KTM 790 Adv accessories, Modifications and Upgrades

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by Migolito, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Oceandiving954

Oceandiving954 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check out Coober, they say it does with factual data...
    www.coober.eu

Here is the last update of the decat setup.

Picture 1: Arrow De-cat. It is a good quality product, nice welds and fits good to the mounting spot

Picture 2: As expected the 790 Engine want allow any de-cat. Here we can clearly see and confirm what @kobi.liany already did with his 790. After a while the 790 goes in to the protection mode. This is a known feature from Bosch and mainly developed to protect the engine.

Picture 3: Here we can see stock, vs decat, vs, coober ecu with decat map. The bad news first, we are not going to release any de-cat map for the 790 and the reason, you can see at Picture 4. Even if we can override closed loop and do whatever on fuel, ignition, traction, torque ... but in fact no serious company is going to sell you something useless. Does not make sense at all, when the simple ecu setup is making more reliable power on stock setup.

Picture 4: Oil results. We got a chance to compare those results, with the older one from a simple pipe decat solution. Well as expected benzol gets more. This is a very well know issue on the 790. This happens if you disconnect your lambda, or if you flood your cylinder with fuel in lower rpm, or simply if you have no clue about thermodynamics

Picture 5: Heat, for those who understand the function of the cat converter. the 790 engine setup is made to have a thermodynamic management with cat-included. The info in pic 5 shows the difference between stock and decat in heat management under identical conditions. This makes it bit more clear why the stock es is fighting back sooner or later.

Conclusion. We love the 790 Engine. Very proud to be apart of its existing, but de-cat is still nothing that we would recommend. In fact no serious company is going to recommend it ever.
    turbofan790, Venturer and scfrank like this.
  2. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Challenge accepted hahaha.

With all respect to Coober. They are selling their way of doing things...which is a piggy back system.

Others are approaching it differently.

We will know soon enough
  3. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    let us know...i know a guy in israel did a decat and then went back to just a slip on because the bike was acting up and he has done a lot of these type of things (saw on FB)
  4. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got to manhandle that ECU hahahaha
  5. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the weird thing is that in the R/G video they show this pipe that is closed from both sides and connects to their mid pipe (they say its to ensure smooth running of the engine ) so i wonder if that fixes the problem others had and coober talks about
  6. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes it does.
  7. NoCo68

NoCo68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So are people in Colorado getting the CC switch now? I’m getting a lot of conflicting information between different dealers.
  8. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, my local dealer is not happy the the Denver store where i found the bike has them, but he is still waiting.
  9. empedrado

empedrado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got mine a couple weeks ago in sunny New Mexico, so did my buddy who ordered his at the same time.
    Mike in Roswell likes this.
  10. NoCo68

NoCo68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys.
  11. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A random thought.
    Can’t recommend more highly to dremel out the gas cap innards so it can be slammed shut and closed without having to use the key...
    See the FAQ.
  12. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Think Ill try that tomorrow. Yesterday i put on the CC switch and racks and mounted the Mosko Moto scout 25s. . Today Ill get the CC turned on and might have the steering head checked. Next month a trip up to the Black Hills now that the crowds are gone.
    Ill post up a pic later.
  13. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe we'll cross paths. I'll be heading west with a stop in the Blackhills along the way in September. :)
  14. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cruise control activation.
    Might want to shop around on this. The dealership where I bought the bike and ordered the switch said there was no activation fee, but they would not activate it until the switch was installed.
    The local dealer said there was no activation fee, but the software cost 220.
    I called the oragin dealer back to confirm there was no cost. They said they would check and call me back. 4 hours later they called back and said there was no activation fee, but they charged 1/2 hour for labor=60$. I asked about the software and they said there was no charge.
    I guess i paid 160$ for being impatient.
    The_Eccentric and Migolito like this.
  15. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Update on the C.C.
    Turns out I paid for the C.C. software when I made the purchase. Its on the invoice. It wasn't loaded because the switch wasn't available. Sun is now trying to get me merchandice credit, since I had the software installed here.
    I wish the service dept at Sun had told me I had already paid for it rather than saying there was no charge for it, "included with the switch". Its actually a seperate line item on the invoice.
    Good news is it works great.
  16. Mike in Roswell

Mike in Roswell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What weight saving are you anticipating?
  17. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    3kg (6.6lbs) per Rade website
    Mike in Roswell likes this.
  18. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I saw a pic on the previous page of the Touratech/KTM topcase, it looks great - I'm researching options for this bike for when I purchase one later this year, and wanted to know if anyone's running Givi topcases? I have an outback trekker case I love, and I'd use it on this bike. Is there a Givi mount kit for the monokey cases for this bike, or is it a SW motech "adapter plate" option?
    Great looking bikes!
    fiascoj likes this.
  19. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a top case rack available. Photo. PERUN, i think. It goes on well and great customer service and build quality. You'll need to order the dodads from Givi to go onto the plate. 1403137453.jpg
  20. Kanatako

Kanatako n00b

Oddometer:
    Go add PERUN rack to your bike, you will need some kit from GIVI to mount your topcase.
    They have part number and link specified in their site too.