KTM 790 Adv accessories, Modifications and Upgrades

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Feb 5, 2019.

1. fiascoj

fiascoj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How much did this mod cost?
    Migolito likes this.
  2. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    $500 even.
    fiascoj likes this.
  3. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    These... @kubcat :)
    jelly snakes.jpg

Oh, tyre repair kit fits in the voids under the seat, 2 small pouches, 1 contains tyre plugs (snakes), tools and glue the other, 6 x Co2 cartridges and valve :)

tyre kit 1.jpg

tyre kit stowed.jpg

@TrailTrauma ... Yeah a DNR at my age given I hate hospital food and pain!
    Really though, if ever I'm so busted up, I simply don't wish to suffer thru pain, surgeries, rehab, convalescence etc and then potential long term disability = loss of life quality...

I knew a really nice bloke, married, kids, great business, middle aged... Out riding with mates and he crashes (a mate following behind inadvertently runs over him). Multiple, frightening injuries, endless surgeries follow which result in him being in ICU for nearly 12months...
    Finally released from ICU and in to a general ward with more corrective surgeries scheduled... 2 days later he suffers a massive brain bleed and dies. An utter, heart-breaking tragedy.

I'd much rather die, quietly on the side of the road...
    Migolito and TrailTrauma like this.
  4. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    I removed the cow horn grab handles on my bike a while ago, as I just didn't like them. Also, they didn't seem to be of much use as an anchor point, either. Unfortunately, there isn't much else to grab onto when it's time to pick the little girl up, so I made a couple of aluminum handles to remedy this. I also added a few holes as bungee cord anchor points, as well. A small project, but it does make it easier to pick up, gives me more anchor points, and even makes it easier to push the bike around in the garage.
    IMG_20190916_163607.jpg
    IMG_20190916_163619.jpg
    Toddv, snarf, garageengineer and 13 others like this.
  5. fastcash

fastcash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Smashy,
    Got the Happy Trails panniers installed along with Tim's new tail plate. The install on all products
    was very easy, fit was perfect, all hardware high quality. I'am using the Teton panniers, it is the middle
    size of the 5 sizes they offer.

For me I really like the boxes for commuting, very easy to throw stuff into daily. When I go
    hardcore offroading the boxes come off in 3 minutes and the soft bags go on (Mosko).

20190913_114040.jpg 20190913_114225.jpg
    Seems to be the best of both worlds. The width is right at 35 inches. 20190913_114127.jpg 20190913_110238.jpg

20190913_114158.jpg Some pics on my bike:
    Smashy, Fabricator and Migolito like this.
  6. edgy

edgy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey AdvRonski I see you have the Wings slip on as I do...have you decatted or not, finding my bike runs a bit rough with Wings and link pipe?
  7. Lars

Lars Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Brilliant! Is it a 8mm aluminium bar that you used for handles?
  8. factoryphil

factoryphil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    has anyone modified the throttle to make it easier to turn ?
  9. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    I have not de-catted yet, until someone comes up with a reliable solution for re-calibrating the fuel injection.

Lars, the material I used is 6061 alloy, 1/4 x 3/4 inch. Or, 6 x 19mm. You have to be careful about how small the radius of the bends are, as I cracked the first couple of handles I made, until I opened up the radius a bit. I think they look OK too, but really it's the functionality I'm pleased with.
    IMG_20190916_163548.jpg
    Lars likes this.
  10. Gaulin

Gaulin Orange (& Blue) Crush

Oddometer:
    Is that dimension actual measured fast cash? Their website shows 21.75" width of the racks, and 15" for 2 of the 7.5 Teton boxes for a total of 36.75"
  11. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't say where or when but I seem to recall a guy saying he modified the return spring I think. Implied it was a several banana job though. And then you have guys near the other end of the spectrum adding a very specific type of industrial grease to the throttle so that it becomes silky smooth without the herky-jerky nature it sometimes entails (low speed rally ThR, for instance). My research indicates guys that are very serious about their gaming controls use the same grease on their joysticks (etc? ha). I haven't tried it but I may...the grease...on my throttle. The return pressure from the OEM spring is said to return it to closed normally.

I'm curious Phil, it what situations do you wish you had an easier throttle turn?
  12. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    i'm tempted to try the grease, but i'm concerned about grime buildup over the longer term, and a stuck or sludgy throttle.
    Migolito likes this.
  13. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    Just think of that as an entropy driven, slow roll towards a built in cruise control someday down the road...:D
  14. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Ok, here's another thought about a mod that really isn't fixing anything that's broke. I'm really liking the fuel tank on the 790. I like the low center of gravity and that it also acts a little like a fairing. However, there's really no such thing as too much fuel...right. it seems to me there a bunch of available space in the plastics at the front of the bike. The hollow plastics. Maybe Acerbis will take a look and Invision a redesign to incorporate the area...?
    ibgary likes this.
  15. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    I found the front plastics area vulnerable to damage if you drop the bike in rocks. A simple drop punched in the rad almost a cm x 5+cm sq.

I've always had my eyes on a Giant Loop fuel bladder. Easy to carry on the rear and is weight that can be unloaded if need be (bike pickup etc). Plus once you transfer that back into the tank, you roll it up and stow it. I can never decide on a size though...they have several.
  16. factoryphil

factoryphil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    so after 25 days and 6,300 miles in a row the throttle action just off idle is too hard to turn . i am very picky about my controls
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  17. Defender90

Defender90 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would someone measure the KTM pannier mounting dimensions?
    - The hight / width of the mounting base
    - The diameter of surrounding pipe where the panniers mount
  18. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ibgary, Allucaneat and CaseyB like this.
  19. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. kzeb

kzeb Been here quite some time

Oddometer:
    I have had a big problem with the very fine vibrations in especially the throttle grip, there is a noticable freeplay in the tube that increase the situation which is easy to feel just touching it.
    So I used a bit of tejp on the handelbar under the tube and then ordinary wheelbeering grease and that did wonders for me.
    We will se how it will behave over time but it's easy to just remove the throttle tube now and then to check and I seriously doubt it will get stuck.. fingers crossed ..:eekers :muutt
    TrailTrauma likes this.