KTM 790 Adv accessories, Modifications and Upgrades

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    We're just having fun with you... It's Friday. Half of us are drunk already.
    TrailTrauma and slowkiwi like this.
  2. hubilado

hubilado Motoquiero Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pretty much like our 1090R setup with a R80. Rear placement is necessary if two-up travel is anticipated. Among a number of other journey's we traveled across Canada in the summer of '19 with this arrangement. No issues with the luggage placed that far back...at least on the heavier 1090R. Sorry couldn't find pix.
  3. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Willing to share the design and/or STL? I'm lazy and you've already done all the work.
    brianpc likes this.
  4. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Climbing anchors are cheap and rated for 25KN

[​IMG]
  5. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just realized that the 790 also has those bolt holes behind the passenger pegs. well, mine does for another week or so anyways.
  6. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    What passenger pegs?
    braaap!, flamingm0e and fbga like this.
  7. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    the ones that will soon be replaced by some fine European strap anchors when they show up.
    kubcat likes this.
  8. zoo

zoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I couldnt find anything available for my saddle bag strap mounts so I just made some up that allow for two different strap locations. work great. Removed the rear pegs. 20210410_164731.jpg
  9. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I finally got around to installing my HDB guards today. As expected, extremely stout guards, but with some challenges.

I was running my handlebars in the furthest forward position, I liked that setting for riding up on the pegs, the more stretched out ergos work better for me. I emailed HDB before I ordered the guards and asked if they can be used in ALL handlebar positions on the 890, and was told that yes they could - take my money, put 'em on a truck.

After COMPLETLEY installing them, I found out, that is only true if want to use the TFT as a steering stop. :dirtdog

Now I'm no mechanical engineer, but that seems like a bad plan, so off they come and the trial and error installations commence. It turns out that the clamps have to be in the middle hole, spun around so that the bars are in the rear-most position in order to provide a bit of clearance when the bars are hard over. Once I figured that out, off they came AGAIN so blue loctite and appropriate torques could be applied. To top it off, I did a bit of juggling with one of the mirrors while installing it, and I'm not a proficient juggler, so I'll be ordering up a spare or two on Monday.

The whole installation just pissed me off for some reason. Then I realized I'd only had one coffee. So I brewed up a cup and sat and watched last weekend's Moto3 race. That made me feel better. Then me and the missus hopped in her fun vehicle, a 2011 BMW 135i cabriolet which is a ton of fun with it's sweet turbo 6 and 6 speed manual box, and went for a cruise out to a motorcycle themed cafe for takeout coffee and cinnamon buns.

I'll road test the setup tomorrow and see what I can deal with the bar position.

HDBCockpit.jpg

HDB Front.jpg

I have a set of white plastic, I think I like them better.
    kzeb and TrailTrauma like this.
  10. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I doubt they'd do it, but I'd love to see Mosko or somebody offer these for their bags.. Probably too much "bike-specific" development required.

I'll pay well for a set that's metal / plastic that won't shatter / etc. Good design!
  11. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ummm, they do. Hardware they supply bolts right on.

PXL_20210411_041306245.jpg
  12. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mosko were talking about having a quick disconnect system in one of their recent(ish) blog posts. I think a lot of people have their soft luggage set up way at the back of the bike and on the rack so, having a hard-mounted quick detach type setup would work there but I generally have my reckless system mounted much further forward.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  13. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree, having the center of gravity of the bags in front of the rear axle greatly improves the offroad handling.

When I made my racks for the Super Enduro, my goal was to move the load forward and down.

Most offroad riders do not carry a passenger.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rade Garage followed this principle when making the 790 racks.

[​IMG]
    kzeb, BHoward, ebrew and 5 others like this.
  14. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are now changing back though as it prevented the carrying of a pillion. The 790/890 is a travel bike, so will have a mix of uses, probably good to have both options. A solo off road setup, and a setup that works for a pillion. Never know when you're going to pick up a chick and give her a ride ;)
  15. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually, it forces her to wrap her legs around you.

Double win.
    lbever and Oceandiving954 like this.
  16. BMWBOB51

BMWBOB51 Going slower, but bench race faster :)

Oddometer:
    Looks like the bikes in my garage, but also a 1974 Norton Commando.
  17. slowkiwi

slowkiwi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    now why do you appear to assume that 'off road' and 'pillion' are separate activities? you just need to find the type of woman who likes adventure and doesn't mind getting dirty.. :-)

IMG_7743.JPG
    ibgary and Teamrat like this.
  18. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't. I did a lot of off road riding with a pillion in Bolivia, and other parts of South America. It does take more consideration when setting up the bike. Especially with luggage placement. Choice of pillion is also important. ;)
  19. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And has a ktm jacket :jack
  20. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Y'all are crazy.

Bike time is my time.
    levain, Noyah, fbga and 3 others like this.