KTM 790 Adv accessories, Modifications and Upgrades

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by Migolito, Feb 5, 2019.

1. FireDog45

FireDog45 Knockin' on retirement's door

Oddometer:
    The handles have been reported (and the pictures seem to confirm) to not be a good tie down point due the open design. They also appear to interfere with throw over style bags as well (think Mosko’s Reckless series)

2. SEK_Nick

SEK_Nick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I'm looking at Crap Flaps on ebay, and I'm seeing a number of options. It's probably too soon to say what's "Best", I'm looking mostly at the plastic ones instead of metal.

Who's bought a crap flap - did you pick metal or plastic, and why? Do you like the one you bought? Is fitment good? Links and pics!
  3. Thumper Dumper

Thumper Dumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    5A2A8190-ECE4-4C72-9B59-52D24D7BC434.jpeg 1C6406EF-7814-4568-9A7B-3D4CAECDDAB6.jpeg 6C4DBCF3-E2DD-4B9A-A871-570451B36044.jpeg Removed the catalytic converter. Sounds way better. Will test her out tomorrow.
    pwh, davyjones, The_Eccentric and 7 others like this.
  4. Oceandiving954

Oceandiving954 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. Oceandiving954

Oceandiving954 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. Thumper Dumper

Oddometer:
    I don’t have a scale but I would estimate it to be about 2kg. The decat pipe was made by a local exhaust manufacturer called Stealth.
    Oceandiving954 likes this.
  7. Norduro

Norduro Thumping

Oddometer:
    This is correct, the sub plate is not needed to remove the handles, but it allows the rack to be mounted in a better position relative to the seat (lower, more in line with the seating surface).

If you use the sub plate you have to remove the handles. Removing the handles obviously has pros and cons. With the handles gone there are indeed no strapping points available to mount something on the passenger seat. A dedicated luggage rack instead of the rear seat would of course easily solve this problem. I am sure options will start to pop up soon.
  8. AdamM001

AdamM001 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Texas (by way of Norway and Nova Scotia, Canada)
    Norduro,
    Which sandstorm tank bag is that? 4H?
  9. Norduro

Norduro Thumping

Oddometer:
    Yes, it is the Enduristan Sandstorm 4H. The 4H fits the 790’s tank shape better than the 3S I also tried, but it is not expandable. Then again, I have never used this feature on previous tank bags, who wants to have an overly tall tank bag?!

The 4H does not interfere with the handlebar, the controls and does not get in the way when standing up. Works very well for me.
    tshansen, cwk and AdamM001 like this.
  10. AdamM001

AdamM001 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Texas (by way of Norway and Nova Scotia, Canada)
    Shoot... was between that and the 4s (figure the 4E is too big).
    Thought the 4s and 4H would be about the same, except for added expandability ...
  11. Norduro

Norduro Thumping

Oddometer:
    Well, dimension-wise they are both similar and they both fit the 790 Adventure. The 4H just fits the shape of the tank a bit better because of its flexible underside and sidewalls. So, if you do not need the expandability and the rigidity of the 4S I suggest you take the 4H, otherwise the 4S will most likely work for you too, but there will be a bit more empty air below the tank bag where the fuel cap is. This should not be much of a problem since the bag itself is rigid.

Here are two fitment pics of the 4S from a German KTM board (not my pictures).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.
  12. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another home-made 'CrapFlap' about to be born :) 2.00mm aluminium waterjet cut - powder coat finish.

G-iT inspired flap sections to be lightly folded inward or outward to provide air flow but shield what's behind, from any crap flung.

790R CrapFlap Rev1.jpg
  13. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like the side plastics have been 'trimmed' out for the aft straps to route down back the frame... :dunno
  14. tzabcan

tzabcan Serial Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried a Mosko Moto Hood tank bag on their 790? Care to share some pics?
    ibgary likes this.
  15. Yzlvr

Yzlvr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any chance on selling some? Looks nice.
    braaap! likes this.
  16. Yzlvr

Yzlvr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. Thumper Dumper

Oddometer:
    No fueling changes. Seems to go better with the cat removed and the sound is way better.
    ibgary, tshansen and braaap! like this.
  18. tshansen

tshansen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What about the mapping? Do you do something with the ECU or do you think the lambda sensors will campensate
  19. Thumper Dumper

Oddometer:
    I have left everything stock. I want to see what happens before I make any changes or add ECU's etc. I'm not sure if the lambda sensor can compensate, and in all honesty I know too little about them to even try answer that question. So far I think the bike is going better but that could just be the lovely sound coming from the tailpipe :photogbut she does seem to have more power down low.

When I bought my 690 I bought just about any mod that came recommended and most where a waste of money so this time I'm going to only change what I think is necessary.
    tshansen likes this.
  20. NextAdventre

NextAdventre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone add Rox Risers yet? If so, how was the brake line length?
    ibgary likes this.