I'll happily start my own gofundme to pay for airfare and hotels over to Austria so I can lay a beating on the dipshit at KTM who felt it was ok to release an ADV bike with a shit skid plate but later release a real ($$) skid plate. Right up there with trying to bill me ~$450 CDN to magically enable my QS.

I love my 790, make no mistake, but some of the decisions KTM has made in regards to certain aspects of the bike were clearly motivated by a desire to pinch pennies or as a money grab post ownership.
    Migolito and nibby like this.
  11. dzrtracin

dzrtracin возьми

Oddometer:
    Pinch pennies or keep it under 500lbs, i'm thinking both!
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  12. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think it was the same guy who designed the 1190 airbox. He got transferred to skid plate design!
  13. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I realize you guys do this for a living, but there is definitely a lot less opening for air “above the fold” in the front. Since it’s unlikely to take any big hits that high, what’s the rationale for not having more holes on the top? TIA
  14. ozducati

ozducati n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes tested. They fit nice and secure and a heat shield is always a good precaution.
  15. nibby

nibby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. windblown101

Oddometer:
    I don't know what they have done up front but on the rear it looks like they are utilizing what would likely have been centerstand mounting points. What I like about this is that not only does it remove the engine case from the equation it also ties the right hand footpeg and both sides of the frame into one solid impact absorbing system. To my admittedly untrained eye that should be a stout set-up.

It will be interesting to see the final production release.
  17. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone installed a Shorai battery yet? I was wondering how it fit?
  18. tomstrommer

tomstrommer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    KIMG0099.JPG
    I bought a chunk of this perforated aluminum a few years back. have $2.50 into the tinster clips. from a distance it doesn't look to bad.
    markbxr400, CaseyB and SoilSampleDave like this.
  19. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im more about function than form. Looks good to me.
  20. windblown101

Oddometer:
    PSA:

If you install a sub mount stablizer you have to pull the key out of the gas cap after opening it before you can lift it far enough to get the filler into the tank. Then re-insert the key in order to turn the lock so you can close the gas cap.

Yes, I tried to reverse the gas cap. Thought I had it licked (You have to swap three screws around to flip it.) But unfortunately the hole in the tank itself that the inner gas cap seals against is offset so the cap will not close if you flip it around. :(

Not a deal breaker, just a minor aggravation...