KTM 790 Adv accessories, Modifications and Upgrades

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Mud Bucket

Mud Bucket 60% of the time I'm right every time

Oddometer:
    Totally agree.
    Offroad it sounds great, I like ride without earplugs and its like the sound of music in the bush. Highway is another thing. Ear plugs is good, and what ever can help the idiots know your there is good too in my opinion.
  2. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    You need 1/4" (6.3mm) spade (also called blade) connectors available at any auto supply place. You need the male connectors. This kind.

Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 8.24.18 PM.png
    Flatroads and fbga like this.
  3. wtrhzrd

wtrhzrd n00b

Oddometer:
    First post but long time reader. Created account to add to this. I just had the exact same issue with the touratech bars. Went down on the right side, slow speed, in about 5 inches of sand. Got home and noticed a dent in my pipe, and i couldn't get the right side tank bolt to line up properly. Just pulled the tank and it looks like my bracket is bent as well. Can't locate the part for sure on parts finder since I'm not sure what it's actually called. Mine isn't damaged, so I might try to bend it back out a little.
    Flatroads likes this.
  4. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    thats anodized ti.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  5. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I realize it isn't the ideal place to post it, but does anyone want my stock skid plate? I'm not sure it makes sense to ship it because of the way carriers charge by volume too these days, but I am on the south side of Atlanta if someone wants to pick it up. It's free, so hopefully I won't face the wrath of the mods.
  6. hubilado

hubilado Motoquiero Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you don't get any action on that skid plate, there's this. I use that site every once in a while when I've got something I don't need anymore and don't have buyer for it. It reaches a lot of people so maybe a wider audience than this thread.
  7. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I had forgotten about that; thanks!
  8. MondayDad

MondayDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought the KTM brand center stand from my dealer ($225), a price that is pretty comparable to aftermarket stands. It went on easily after I downloaded the instructions from:

www.ktm.com/manuals

Note that the standard bike manuals (search box "790 Adventure...") are at the top in various languages and the add-on parts "manuals" are available via a separate search box at the bottom of the page after searching for the model. The document id is the same as the part number in the case of the center stand. I found that document id by searching the Powerparts web page.

I read in here somewhere that an inmate had trouble installing the springs. They may not have had the instructions, as the instructions made it REALLY easy. Just put the springs on the top and bottom carriers (2 rubber-wrapped springs, very taut!), push the center stand up into it's "retracted" position, then install the long bolt with washer through the stand into the lower spring carrier. The threads are barely long enough to reach, but they do. Tighten the bolt into the carrier making sure that the tab on the lower carrier goes into the corresponding groove in the stand. You don't even need a spring puller! I did have to use both a tap and die (M8 x 1.25) to run the threads for the rubber bump stop as the stand had been painted after threads were cut and the paint made installing the bump stop difficult (the rubber spun on the "bolt" as there's no hex to use to turn it with a wrench). The threads on the bump stop itself were also questionable. After cleaning both up, it installed smoothly and was locked by a nylock nut on the top side.

As for operation, I found it fairly hard to get up on the stand as the lever action is not very long and you have to pull the bike back onto the stand. I am used to lifting the rear of the bike as I deploy the stand (Honda, BMW), but that didn't work well here. I'm betting it would be really hard with packed bags! The rear wheel is not lifted much, definitely not 2", but it's enough to perform chain and rear wheel maintenance. The stand is narrow with nothing sticking out to catch on brush.
  9. mulefan3220

mulefan3220 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad you got it to fit.
    Finally got the fuel tank replaced under warranty last week. Had to go back and forth with KTM a couple times (over a 6 week span) on the photos but they finally took care if it.
    windblown101, BHoward and EvilSteve like this.
  10. Ten Speed

Ten Speed Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm putting Oxford heated grips on my bike, wiring to the headlight connector. Where did you run your wire if you did this too.

Thank You for any replies.
  11. RJ Str8

RJ Str8 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I installed Koso Apollo heated grips today and wired them to the ACC2 outlet in the headlight. Ran the wires into the trap door under the headlight housing. I removed the front fender (fromR model) and had to fish out the ACC2 connector from a tangle of wires but much easier than removing he headlight assembly. I had to trim the wire on the Apollo quite a bit and put red spades on the ends but pretty simple overall. I then zip tied the cable from the grips to existing cabling from the handlebars to make it all nice and neat.
    SoilSampleDave likes this.
  12. mulefan3220

mulefan3220 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Getting to those ACC connectors on my 19 was a pain in the ass. They stuffed 10lbs of crap in a 5lb box inside that headlight assembly. It’s a pinched wire / elec short waiting to happen in there. Would have made way more sense to put those relayed ACC connectors by the battery and just give us a plug a play connector in front of the tank for heated grips. Love / hate relationship with big Orange sometimes.
    JP4 and billiards101 like this.
  13. hubilado

hubilado Motoquiero Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those Koso Apollo grips have a fuse in the wiring harness (as I'm sure you know). I found out (not the easy way) that it's a good idea to leave that fuse holder somewhere where it can be accessed without undue stress.
  14. RJ Str8

RJ Str8 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great point. Fortunately saw that and zip tied the holder to a cable bundle that is readily accessible.
  15. offroadjunky

offroadjunky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do like the built in temperature control of those grips.
    SoilSampleDave likes this.
  16. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had Koso heated grips on my 690 and loved the built in controller design. Sadly I seemed to accidentally bump it often with my thumb.

Luckily I've never had issues with the discrete controller of the KTM heated grips. Had them on three bikes. In fact I retrofitted the discrete controller onto my 1190 as I absolutely hated having to dive into the multi function contoller/menu system just to turn them on or adjust the heat level. I'm mostly a form follows function type.
  17. offroadjunky

offroadjunky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't find the ktm controller that discrete and I actually liked having the grips control built into my 1190 console.
  18. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Haha, yes so fun getting into that headlight. As you probably know, there are in fact ACC 1 and ACC 2 connectors on the same circuit under the seat, and it would probably be a lot easier to run wires forward from there. I've had the headlight assembly apart three times now, and while it does get easier, it's still a pain in the ass. To make it all even more cramped in the headlight assembly, in addition to the grip wires, there's the cruise control harness, Garmin transformer for my Zumo, and the relay for my Cyclops Aurora's packed in there.
  19. SEK_Nick

SEK_Nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Be VERY CAREFUL reassembling. The wire bundle going in to the key/immobilizer module on my bike failed (broken wire) and KTM denied the warranty claim, stating that "the wire bundle was not positioned properly after reinstalling the headlight." This ended up costing me $680 to repair, and I'm still trying to get it covered under warranty.
  20. Ten Speed

Ten Speed Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got my heated grips and zumo installed. The headlight was not as bad as I was expecting. I did not shove all the wires in there though. They a zip tied to cables and bracket supports.