KTM 790 Adv accessories, Modifications and Upgrades

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Feb 5, 2019.

1. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not totally. However, all that extra heat isn’t helping things. I’m sure @Camel ADV will be along at any time to enlighten us, either here or over in the vendor’s section.
  2. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Exactly. Heat destroys the VI of the shock fluid. There’s no way I’m going to get my shock removed and off to the suspension shop for a fluid change often enough to keep it fresh with it baking over the cat. I think the heat shield is a great idea.
    Camel ADV likes this.
  3. Snowq

Snowq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bud! Ordered! :smile6
    kzeb likes this.
  4. kzeb

kzeb Been here quite some time

Oddometer:
    Or.. a rally style exhaust.. like alot of people dreamt about on their 950/990's and could have given up a arm and a leg for :tb... never heard anyone had those worries on the routing under the swingarm..
  5. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    The key fact there is disposing of the cat. Once you have done that, rally or regular, you’re good. But I’m waiting for a Rottweiler engine management solution before canning the cat.
  6. kzeb

kzeb Been here quite some time

Oddometer:
    Someone must have cut that cat open I really would want to see the magic inside it.
    Please show us c'mon Coober,Rottweiler, Rade Garage, wings, Arrow.. :amazon
    Coober will loose all there credibility for ever if decatted 790's don't end up with the engine failurs they described,
    I'll guess we will se the truth in a year or so when the decated bikes have som miles on them...
    I just don't buy it.
  7. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    I've heard the cat is an ultra-complex 4-chamber affair with, yes, much that is magical. I was thinking Rottweiler should team up with Doug Henning! ;) Chris Angel works, if it has to be an 'merikan partnership.

Note: No bunnies will be harmed in this endeavor. Cats, yes .. bunnies, no. So to recap - no cats, a few bunnies (purely for effect), and a half dozen (more) ponies.
    kzeb and CaseyB like this.
  8. factoryphil

factoryphil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    can someone that bought a sharon exhaust from rage garage please measure the pipe diameter size just before it goes into the silencer
  9. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's a cutout pic of a 790 cat from the Duke forum.
    [​IMG]
    kzeb likes this.
  10. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm happy to answer questions about the heat shield. I'm not a suspension tech but I believe there are some other issues with the shocks than just the stock set up pumping a huge amount of heat into them. If it were just the heat, the S models would be failing too but they don't seem to be or at least not in the same numbers. I think the R shocks are more susceptible to heat-related failures so keeping as much heat out of them as possible will go along way to keeping them from puking their guts out. R, S or other, it's beneficial to keep a shock cooler that hotter, that's why they have piggyback or remote reservoirs... more fluid = cooler oil = better suspension performance and longer service intervals.
  11. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    So is the shell surrounding the pipe filled with catalyst material?
  12. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    I’ll bet a spare one of those costs more than a few dollars!
  13. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don’t know the story behind the pic but I don’t believe any material has been removed from the housing. It seems the cat itself is the cylindrical pipe bulge. Part of the pipe has a defuser screen to let some of the exhaust into the overall housing. Maybe this is giving the back pressure that coober says is so needed on the 790 engine.
  14. spartanman

Oddometer:
    Interesting. If that’s the case, it doesn’t look to weigh very much and isn’t that restrictive. The perforated section probably acts as a baffle, which explains why it quiets the exhaust note. There may be a plated honeycomb ceramic insert in the large diameter section, I’m guessing. Neat design.
    SoilSampleDave likes this.
  15. 52edub

52edub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just picked up the seat today from Seat Concepts. There just down the road from me. Will ride tomorrow and provide my review. Just sitting on it in the garage I can tell it's a lot better than the stock seat. Necked down in the front allows me to reach the ground better. I can feel the better foam and don't feel like I'm leaning forward in the seat now.

Attached Files:

16. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    What makes you think it isnt restrictive? I believe they weigh 6lbs...
  17. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Rottweiler must have a few laying around now. They would fully cut into one, to remove this speculation. Hell, make a video on it, and tie that into the drive to want to decat. We all stand to learn a bit; at least I do.
  18. spartanman

Oddometer:
    One main shot through. No torturous bends. 6 lb is light for a cat, though a straight pipe with flanges is probably about a pound.
  19. Thumper Dumper

Thumper Dumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fitted my pannier racks and tool tube. E4DEFCE4-3BF6-4E98-A277-B2A3D9CF545A.jpeg D3FE7CD6-E7F1-43A8-9816-9259E2B4BA6E.jpeg 2A8D342A-D581-44E6-8165-43BB2112179D.jpeg
    scfrank, Cybsal, TrailTrauma and 2 others like this.
  20. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    Duke cat
    20190811_161313.jpg
    kzeb and Nowwhat like this.