KTM 790 Adv accessories, Modifications and Upgrades

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Feb 5, 2019.

1. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Inspired by @BlackDogCycleWorks I went downstairs into the garage last night, cracked a beer, and began looking at the bike for alternate grab points for lugging the bike sideways. Realized the exposed frame just behind the airbox was perfect. It's a reverse grip but it's nice and low and has a good hand feel. So I pulled off the bull horns, and then remembered the bolts are too long, and went looking for spacers. None to be had so I found a bag of odd bits of dense rubber flooring I used for the portion of my garage which has my bench, humidor, bar, and leather easyboy and cut and drilled portions to use as spacers. Works like a charm because it's dense enough to have integrity but malleable enough to flex. 2 pieces under each bolt location and it buttoned down perfectly. Then I pulled off the passenger pegs or in the parlance of this group .. the pax. ;) I like how the remaining rack naturally follows the angle of the seat. **Question: Did you guys replace the bolts when you removed the pax? Will those holes be prone to rust .. I could return them, or smear a bit of grease in each.

Can't hardly wait to drop this sucker again haha

Excuse the once again dirty bike...
    20190910_152237.jpg
    Noyah likes this.
  2. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Art.
  3. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I removed the "pax" I replaced the mounting bolts with shorter ones that would seat on the heads without bottoming out, so that the threads would not rust or clog. They are not stainless, however, so I should make that switch before too long.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  4. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    Switch to SS? I replaced all 6 an hour ago. The 4 larger seated fully, but the smaller 2 stick out a few mm. I'm slaver them with grease for now.
  5. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    Any hiking store will have side bags that attach to packs. Sometimes even a fanny pack will work, not that I'd even remotely know wth a fanny pack is .. *cough*
    Subaruvich likes this.
  7. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess today is Xmas (well chanuka for me) this also IMG-20190910-WA0013.jpeg
    chippertheripper and TrailTrauma like this.
  8. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Think I’ve been there!

[​IMG]

For the record. That's my buddies GS! I do ride a 790. Now.
    turbofan790 and TrailTrauma like this.
  9. tomstrommer

tomstrommer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    dido here, installed my switch went to dealer for programming. they spent a couple of hours and came back to me saying it wouldn't work, I asked if they tried the pairing sequence for the switch, didn't know what I was talking about. was running out of time so getting ready to leave and try again another day when the tech ran out and flagged me down said he found the sequence, few moments later all good. went in to settle with them as labor is extra. Manager apologized for the inconvenience and only charged me $40.00. I feel they made it right. my right hand was happy on the way home, thinking I'm going to like this feature.
    Brilloman and TrailTrauma like this.
  10. JBW70

JBW70 n00b

Oddometer:

I was just looking at this today myself as my pillion pegs are coming off to make way for the Sharon rally-style pipe from Rade Garage.....R&G Racing does a blanking plate which runs over the top between the two threads of the pillion pegs and bolts on (using new shorter bolts). The advantage of a plate (I guess) is that it then becomes another anchor point for luggage in a pretty convenient location. R&G is the only one I've come across so far, but there must be others...
  11. JBW70

JBW70 n00b

Oddometer:

Lucky buggers - they're quoting $500 AUD in Australia for cruise control! (including switchgear and fitting)
  12. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    I see...looks like a smart, simple product. https://www.rg-racing.com/browsebike/KTM/790_Adventure/2019/TH0027/

[​IMG]
    interactive3 and SoilSampleDave like this.
  13. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    Austria hates the commonwealth :dirtdog
  14. JBW70

JBW70 n00b

Oddometer:
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  15. JBW70

JBW70 n00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you certainly don’t want to piss the Austrians off...you never know what might happen!
    TrailTrauma and SoilSampleDave like this.
  16. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad its up. I'm very happy with mine. Heading toward Montana next week. It will be great on that trip, just wish I could get the heated handgrips on this week.
  17. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ibgary and TrailTrauma like this.
  18. Knolff

Knolff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Getting a good grip in the frame when the bike is on its side was a bit awkward so I’ve added these GL pulls and they’re working out great.

Attached Files:

TrailTrauma likes this.
  19. markbxr400

markbxr400 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    In my case because the passenger pegs were the first thing I yanked off. I'm also looking for some simple rear tie down points for a small soft rear bag.
  20. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    I had the same issue at my dealer. I installed the switch myself, and then they did the software download. After about an hours worth of head scratching, I asked if they tried the switch calibration procedure. Blank look. The service manager found it on youtube, and then all was well.
    The only issue I have with the Cruise Control operation, is how easily it shuts off when you are riding on a bumpy road. There must be a fairly low threshold for the G-sensor to kick the system off. The backroads around here are not very smooth, but it's even shut off on the freeway on a little G-out. Still, I do love this feature.
    TrailTrauma likes this.