KTM 790 Adv accessories, Modifications and Upgrades

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Feb 5, 2019.

1. al803

al803 Tenere700

Oddometer:
    If there is no aftermarket seat 1" lower I will have the job done by a professional but the professional does not have access to the seat so he can't tell if it can be done. I know that you can make the seat narrower and make it feel lower but in the end I will have to buy a seat and send it to the seat customiser to tell me if it can be done...and there will be seat left to ride on ...
  2. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m 5’8” and can get a solid 1 foot totally flat at stops. The s seats are wider, requiring more of a scooch over from my limited showroom experience, more or less negating any benefits from the lower height.
    There are quite a few cats here around our height making due with the stock r seat for now. And certainly a couple so far who’ve tried the enduro style powerparts seat that’s taller, but narrower, with reportedly the same net reach results.
    I do imagine that seatconcepts will release a few versions of R seat kits pretty soon though, to go along with their S model kits already out.
  3. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    On another note...when Ktm was showing their pre-production bikes like the one Birchy campaigned, they were slightly different than the production bikes. In particular, Ktm added two black steel support rods from the frame trellis section to the bottom of the headlight, obviously in an effort to mitigate the problem they have with 1090/1190/1290 headlight mount posts breaking. The 790 uses the same headlight mount posts welded onto the front of the steering tube as its bigger cousins but those steel rods are supposed to precent them from breaking. Despite this, we are now seeing a few reports of those same headlight mount posts breaking on frames - we are very close to showing a “HeadStraight” kit that some of you may be familiar with from the 1090/1190/1290. This HeadStraight kit will be 100% bolt on and 100% compatible with our current steering damper kits. Do let us know if any of you are experiencing this issue on your 790 as we gather more reports of this.
    Dusty and SoilSampleDave like this.
  4. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    I’ve had the 790 seat apart as we supply Salle Della Vale rally seat kits for these bikes. There is definitely an opportunity to reduce the height by at least one inch but don’t go further down as your weight will put your ass on the plastic seat pan and that won’t be comfortable. Yes, narrowing the seat in the spot where you are when standing over the bike also helps but remember to keep the area just behind it full width as that’s where you’ll spend your time when touring, etc and the width will be appreciated.
  5. al803

al803 Tenere700

Oddometer:
    In United States you have a few top notch seat customizing vendors...I am in Europe...but still I think a solution will be found. I don't have problem stopping with one foot on even terrain...anyway thank you...
    Subaruvich likes this.
  6. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Where in Europe are you? I’m in the UK...
  7. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    IMG_3081.JPG
    braaap! likes this.
  8. al803

al803 Tenere700

Oddometer:
    @alongat Thank you a lot your input is very valuable...will Salle dela valle offer a lower seat? I know they are located in Italy...
  9. al803

al803 Tenere700

Oddometer:
    at the other end of Europe. Greece...
  10. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    We are partnered with RebelX Sports for the seat kits. Yes, Salle Della Vale makes them for us using our design and their proprietary material. That top material is not alcantara or other ultrasuedes that take forever to dry. It’s actually something they’ve patented using neoprene (like a scuba suit) and a special machine to “agitate” the material into a suede like finish that takes two minutes to dry completely. The grip and comfort are incredible and they developed this material for Ktm and other factory rally racing teams for a few years before giving us access to it for our seats. It is a cover kit with a thin layer of highly compliant foam that is meant to use on your original foam. The cover material itself is longer on the sides for those who want to add material to raise their seats but the material and design of the seat is also meant to accommodate those who want to lower their original seats by cutting / shaping. It is far more flexible and “springy” than the original cover so if you cut your seat and even narrow it a bit, there will be no saggy or loose material once you stretch and staple it in place.
    Dusty and SoilSampleDave like this.
  11. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    I know a good seat guy in Greece who can help you and even make you a custom vinyl seat cover with nice details. He’s very reasonable. I know he doesn’t do the 790 seat but if he’s not far from you, I’m sure it would be good to take him your seat and see what he can do for you. Let me know if you want his contact info - he’s a good guy and has made some super enduro seat covers for me in the past. Nice, grippy vinyl material - not SDV level of comfort or luxury but very very durable
  12. al803

al803 Tenere700

Oddometer:
    So you propose after shaving foam from the original seat, remove the original cover and add the Salle Della vale one. I know they did a lower seat for the 1090R but it was only 1 cm not an inch. I will think about it. One option is to have a professional do it or could I send the seat to your shop and get it done?
  13. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    We don’t do the seat work itself. I propose doing the seat modification yourself and trying your original cover or even with one of our SDV seat kits. If you don’t want to do it yourself, I suggest contacting:

http://www.crossxracing.com/index.php/en/

As I said, he doesn’t have a 790 seat cover already designed but he can do it for you or modify your seat and reuse your original cover or my SDV rally seat cover kit. It’s up to you but I think your best bet is to work with someone in Greece.
  14. al803

al803 Tenere700

Oddometer:
    Thanks again I have sent you a pm but maybe it's useful for others to know options available on seat lowering.
  15. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Yup. I replied to your PM.

If someone wants to send me their seat over this winter sometime, I’d be happy to do a video of cutting it to lower and even inserting a 10mm thick gel insert into the original foam for those who want to DIY their own seats. I can even do a video for DIY if raising and shaping the seat height. I know it feels intimidating to many people but the trick is using a manual heavy duty staple gun and taking your time.

It would be great for people to be able to do more themselves.
    Salzig and braaap! like this.
  16. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    @alongat What is a 'HeadStraight kit'?

I'm interested in solution that turns with the handlebars and is as close to the hb as possible.. Only need room for lcd and tablet, one of them can sit on middle of hb. It seems like there isn't so much stuff inside this huge mask and plenty of height-wise room to properly mount everything. A lot easier than 990 where I moved gauges between tanks.. I tested exc and 690 masks for the look but they both leave a lot of room between front fender and mask - should be taller.

Does anyone know if that Rebel X Hella headlight kit is their own setup? All I found from Hella was independent light units.. I like tweaking stuff myself but headlight mask is beyond my tools/skills. I would be happy to pay for one.

And because we all like pictures (sorry for tight cut - way too much junk around the garage):
    Screenshot_3.jpg
  17. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Our HeadStraight kit is the name of the headlight mount reinforcement solution that we produce for the 1090/1190/1290 series of bikes to combat the breaking headlight mount posts. We will have the same for the 790 soon but it doesn’t change anything in terms of ergonomics and space - it’s only designed to effectively combat the mount post breakage.

As for the rebelxsports kit, we codeveloped that with them as we use 85% of the same components on the super enduro version of the rally kit. We shared design and parts sourcing to help with economies of scale. This is also true of the 690/701 version of the kit. The kitnuses factory Ktm 450 rally bike components and lights (made for Ktm by Hella) plus our tower and steering mount brackets, the rebelX rally roadbook mounts and holder, the side panels to visually “finish” the kit to the 790 tank fairings.
    SoilSampleDave and ramirin like this.
  18. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know what are the sensors and other electric units behind front mask? Didn't spot them on partsfinder..
  19. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I'm 5'8 inseam 30 and origomily wanted a lower seat.
    But this is why I changed my mind (I still will get a after market one but for comfort not lower).
    The Argo on the 790 has my knees preaty bent and backwards (reminds me alot of a super sport) which actually hurt my knees. I got rade garage lower wider pegs, getting a lower seat will put me in the same situation again, no thx!!
    I can get one foot down at a time and in most cases that's enough at the few that it isn't the bikeofht take a nap but our bikes all do once in a while so..
    TrailTrauma and Rudderfeet like this.
  20. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    I think everyone needs to understand that lowering a bike’s height to suit your comfort vs lowering components on a bike are not the same thing. Everyone wants nearly limitless suspension travel, sure footing when standing or dropping a leg for support and the correct distance between pegs and the seat for a comfortable knee angle when riding seated.

Personally speaking (and I guess it’s easy for me to say given I’m 6’3”), I’d rather sacrifice a bit of suspension travel and keep the bike’s actual ergonomics the same if that’s what you’re comfortable with.

Be honest with yourself (the general “yourself, not anyone specific) and ask yourself if you can live with a tiny bit less suspension travel...I’ll bet you’ll be happier in the end.
    Rudderfeet likes this.