KTM 790 Adv accessories, Modifications and Upgrades

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Feb 5, 2019.

1. spaceman_spiff

spaceman_spiff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I understand the desire for a centerstand because it's convenient. In reality though, how often does anyone actually need one? I've only ever used a trail stand and can't understand how to justify the big cost and high weight of adding a centerstand once I weigh out the pros and cons
    alonad, BHoward and Nowwhat like this.
  2. MeVoGTC

MeVoGTC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use centerstands on all my bikes, just to make them fit in the garage with my wife’s car. The 790 is the first bike I’ve had in 15 years without one. I originally planned on one, but bought a trail stand to tide myself over till the KTM stand came to the US. Since then, I’ve discovered how easy it is to just lift the rr and move it. So It may stay off for awhile....
    spaceman_spiff likes this.
  3. UndeadBane

UndeadBane n00b

Oddometer:
    One of the nice “side effects” of center stand was that I could take my laptop with me, ride far away and have a perfect standing working place on the bike’s rear.

gotta figure out, what to do now - probably, would have to find a place to put handlebars against.

And, of course, chain stuff.

Convenience with capital C, especially if you are like I, with no garage.
  4. spaceman_spiff

spaceman_spiff Long timer

Oddometer:
    How's that for a standing desk?? Ha ha too awesome!
    UndeadBane likes this.
  5. SirWreckaLot

SirWreckaLot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally put a hole in my fuel tank. Has anyone had any luck fixing it?

Did a ton of research on gasoline friendly fillers and used JB weld plastic bonder. Did tons of prep worked for a month then it softened up and “rubberized” the started leaking.

Going to try to plastic weld it.

Also, swingarm bolt coincidentally came loose at the same time. No lock tite. Fuel leak honestly couldn’t have happened at a better time. May have saved me from a highway crash cause that bolt literally fell out at the same exact moment as my fuel leak. Crazy timing. Check your swingarm bolts, they connect to the same rod so you have to tighten them at both sides at the same time.
    SoilSampleDave and Flatroads like this.
  6. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I think I understand where you got your username.
  7. designo

designo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear you have a hole in the fuel tank. I would be curious to know the details. About welding the plastic (I assume it is polyethylene ). Where I used to work, we did a lot of polypropylene welding with a special welding gun. If you are going to try to weld the tank, I would suggest using the same principal as the welding gun uses. It melts the plastic filler rod and simultaneously the parent plastic. The key is that it melts the 2 together without allowing the melt to oxidize which would create a weak bond. The welding gun is expensive ($4K) but Horrible Freight sells a cheap version; worth a try for $70.00. https://www.harborfreight.com/plast...r-motor-and-temperature-adjustment-96712.html Let us know what happens and good luck.
    SirWreckaLot likes this.
  8. SirWreckaLot

Oddometer:
    I’ve done my fair share of metal welding but have never messed with plastic. Like you said, I don’t want to oxidize it. Just want to melt and mix then slowly build up layers. It’s on a corner so if things work out (which is unlikely) I’ll build it up to a solid chunk of plastic.

If anyone else has any input I am all ears. I already know this is going to be a sh*t show, but figured might as well give it a try before spending all that on a new tank. -Figure what do I have to loose besides $100-200 on the kit
    Nowwhat likes this.
  9. SirWreckaLot

Oddometer:
    Is polyethylene the same thing as HDPE?
  10. designo

designo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stands for high density polyethylene. If you can use filler rod labeled, my guess it should be OK.
    Any photos and details of the hole and how it happened? Covers wore through? Low slide?

Another thought would be to take it to someone who welds plastic professionally. I did a quick Google search for "plastic welders near me" and came up with a few places. They do fabrications and plastic welding. They should be able to do it right.
  11. mulefan3220

mulefan3220 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I fixed the crack in mine by taking a soldering iron and melting the tank plastic back together. Trenched out the crack with the soldering iron then smeared it back over itself. If you use the plastic rods that come with those kits, it won’t work very well because it’s not the same plastic. That stuff will just peel off. Is yours an actual hole or just a crack in the plastic?
  12. Dirck1

Dirck1 n00b

Oddometer:
    Just posted our 4th article on mods to the 790s on MotorcycleDaily.com. Dramatic reduction in hand grip vibes by adding KTM OEM bar-end weights from the 890 Duke R, and Progrip Rally Grips. 100520Middle.jpg 100520Topi.jpg
    hansmole and TNWalker like this.
  13. Netaron

Netaron Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Unless this is mentioned, I was installing the KTM heated grips and started taking things apart as noted here, 790 Adventure FAQ and another site, but once I removed the TFT, I noticed the Auxiliary 12V plug under the dash was removeable. Popped it off and what do you know, both the ACC1 and ACC2 are accessible; this is on a 2020 790 Adv. R btw. IMG_5183.JPG
    CaseyB and JP4 like this.
  14. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Yup. Lots of us have replaced that stock 12v accessory socket with a dual USB charger. I used one with a voltmeter in between the USB ports. Plug and play.
    Netaron likes this.
  15. fbga

fbga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But unless I am mistaken you still need to pull most of the headlight assembly screws out to be able to pop the 12v plug out (and most importantly in order to properly fit it back).

926633BE-BF69-404D-BF8F-9F08704CA25A.jpeg
  16. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    The cover that the 12v accessory plug is mounted in is just sandwiched in between the headlight housing halves with small plastic tabs holding it in. You can loosen some of the fasteners so that you can separate the housing enough to pull that panel out with the plug in it. The biggest challenge is that the wires may not be long enough to easily work with. A work around would be to make short jumpers for the positive and negative to extend the wires. I think someone here did that. Also, the factory plug may or may not match your new usb plug. On mine I think I had to push the connectors out of the factory plastic plug and then was able to attach them directly to the usb outlet. I had to crimp the connectors a little so that they would stay connected solidly without the plastic plug there to hold it on. Not hard work, just kind of fiddely.
  17. Netaron

Netaron Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What JP4 said; also, you can feed/fish the grip wires from the back of the headlight housing assembly where it connects to the frame/steering stem tube.
    JP4 likes this.
  18. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Haha, I'm getting senile, I was talking about replacing the 12v accessory plug, but now that I look back I see we are talking about the ACC 1&2 wires. I think if you're lucky you can get at those from the little panel on top or the pop off cover underneath. Also those little corner covers pop off and you might be able to stick a light or a hook through those to manipulate things. Or go the easy way and run a wire from the rear ACC circuit under the seat. If all else fails, taking the headlight out isn't too bad if you are very patient and don't disturb where all the wires are sleeping.
    Netaron likes this.
  19. Netaron

Netaron Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I ended up removing it all as I'm also in the process of replacing the left combo switch with CC and also adding auxiliary lights. But if someone is just installing heated grips or any other accessory, the ACC1&222 plugs are easy to access.
    JP4 likes this.
  20. fbga

fbga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It isn’t bad at all! If you own, have owned or lurk on the G310GS forum you know 790 owners have it super easy...
    I installed a Voltmeter / USB combo on the 310GS and you need to take 4 times as many screws out than the 790. It seems the bigger GS are also much more of a PITA than the 790 in this department...
    JP4 likes this.