KTM 790 Adv accessories, Modifications and Upgrades

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Feb 5, 2019.

1. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why, Why , Why would the dealer wire the heated grips into the always on acc circuit!?!?! It was a bit chilly this morning on the way to work, so I had the OEM grip warmers on the second setting - which was perfect for the foggy mid 50 degree morning. Just went out to start it and nothing...:bash

Wife's out of town, so I called son - caught him at his place just before he went out for a ride. Now I'm waiting at work for him to get my jumper cables and come by for a jump. So disappointed in that dealership.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  2. garageengineer

garageengineer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I decided to use my lunch break to solve the 2-finger clutch lever problem the sensible way, with fire and sledge hammer.

First I marked the length I wanted the lever to be to fit my fingers, then chopped the rest of the lever off leaving a little extra to bend up and make an end stop.
    IMG_20190917_122633.jpg

Next I heat it up with a blow torch and started hammering the end flat
    IMG_20190917_122744.jpg IMG_20190917_123152.jpg IMG_20190917_124349.jpg
    Once I got the end stop bend how I wanted it I trimmed it and filed it down to the shape I wanted. I then sanded it smooth and gave it a light polish. As insurance I heat the whole thing up again with the blow torch in case I had stressed any of it during the hitting and filing, and let it cool down naturally.

IMG_20190917_135701.jpg IMG_20190917_141243.jpg IMG_20190917_140943.jpg IMG_20190917_140915.jpg

It's not perfect but I'm happy with the results. My gloves should continue polishing it up while I use it. Next up is the brake lever.
    Toddv, econwatch, Kikemon and 17 others like this.
  3. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Amateur mistake. Simple solution - dealer makes it right, and comps you that service naturally. Get one of those booster packs - I picked up a antigravity one. Very, very compact. My dealer had the "Sport" on the shelf so I grabbed that one. It's honestly the size of 2 of my cell phones stacked on top of the other.

https://antigravitybatteries.com/productline/micro-starts/

I'm not saying it's in any way a solution to your grip issue, but it is peace of mind for many unforeseen, or overlooked power draws; accessories in particular. (GPS etc etc)
    ibgary likes this.
  4. Motopumps

Motopumps Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am going to do that when I return from this trip. I installed the Camel ADV 1 finger clutch conversion before leaving and love it. Wider engagement and lower lever effort. Win, win! Excited for the shorter lever. Nice execution.

Rob
    Rudderfeet and braaap! like this.
  5. garageengineer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I also added the Camel ADV 1 finger clutch a week or so ago, it works great, the only problem was crushing my ring and pinky fingers.
    Rudderfeet and TrailTrauma like this.
  6. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Almost too low of an effort :lol2 I've only given the bike a test ride after installing the clutch conversion yesterday. Clutch engagement range now better matches my likes.
    Rudderfeet, Venturer and TrailTrauma like this.
  7. fastcash

fastcash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gaulin,
    Yes, I measured 35 1/4 max width. Also I failed to mention that the racks both have
    really well placed grab handles.
  8. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice work @garageengineer !!

Thought about doing same, but went with a bit of Raximo bling :) Nicely made, will compliment the @Camel ADV clutch actuator when it finally gets here... :augie

Raximo Shorty Levers.jpg

Approx' 30mm shorter than the OEM levers! Schweet!
    ibgary and garageengineer like this.
  9. kubcat

Oddometer:
    I have one but didn't put it back in the tank bag after the last recharge. It's back in the bag now.

I'm not planning on letting this particular dealer ever work on my bikes again. Soon I will crack the headlight fairing to wire in the GPS and also the led signals. When I do, I'll also rewire the grips.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  10. kubcat

Oddometer:
    Have you tried the middle position for the clevis? It's probably a bit more resistance, but still much less than stock.
  11. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aluminum softens with quenching in water after heating.
  12. garageengineer

Oddometer:
    Good thing I didn't do that :D
  13. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not yet. I've only a 9 mile test ride since installation. I'll think about changes if I still feel it is soft when I get back from a campout this weekend.
  14. voyer

voyer Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I thought the same thing, but affter putting 200 plus miles off road Sunday it is awesome.
    marchyman and Rudderfeet like this.
  15. Rudderfeet

Rudderfeet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Y'all need Trials motorcycles to see what a light clutch really feels like ;-)
    JETalmage likes this.
  16. Rudderfeet

Rudderfeet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A++++ job!
  17. Motopumps

Motopumps Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    (I realize that was not addressed to me)

I am running it in the middle position, but have not tried it all the way out on the end yet. Will probably leave it in the middle. Seems like a good compromise. Was worried about the engagement area being too wide for my liking in the end position.

Before this I was considering a Magura HyMec conversion, but this feels great.

Rob
    SoilSampleDave and Rudderfeet like this.
  18. kubcat

Oddometer:
    I've had it for a week or so, but just installed it last night. I had gotten used to the very short friction zone, and the pull was never too much. Now that it's on the bike, I like the easy pull, but the longer friction zone, plus the free play, might be a bit too much with the shorty's I'm running. I think I'll try the middle hole for a compromise. I think I can get the cotter pin out without moving the lever itself, but I'm guessing that will be a bit of a PIA.
    Motopumps likes this.
  19. GodFatherOfChill

GodFatherOfChill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Installed the KTM branded Cycra CRM hand guards on my 790s. Loving the way they match the graphics on the 790! This is my first time not using Highway Dirt Bike hand guards. HDB hand guards are about as tough as they come. Hope these Cycra hold up ok over time. View attachment 1897504

Attached Files:

The Griz and Motopumps like this.
  20. brad21

brad21 We have a pool... and a pond.

Oddometer:
    First real dirt ride yesterday for about 15 minutes...:lol3

fullsizeoutput_1dd0.jpeg
    ibgary, fiascoj and TrailTrauma like this.