KTM 790 Adv accessories, Modifications and Upgrades

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Feb 5, 2019.

1. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    I installed the switch myself also. Not a lot of fun even using the easier pull the complete headlight assembly off method. Anyway, I also noted that the CC would shutdown over bumps. Realized it was my hand on the throttle. The bump moves my hand and then the cc goes off. I tested by having my hand lightly on the bars and then hitting a bunch of bumps and the cc stayed on fine.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  2. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've only had my CC turn off once. I wasn't sure if it was the bike or if the bump caused my hand to twist the throttle forward. I hope it was my hand. I can do something about that.
  3. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    Well, in my case it wasn't my hand twisting the throttle in either direction. For one thing, it takes a very deliberate effort to roll the throttle forward to disengage the cruise, and opening the throttle does not turn off the cruise. And, in most cases, my hand wasn't on the throttle at all. I'm thinking they have it set to be a little too sensitive to G-forces created by bumps, I suppose to make sure that a rider doesn't fall asleep and run off the road under power.
    TrailTrauma and mlyamkaw like this.
  4. mlyamkaw

mlyamkaw Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer:
    I agree. I have had it happen to me several times. Don’t think it was me turning the throttle, one time I thought my hand was off the throttle side, but can’t remember for sure. I thought it might have been the traction control shutting the cruise down. Rear wheel goes in air, spins, shuts off cruise?
    ibgary likes this.
  5. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^ That!

Have had mine shut off several times on (sharp) bumps in the road... Huh? Thought I was imagining it, so I hit a cattlegrid with CC on (approx' 100kph) bike got some air and CC clicked off.
    Tested several times with same result. On the road if the bump is short and sharp (like a jolt) happens too.
    That fraction of rear wheel speed differential.
    ibgary and TrailTrauma like this.
  6. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    Let the dealers know it's happening. Sounds like a software update is in order.
  7. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think that’s as designed.
    ibgary likes this.
  8. AdvRonski

Oddometer:
    Here's an opportunity for some of you guys from Down Under to help out the rest of us 790 riders. If you live in the Brisbane area, kevxtx is an inmate who has developed an effective O2 sensor controller for the 690's and needs a 790 to develop a solution for us. If you can spare your bike for a bit, get in touch with him and set something up.
    Brilloman and braaap! like this.
  9. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    Well, maybe so, but it sounds like it needs tweaking. I’ve ridden bikes with cruise and it doesn’t cut out when you hit a bump.
  10. braaap!

Oddometer:
    Will post up on the local 790 facebook page too. I know a couple of guys up there in QLD.
    Hi @kevxtx :thumbup
    AdvRonski likes this.
  11. mlyamkaw

Oddometer:
    Would like to see him do the ABS wheels for the speed sensor like he did on the 1190s. I contacted him, but he seemed on the fence because the speed differential wasn’t as great as it was on the 1190. I am reading 3-4 MPH off against my GPS on my 790. It was dead nuts on with his ABS wheels on my 1190 after being around 5 MPH off stock.
    AdvRonski likes this.
  12. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's about what I'm seeing but I was using an app on a phone instead of a real GPS. Phone was telling me about 68 while the speedo was bounding between 71 and 72.
    mlyamkaw likes this.
  13. KTM Freak

KTM Freak Disgruntle Dirt Biker Supporter

Oddometer:
    I received my Perun Moto Rack today for my 790R. This was my first time ever ordering anything outside the US. Shipping directly from the manufacturer was only a week to the West Coast.

The item was packaged very nicely with high quality tape and lots of shrink wrap on the rack. The quality of the rack and hardware is outstanding. They even threw in a bunch of stickers with the order. Definitely no corners cut here with this manufacturer.

I need to look into other accessories they offer :super
    Perun, Mr D Hertz, voyer and 9 others like this.
  14. braaap!

Oddometer:
    I see a 7km/h discrepancy between speedo and Garmin 276Cx...
  15. GodFatherOfChill

GodFatherOfChill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone put a tool tube on the rear exposed frame yet? I’m looking for some mounting inspiration.

I use the Mosko Moto Reckless 80. When it’s on the 790 I feel like it fits better if the rear plastics stay on bc they provide some additional stability. However, I don’t like using the rear side plastics for that purpose. Also, the storage inside the rear plastics isn’t large enough for my needs.

I want to install 1 or 2 tool tubes like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KP1VXPV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_oQMEDbDS9C3RQ. They make a couple different sizes. I was thinking about the “big” tube on the left side (hoping to fit a spare 18” tube in it), and the “small” tube on the exhaust side (to hold a spare 21” tube).

I measured the exposed frame and it looks like the tool tubes may work with the Reckless 80. IMG_1848.jpg IMG_1849.jpg

Have any 790 owners installed a tool tube yet? Please send me pics!
  16. mlyamkaw

Oddometer:
    E1ED1F9B-F7C4-469E-84EA-CA94AA1223C7.jpeg B5F0AF7B-007C-44D8-BD1A-8DEA364FBB91.jpeg
    I haven’t installed mine yet, but I have a couple I am gonna put on both sides. I have to mount mine with the caps facing forward and down, since I have pannier racks. One has a recovery system, the other will have tools. I have a Bumot tool box that I will also have tools in on the left side pannier rack.
    GodFatherOfChill likes this.
  17. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fyi a 21 inch tube fits inside the stock rear plastics if you pull out the storage box.
  18. chippertheripper

Oddometer:
    EE skidplate showed up just now.
    This is what the inside looks like, along with the “feet” that attach at the rear to the peg mounts.
    It’s certainly well made, I just am not 100% sure I won’t high center slam this thing on a rock hard enough to crack the motor anyways.
    I’ll certainly have to remain alert and aware of my line choices (as one should with a 400lb+ scoot).
    47168DBC-4302-4C6D-84BA-D17B8DCCEB23.jpeg

32899D18-DEFB-4568-822E-BCFB58D6FEE5.jpeg
    Fabricator and SoilSampleDave like this.
  19. AdvRonski

Oddometer:
    That is a nice looking piece. How much does it weigh?
  20. chippertheripper

Oddometer:
    6.9lbs for the plate pictured as it is above, without hardware.