KTM 790 Adv accessories, Modifications and Upgrades

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Feb 5, 2019.

1. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I never cared much for the rear plastics. Especially didn't like how my day bags or travel luggage laid with them on so I've been running without them. However I'm going to install a power plate pre filter and because of where it sits it would be wide open on the sides for water splash, branches, etc to get to it very easily.

So taking my queue from some others I've fabbed up some side plates that sit flush with the frame. All I had on hand to make them with was some clear plastic. It wont stay clear long but I'm kind of digging it in clear. Might leave it that way for a minute.

20200926_154402.jpg
    RockyBill, kzeb, alonad and 6 others like this.
  2. NoCo68

NoCo68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

To be clear you mounted the KTM center stand on your 790? My dealer says they’re still waiting DOT approval and aren’t available until December. Keeps getting pushed out.
  3. designo

designo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After spending a 450 mile day on the stock seat, I'm considering a Corbin. Do you have a 79R? does the Corbin restrict movement when you are standing off road? Have you ridden all day with it? how did it compare to stock? - Thanks
  4. Dirck1

Dirck1 n00b

Oddometer:
    Posted another installment on our 790 Adventure project bike over on MotorcycleDaily.com. Focus is on SW-MOTECH tank bag and rear rack. FE752A49-6330-4E0B-9F63-0E7E8D345EE2.jpeg F6F8ECF3-3806-4AA0-A187-DD4B404CD5DA.jpeg F6F8ECF3-3806-4AA0-A187-DD4B404CD5DA.jpeg
    SW-MOTECH NA likes this.
  5. Calif-790R

Calif-790R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We need a 19/17 Sub-Forum for "How the S should have come from the factory" lol

Both bikes 1.jpg
    SoilSampleDave and RockyBill like this.
  6. sims159914

sims159914 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice!

and +1 for Solid Performance! They are around the corner from me.
  7. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't gotten to meet them in person but they took care of me when my shock needed rebuilt and they turned the job around in record time. That kind of service earned a spot on the bike.
  8. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually Supporter

Oddometer:
    In person is a very good experience. As is the phone.

Everything in their shop is out in the open. Meaning you can see the guy wrenching on the bike in one corner, suspensions being built in another. Well organized and very clean look to the place.

People working there seemed like they enjoyed their job. Which extends to the customer.

I’ve been to a few ktm dealers, this is by far my favorite and it’s not very big. Idk, just got the feeling they all eat and breath ktm and the entire shop could whoop me out on the trail :lol3

And i like that
    sims159914 likes this.
  9. SW-MOTECH NA

SW-MOTECH NA Proudly distributed by Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
  10. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Your butt is different than every other butt out there. Do your self a favor and get a custom fit seat made specifically for your butt. I got an https://www.mredsmoto.com/mredsmoto and really like the seat. It's excellent for both street and dirt, standing and sitting. AND you can have the seat biased towards one or the other IF you want. They made it while I waited and had me sit on the seat multiple times as it was being fabricated. There are other shops out there that will do the same.
    2much2do and Davethestick like this.
  11. UndeadBane

UndeadBane n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey folks!

just wanted to share the result of a lowside with Outback Motortek tank guards, center stand and luggage carriers installed.

It was uneventful classic lowside, flat slippery asphalt + wet + Karoo 3, nothing spectacular besides sparks. The speed about 45..55km/h.

TL;DR: it didn’t bend anything on the bike as I feared, but it is bent a tad too much for my liking from such an impact. I now installed AXP plate instead - lighter and strength-wise doesn’t seem any worse.

Either way, should be useful for purchase decision.

84E344E0-E671-49AE-80C7-579A7899C91A.jpeg D89E7379-ABBB-4C38-B1FA-6CE5A26B31A2.jpeg 35035ACE-2AFA-4FB5-B337-013BC3FE405C.jpeg 3C412725-E831-4AE2-A6A5-783D62CD43B8.jpeg 193B7C84-A577-432C-BA97-878DF6EA6489.jpeg 0E41E63C-1C8B-47C3-AAD9-539B3D7DD54E.jpeg A557BB14-DAE5-4453-B57C-52B6E51817A3.jpeg 7EA97697-60AD-4624-AF12-73BD4F4786A7.jpeg 9C345F34-659F-4A60-9115-5F0D5884DF5A.jpeg 8963C52B-5783-4742-9911-9ED0A9D89CCF.jpeg
  12. spaceman_spiff

spaceman_spiff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the guard bent in and hitting the tank?
  13. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Here's the 'problem' with the Outback engine guard. (It's not really a problem). Where the guard bent in is at the upper portion of the guard. This particular guard is basically unsupported at the upper end. It's kinda cantilevered out there. I use a SW motech guard that 'solves' this problem by using higher guard supports, This adds a lot of support to the upper portion of the guard. However, these attachement points are attached to the engine. So, the force is transferred to the engine. I don't like that. So, your kinda damned if u do, and damned if ya dont. IMO, the engine guard did what it was suppoed to do.
  14. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you aren't hurt.....if a bent bar is the topic of discussion..I would say all is good...

on a much more sarcastic note... is it possible the low side was caused by the extra 80lbs you have bolted to your bike?.... hahahaa
    RockyBill, UndeadBane, alonad and 2 others like this.
  15. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve.

Oddometer:
    Is it possible that it wasn't?
    Nowwhat likes this.
  16. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I low sided(rallz, wet metal joint, tight turn, bad combo to take aggressively) with nothing but axp plate and I do have oem rack (it barely touch the asphalt) and the axp held fine still usable.. Don't see a need to add crash bars,
    ramirin, kubcat, Venturer and 2 others like this.
  17. UndeadBane

UndeadBane n00b

Oddometer:
    Yup, it is. Considering the energy of the impact, less than stellar result: touching tank during the event is okay-ish. Staying plastically deformed after - nope.

Well, it ate some energy of a not-so-violent impact, after which it is now plastically deformed and lost a third of its thickness to the grind.

Thing is, if dropping the bike on a flat hard surface makes the bars deform so much - these are ah-okay bars at best, especially considering the price (and yeah, weight).

The suspended end is not deformed by the way - it seems (after detaching them today) the plates that connect it to the U-bar in the front got bent - and that’s already a sin. This means, the load distribution in the frame is...well. Let’s say, not optimal and unlikely to have been actually calculated at all.

There are ways to make suspended end distribute load across the frame/box - I designed several car bumpers this way, which I derived from a well known Australian manufacturer of those.
    Basically, before the end starts moving towards the protected object, all its supports have to first be deformed.
    Here no such though process was applied, evidently.

At least it didn’t damage the mounting points and the bike frame.

My bike lifts! :D
    Nowwhat, spaceman_spiff and Migolito like this.
  18. Marcham

Marcham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just don't trust the kazoo 3 in the wet, the grip seems unconsistent. In the dry though I have no complaints.
    Venturer likes this.
  19. mulefan3220

mulefan3220 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The AXP accomplishes the same thing as a set of crash bars but it’s better because it’s plastic and goes back to its original position if you happen to lay the bike down. Metal bars bend and thus bend other parts on your bike and the paint scratches off of them and they catch things causing a much more abrupt stop. If you low side in the dirt with that AXP, the bike will slide to a stop. When I low sided mine with crash bars in the mud, the bars dug into the mud and the bike came to a hard stop and it bent two brackets and cracked the gas tank at the mounting bolt. I had a low side slide out on a gravel road with the AXP and soft luggage full of camp gear and it just slid to a stop. The plastic is scratched but you don’t really notice because its black plastic all the way through. No paint to damage. AXP is also much lighter than that SW Moto setup.
    kubcat and CaseyB like this.
  20. UndeadBane

UndeadBane n00b

Oddometer:
    It's even more: AXP loads the tank up more-or-less like the stock plates do (minus the rubber bumper, which IMHO they could've added an attachment point for too), which distributes load better over larger area and higher number of mounting points => less force on each individual one of them.

Why I picked Outback Motortek over AXP was the center stand (convenience!) and the fact that they actually dropped the machine on rocks on video.

From what I can conclude from deformations and grind result and out of the fact that instead of high quality bolts it was shipped with turd 10.9 class non-torx bolts is: the steel, used for production, is significantly different (aka "cheap low grade low carbon plastic construction steel" different) from what was used for the video. So, turd material combined with less than stellar design, not optimized for it, it makes the result at best "ah-okay" and undoubtedly losing to higher quality AXP.

Also, I don't particularly like the SW-Motech or Touratech bars for 790 - they don't seem as well thought through, as, say, ones for Versys, or Da Goose, or Yamahas etc. I'm sure, the materials and mounting stuff is high quality - the design itself looks questionable to me.

Now I come to the conclusion, that AXP/Rade reinforcements (for the slide) are the better way to go.
    Still wanna a centerstand though - I'm planning to build something out of the Outback Motortek one, as a hobby project, that is possible to combine with AXP (looks easier than it sounds).