KTM 790 Adv accessories, Modifications and Upgrades

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by Migolito, Feb 5, 2019.

1. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Psyched. Mine were supposedly the last set that didn’t get shipped on the first order, or the first set of this order, however that makes more sense.

I’ve been waiting patiently, and keeping an eye on his vendor thread, but didn’t want to pester the poor cat, since they seem to be a pretty small operation, and he’s got a business to run.
  2. tomstrommer

tomstrommer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same here, except I had him move mine 20mm forward also. definitely helped, will post up a photo later.
    ibgary and SoilSampleDave like this.
  3. Mike in Roswell

Mike in Roswell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where are you located? My CC switch hasn’t arrived in Georgia yet
  4. Patj551

Patj551 Motorcycle & Empowerment Coach

Oddometer:
    Yes, it’s closer but there is only one keyed connector in head light assembly. I’m using that connector for my heated grips. Running the GPS power to the rear is pretty simple and gives me access to another keyed connector.

On a side note, if/when I sell the bike, the heated grips will stay installed in the rats nest behind the headlight. The GPS wiring harness will be easily removed.
    Velociraptor and TrailTrauma like this.
  5. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My QS doesn’t seem to be working like it did when I first got the bike if it is even working at all. I asked the dealer to look at it but they told me that it was a long convoluted procedure to recalibrate it and I needed the bike so I could not leave it for an extended period of time. I guess maybe because it’s all so new that dealers don’t understand how to fix it.
  6. lasher

lasher n00b

Oddometer:
    I got the tusk pannier set with rack meant for a 1290. Modified the rack to fit the 790. Was worth the work and money saved.

Pannier.jpg
  7. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NIce job! How difficult was it to modify the 1290 rack to fit?
    lasher likes this.
  8. lasher

lasher n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks. It was like building racks from scratch. All I could use were the hoops and tabs. I had to engineer the whole system since nothing lined up and the 1290 is much wider in the back. It took about 5 hours and really only needed three tools. Angle grinder, welder hammer.
  9. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It looks like the Tusk panniers/racks are less than half the price of the ones from swmotech/bumot/touratech. Unfortunately I have no welding skills. Maybe Tusk will make a set for our bike.
  10. Motopumps

Motopumps Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    What was involved in getting that suspension to fit the S?
  11. Aceyduce

Aceyduce n00b

Oddometer:
    If anyone is on the fence regarding their rack with hopefully the Xtremada cases let me know please. Trying to source a set before a weeklong trip in October.

Thanks!
  12. chippertheripper

Oddometer:
    AFAIK Jason gets a shipment monthly from bumot. So, unless he tells you otherwise, you could have a set in sept if ordered and they’re available.
  13. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    fastcash likes this.
  14. turbofan790

turbofan790 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tidy?

Looks like a trash can mounted to the side of the bike. Huge! Not a fan personally.
    goldneox and Patj551 like this.
  15. Gaulin

Gaulin Orange (& Blue) Crush

Oddometer:
    They're a great company, been around a long time. I've run their Denali clif-cut panniers for years. They're unique in they're very narrow - 6" protruding from the racks, but make up the capacity by having material in towards the racks as well. See the pic of them on my Strom.

High quality in workmanship, good welds, solid hardware and locks with a simple pin and groove hinge design. Always waterproof for me.

They dont have the aesthetics some might be after, no fancy chamfers and plastic finishing pieces. No quick release function, but just takes a couple bolt removal to take them off. I always opted to leave them on the bike at stops anyways. Very utility looking, but that's what I want.

For the racks, I'll give them mid points. They're mild steel, mine got a bit of rust at wear points. Minor for me, as I dont mind touching up with bed liner as necessary. The powder coating is decent quality, but have had a tiny bit of peel over the years. That's a lot of miles and abuse though. I consider mine paid for many times over.

My primary luggage for my 790R is MM Reckless 80, but if I do a strictly hardpack touring trip, my plan was to reuse my Denalis and get these racks. The mounting points on the 790 are so accessible, spending 15 minutes R&R-ing the racks for a dedicated trip is no big deal.

20190412_143744.jpg

I hope to talk with HT today and get some more info on overall width. I'll report back here with what I find out !
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  16. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I gave up on hard cases almost completely only use a top case for urban rides to store my helmet or my bag
    for longer trips and trips that might include off road sections only soft bags
    Yukon Ho! likes this.
  17. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info Gaulin I would definitely be interested to hear their reply.

I notice the panniers in your pic are recessed for the exhaust, whereas the HT rack for the 790 is just flat on the exhaust side so it takes a non-recessed pannier.

I wonder if the Tusk panniers would fit on the HT racks? I assume so, since you drill your own holes in them so they should fit on any flat rack.
  18. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  19. chippertheripper

Oddometer:
  20. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    He beat me to picking that exhaust so I am doing something more impractical
    TrailTrauma likes this.