1. eNewsletter Sign Up

KTM 790 Adv accessories, Modifications and Upgrades

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They also released a 1" taller seat for the R which is a complete seat only. I am a big SC fan as I have them on 3 of my 6 KTMs but I a going with the KTM optional tall enduro seat. I think the shape is going to work better for me.
    Velociraptor and TrailTrauma like this.
  2. JeremyCondie

JeremyCondie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree with this comment. I just fitted Ian Chappel's skid plate too. Much better than OEM.

Nothing to catch under the plate. Second photo shows it does not rest on the engine. It does not bolt to the engine either.

2019-09-20 17.30.36.jpg 2019-09-20 17.31.21.jpg
    Apo, TrailTrauma, IanC and 1 other person like this.
  3. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Camel Adv 1 finger clutch review:
    I do NOT like the clutch on the 790 AdvR. It's not really that hard to pull, however, the engagement is very very narrow. Upon the advice of other inmates on this thread, I ordered the Camel 1 finger clutch last week. It arrived very quickly and was waiting for me when I got home from a 10 day loop ride. Install took about 10 minutes and is very easy with basic tools and knowledge. Camel does have a youtube for install, so, don't feel intimidated. After the install i went for a little ride. The engagement difference is nite and day! It's longer and much more controllable and the clutch action is perfect. If you look close, you'll see that I used the middle hole....(no comments you nasty inmates!).
    https://camel-adv.com/collections/ktm/products/ktm-790-one-finger-clutch

Attached Files:

4. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Link?
    Migolito likes this.
  5. brad21

brad21 We have a pool... and a pond.

Oddometer:
    Ah crap, didn't come across the ebay listing in my search. AOMC is in frickin' W. Virginia!
  6. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
  7. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Folks, has anybody discovered alternate high front guards to fit the 'R' OEM model? Have searched to no avail!

Have never been a fan of the shitty 'droopy' style mudguard... Something about the lines of it simply shits me to tears. Sure, it probably works... But I don't mind being covered in shite, I do hate looking at the fugly 'droop'.

I seek something sharper, like the supermotard guard on my 950... Please, help settle my OCD!!

front guards.jpg
    turbofan790 and Migolito like this.
  8. IanC

IanC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Dave,

Info: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8uoqc2l30ix6c50/790 Bashplate.pdf
    Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ianchappel/albums/72157710073073161

Feel free to PM me, or email as per the link in the PDF.

A side-note: Experience so far from US buyers (who haven't had the package intercepted by US customs) suggests it may actually work out cheaper to purchase from there, as I don't charge any VAT for non-EU exports (I'm in the UK), and the VAT (sales tax) of 20% is slightly more than the difference in shipping cost between UK and US!
    SoilSampleDave likes this.
  9. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Trace out what you want it to look like right on the fender and then use an extremely sharp knife and trim it! It’s what I used to do back before I could afford spare fenders and it looks better than you think it would.
    braaap! and TrailTrauma like this.
  10. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SoilSampleDave likes this.
  11. koekeroe

koekeroe Adventurer

Oddometer:

recluse , o jehh
    Migolito likes this.
  12. Fabricator

Fabricator Hello Moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Arrested!!

No, not the 'gray-bar hotel' type, but the >.023" mesh type... :D

After removing the DB killer from the Akra, it looked easy enough to come up with something for a spark arrestor, so;

White Bros. R4 muffler spark arrestor screen off of eBay (the seller's blurry pic):

Screen.jpg

A 1" wide strip of .035 stainless formed into a sleeve, a massage of the 'flange' of the screen to make it fit, add some silver solder, and you get this:

SA.JPG

Originally tried to TIG it together with silicon bronze, but the screen was WAAAY to delicate for that. Used a 1/4-28 NF stainless cap screw and mini-nut to secure it in place:

SA_Inst.JPG

It's just a bit quieter than it was without it installed. Done just in time for the start of the rainy season around here.... :D:D
    The Griz, Allucaneat, Dusty and 3 others like this.
  13. K.T.Emsdorf

K.T.Emsdorf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, I installed the SW-Motech centerstand last night (1 or 2 hours) and the spring(s) this morning. Fitment is the exact same as the original spacer which means I had to use a brass drift to remove the spacer and again to gently coax the centerstand and spacers to their exact line-up. I used the original ktm bolt with no problem. Looks like it came with the bike.
    I used a brake tool to slide the two springs into place, holding the springs with it while hooking onto the end of the post for the spring.
    Super easy to lift bike up using the foot lever for a 175 pounder like me. The directions are really helpful too.

Attached Files:

14. Migolito

Oddometer:
    Desert Fox fuel bladder:
    I few riders have posted questions re. how/what to carry extra fuel in. For your consideration here is the Desert Fox 6L fuel bladder. I bought this last year as part of a group buy-I use it on my 500exc. I will be using it on my 790 on longer, more remote trips. So, here is my review based soley on possesion and not use. It is purpose built for fuel. The carrier is very tuff, and the fill cap is solid. All seams/stiches are equally tuff and it obviously had multiple steel rings for attaching it, as well as 2 dedicated 1" webbing straps. if you look closely, it also has a spigot for filling. It's made in Germany/or otherwise sold in Aussie Land so, you know it's as tuff as it gets.
    https://desertfox.eu/collections

Attached Files:

Rudderfeet likes this.
  15. Migolito

Oddometer:
    Very nice. I ordered the stand for the standard and I own an R. So, a lucky inmate(and great person btw) got a deal. A couple of questions; Does the stand push down bar-the thing you step on to push down the stand- get in the way at all?
    I'll be ordering another very soon. BTW, MAJOR thumbs up to SW Motech North America who has followed up with me re all my purchases. Great CS!
  16. Radzz

Radzz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sent my SW motech stand return and they gave me a refund.. The design of it is crap. It flaps around on even the smallest bumps as the springs are too weak and the point where the stand rest up against the frame of the bike has no rubber protection so it bangs metal against metal..
    Hats off to SW motech for excellent service but the design of this product needs a re think.. I'll be ordering the Oem one when it is available
  17. mlyamkaw

mlyamkaw Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer:
    I had to zip ty mine to keep it from flapping. Buddy is using a large bungee to hold his in place. I’d try to send it back, but bought it through eBay out of France.
  18. K.T.Emsdorf

K.T.Emsdorf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    B33067DD-24ED-4037-A6D5-D425EC5B59CB.jpeg Migolito,
    The foot lever sticks out more than the passenger foot peg (see photo). It all seems to be a lot less worrisome that I thought. Be aware that it’s there when dirt riding as I did come in contact with it, without any pain however.
    Radzz,
    I think the Ktm stand will also be metal on metal so I don’t see the difference. It seems to be tightly held up by the dual springs. I had no banging at all on my test ride on dirt trails. Also, my local dealer (LA area) said Ktm’s Stand will be available 1/22/20.
    In conclusion, my only reservation is on the foot pedal that sticks out but I find it a minor annoyance and I feel that this stand is a big plus for my bike(Type S). I will be interested to see how the Ktm version stacks up when it’s available.
    Radzz likes this.
  19. Fatherof5

Fatherof5 n00b

Oddometer:

Sorry for the late response, just getting thru the entire post and wanted to share a Fule Cap Hack I came accross. The key is only needed to unlock after this mod... https://790adventure.net/farkles/fuel-cap-hack/
  20. Radzz

Radzz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah it ain´t well thought through. I guess it´s not a massive amount of monet but it was kinda the principal for me. They gave me a refund which was cool , but then they suggested I fitted it wrongy. I hadn´t ...it´s def design faults but , whatever... I got the refund