KTM 790 Adv accessories, Modifications and Upgrades

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Salzig

Salzig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, and he even doesn't pay due respect :dirtdog
    :lol3
    braaap! likes this.
  2. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:

I have these same levers too, and when they came I didn’t have enough free play in the brake lever either. I made sure to disassemble the plunger and check to make sure it was screwed in correctly...I may have used the pivot and plunger from the stock lever at the end of it, I don’t recall.
    either way, I finally got it to work just dandy with no dragging, sans freeway overheat/lockup. I put some of that enduro engineering heat shrink over the lever contact points themselves too, to round out the feel a touch, and keep the bare aluminum from acting like a heat sink in the cold. (Just get some regular 1/2” heat shrink and don’t bother with the EE stuff)

if you’re a rider that needs a bolt on mod to work perfectly with no finessing these levers are not for you. If you have the wherewithal to tinker a bit to get it just right, these are a worthy, cost effective option. yes, you gotta move the switch housing in a little for perfect placement/clearance, and getting your fingers in the right spot. It ain’t hard, it takes a couple tries and/or minutes.
    JP4 likes this.
  3. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Another install note on the front brake lever, any front brake lever on this bike. There's a small recess in the piston of the master cylinder that the pin on the lever rides in. The pin has to be centered in that deprrssion when the lever is mounted or it seems possible that it would be pushing on the raised rim of the piston. That would result in the brake being slightly activated. For me the levers installed without any modification to the lever, but it took a couple of attemps before I realized that the pin has to go into the piston centered. The rubber boot generally holds the pin in the middle, but you have to come in with the pin lined up first and then swing the body of the lever intro place to drop the bolt in. A little fiddly, but not hard once your figure it out.
    kzeb likes this.
  4. Copracer288

Copracer288 How hard can it be?

Oddometer:
    I didn't realize that and maybe that was my issue. Since they almost killed me, I was mad at the levers and just took them off without checking anything so it easily could have been my fault on the install.

Even so, there was a lot of slop in the levers and I found the squared off profile to be a little uncomfortable so I doubt I'll give them another go.
    JP4 likes this.
  5. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Interesting. There is actually less slop in mine than the factory levers. I think it's really a crapshoot when you order these levers as to what you are going to get. Kind of a lottery with the cheap eBay stuff.
    Copracer288 likes this.
  6. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Lol. More info very soon - I promise (and I always deliver)
    Salzig and braaap! like this.
  7. BoxOfChocolates

BoxOfChocolates KLR Delusional

Oddometer:

Dang man glad you are ok after that spill. Looked like a great ride. How do you like the little clip on visor for the windshield. Do you think it makes a difference?
    I don’t have a 790 yet but will in a few weeks. Riding a KLR and I also have a youtube channel. Link in signature. Good stuff.
  8. relz

relz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's exactly what happened to me.
    Installed them late Thursday night, and didn't check it. Friday morning went out for a ride, and one kilometer down the road the front brake locked up. Bloody scary, and dangerous!
    Had to dismantle the brake lever on the side of the road, just to be able to roll the bike away.

After arriving home I took it apart, and indeed noticed that the little push rod must be protruding too far out.

If anyone buys these kind of chinese levers, please check the brake free play and the push rod length before going on a ride...
  9. Mudguts

Mudguts when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer:
    Got a good deal on an akro so nekkminit
    20200915_151832.jpg
    roookie1, richo360, Pipeman and 3 others like this.
  10. slowkiwi

slowkiwi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All, since i can't find any better pillion pegs I'll be doing a run of billet, CNC machined pegs that use grub screws for 'bite'. If there is interest I can do some extras.

They include the extra material to save the the cast footpeg hanger from grinding in a crash, and can be any colour you want. Price is likely to be around US$100 per pair.

The following image is a draft design.

I'm doing this simply because my wife doesn't feel confident to support her weight properly (or stand) on the rubber ones when they are wet/muddy.

I look forward to your feedback,

790 pillion peg.png
    Pipeman, SEK_Nick, Teamrat and 3 others like this.
  11. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve.

Oddometer:
    Definitely interested, I was thinking of installing my standard 790 pegs in the passenger footpeg slots but they don't work as you've found out.

How wide could we make the passenger pegs?
  12. slowkiwi

slowkiwi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, the pegs cannot be much wider without clashing with the hanger. My Cheif Test pilot has informed me the main issue was grip, since the amount of standing time is less than for the rider, especially if the rider was solo.

So they will only be about 3-4mm wider, but the contact points will be close to the edge and make them seem wider. :-)

Cheers,
    EvilSteve likes this.
  13. Teamrat

Teamrat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Definitely interested, the high command thinks these would be great in orange, but black would work too.
  14. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    I’d be in. Uncolored or black works for me.
  15. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Can't go too wide on these heavier bikes. I have some nice adv style pegs with the dampening built in, and due to their width (out from the bike) they took some new muscle memory programming. Pull up to a stop, or want to dab? = scootch ass back first! Otherwise your leg collides with the peg end, and forces the bike to want to topple to that side (leg out further = less reach = more lean). Once you make that adjustment/program then it's off to the races.
  16. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    CB734 likes this.
  17. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Haha. Love it.

Is he running a bit lean? I recall my FMF being blue, without the purple, but I haven't looked at one in several yrs.
  18. grace

grace Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  19. Pipeman

Pipeman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    He still has the cat so I doubt it but I see what you’re saying. Probably made it fit from another bike
  20. Pipeman

Pipeman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has anyone solved the slight lag in throttle response around 4000rpm? It’s not bad and I have a Rapid Bike easy that helped but it is not completely gone.