1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

KTM 790 Adv accessories, Modifications and Upgrades

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Instead of using the dongles on my 690 (I did use them on my 1190) I bought some kind of box from a guy in Australia of eBay. I'm guessing that this addresses the "static" voltage issues of the dongles?
    Nowwhat likes this.
  2. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Found them on ebay....interesting.... thanks
  3. al803

al803 Tenere700

Oddometer:
    I think the difference in ground clearance between the Standard and the R is 30mm (23.3 cm to 26.3cm)
    GodFatherOfChill likes this.
  4. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Returned from a short trip and had received a package :)
    6643C3ED-1284-4EC7-B08A-9818E5A5540A.jpeg

Nice kit @alongat and the TCM Team!!
    Triple Clamp Moto Scotts Damper Kit 100819.jpg
    1coolbanana, Dusty, LC8TY and 5 others like this.
  5. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    alongat likes this.
  6. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn it! I’m feeling peer pressure!
    alongat and ibgary like this.
  7. braaap!

Oddometer:
    are you going to remove the oem damper?
  8. Gaulin

Gaulin Orange (& Blue) Crush

Oddometer:
    Made a few modifications:

20190801_184446.jpg

20190801_184506.jpg

Garmin Zumo 665 mounted with a Motominded GPS mount, AMPS 4 bolt Ramball and XM antenna bracket, and a female Ramball socket mounted to the Motominded mount.

A couple notes with this combination, I tried to reuse my old ramball, maybe 8 years old, but it wouldn't hold with enough force using the female socket. It took a 'set' over the years. New ramball and it holds very well. The Motominded mount is very sturdy, I also have one of the early shared design, and the Motominded is night and day stronger with built in potted threaded inserts for the flange mounts to the fairing and GPS to the adaptor. Highly recommended.

The 665 is a great unit but made for a couple problems on this install. Mounting the antenna was easy with the bracket, but does add cantilevered weight. Time will tell if I need to modify. The garmin wiring harness has lots of crap and excess length. Auxillary mic and speaker wires, cut those off, but the XM antenna can probably be shortened but not easily due to the small connections. So I had a long length of wire to hide inside of the headlight mask. I found space but used every nook and cranny. Yes, the XM is a luxury item but negligible for weight and I like my Howard Stern and NAVWeather it gives me.

Next mod, I picked up a cheap MRA Vario shield from a VStrom with the spoiler. The spoiler is bolted to the screen on this model, not clipped on. So I drilled mounting holes on the stock R screen. Looks not bad, folds down flush to meet stock height when I want. First 100 km test, makes a difference and worth the $50 trial. I'll report back after more km. I don't get bad buffeting, I'm just after a little less wind noise for long trips. (Yes, I use very good ear plugs).

Last but not least is a 3BR USB charger on the left side snap out piece in the fairing. I've used these for several years and they're great. Waterproof and durable. Primary purpose of this charger is for my Sena 10R charging on the fly. Charger on left, and Sena on left side of helmet. For long touring days, it needs a top up after about 10 hours. The charging cord adaptor they supply used with the charger is waterproof so no worrying about long distances charging in the rain.

Both wired to switched power as the GPS has battery backup for 1/2 hour so I can plan and look with the ignition off, and I've killed a battery before with a constant on USB charger. The transformer doesn't draw a lot, but enough time passes and things can go bad.

https://www.motominded.com/collections/ktm-2019-790/products/ktm-790-gps-mount

https://buybits.com/int/en-CA/ultim...yout-to-1inch-25mm-ball-female-sku-10294.html

Panel TAPP is the one I used:
    https://www.3brpowersports.com/products.php
    Patj551, braaap! and CaseyB like this.
  9. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    Here is a fix for a very minor issue with these bikes. I'm not sure why the gas cap is set up so the key is needed to close the darn thing. I will be putting my Scotts steering damper on soon, and thought I would take care of this first. You need to take out the 2 Phillips screws to remove the cover over the latch pawl, and the spring and pawl will probably go flying across the floor, just as mine did here.

IMG_20190810_122512.jpg
    When you have retrieved the pawl and spring, take the pawl and mark the black area, which will have to be removed to allow the pawl to move when the key is removed.

IMG_20190810_122548.jpg
    I started by drilling in the center of the black area, just to the floor of the cavity, then finished the process with a die grinder and a barrel-shaped bit.

IMG_20190810_123310.jpg
    The easiest way to re-assemble this for me, was to hold the pawl and spring in place with my left hand, slide the cover in place with my right hand, then install the screws with my remaining hand. YMMV.
    Now, after opening the gas cap with the key, I can put the key back in the ignition lock, then just push the gas cap closed when I'm done refueling.
    For extra credit, I also took the lock cylinder out, and removed the tumblers, just to prevent any issues with a sticky lock down the road. That is a little more involved, and not something I would necessarily recommend, as it would be pretty easy to screw it up and end up having to buy a new gas cap assembly.
  10. Gaulin

Gaulin Orange (& Blue) Crush

Oddometer:
    Brilliant, thanks for this. Even without the Scott's damper issue, just normal filling, this is a minor annoyance at times, needs two hands to hold the key in the correct rotation while latching with the other.

I'm guessing the cap assembly could be removed and this operation performed on a bench ? My luck I see the spring falling into the tank otherwise.
  11. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ya, i took it off along with the bar risers. Ill see if i can put the oem damperbon the wifes bike.
    braaap! likes this.
  12. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    I likey, think a dremmel would do the trick? If you live in Co, maybe I'll come by, i could use your 3rd hand.
  13. braaap!

Oddometer:
    @AdvRonski Brilliant fix! A perfect example of the ‘good’ here in the OC!
    Thanks
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  14. Nelso

Nelso All the gear-no idea

Oddometer:
    Cross post from main 790 thread...

I've found a great cost effective way to mount my Garmin Zumo. I had a RAM X-Grip that lost one of its rubber tips so I pulled it apart and used the ball mount part. I drilled a single hole through the centre and another through the KTM mount then used stainless bolt, nut and washer to attach them all. The Zumo comes RAM-ready so just mounted it all up.
    The KTM GPS mount flexes and bounces a lot which concerned me that fatigue would kick in and fail eventually, so the winning part of all this was wrap a cable tie around the GPS mount and back through an X-Grip arm slot and snug up. It is now rock solid and barely moves even off-road.
    So there you have it - a great Garmin Zumo mount for virtually no cost as I already had all the bits in some form or another.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    braaap! likes this.
  15. braaap!

Oddometer:
    Dremelled out the little notch and it works like a charm... No more dickin' around with key in cap to set closed - Joy! Thanks again AdvRonski!

Plus 1 on the motominded GPS mount!

Motominded, meet Ally Frankenstein bracket :)
    View attachment 1831616

View attachment 1831622
    AdvRonski and ibgary like this.
  16. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd like to try the R windscreen before ordering one. Anyone in northen Colo willing to trade screens for a month? 907574273.jpg
    Send a PM.
  17. tzabcan

tzabcan Serial Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Have you taken a look at the underside of that "remove for GPS mount" part? The mounting tabs are paper thin. I'd bet the farm that it will fail eventually.
  18. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    The original damper should be removed when installing this kit - it becomes totally redundant.
    Venturer likes this.
  19. braaap!

Oddometer:

Aye! Thx Alon.
    Can’t wait to field test :)
    alongat likes this.
  20. Nelso

Nelso All the gear-no idea

Oddometer:
    What kind of farm do you have? :-)