KTM 790 ADV cam footage & video tech talk

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by TrailTrauma, Nov 14, 2019.

1. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    I thought it might be nice to have a repository of all our collective 790 cam videos, as our community grows. I'm also hoping there will be a little tech talk as well on items such as cam selection, how to get clear audio (this still alludes me), video editing software and so on. I figure we won't always be posting up footage, and there are long winters to consider so the tech talk might be a welcome distraction.

It doesn't even have to be 'your' footage. If you see a 790 online in some cool video blasting a trail, post it up. If you come across an exciting promo video or rider review, share it with us. By keeping the criteria broad we have a better chance of acquiring some great material for present and future enjoyment.

I'll start off with some footage of a rider I've always admired, both from a skills standpoint but also his ability to tie it all together in some beautiful films - Adam Riemann:

DRglidarn, No-Fret, braaap! and 3 others like this.
  2. Toddv

Toddv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like it!! I'm a youtube junkie, and yes Adam puts out some great polished stuff.

Just wanted to throw in, I recently strayed away from the typical Go Pro and went with the Sony FDR X3000 because the Go Pro's image stabilization is just annoying to me. I can't be the only one? The Sony uses an optical and a digital stabilization, I just use the optical and it's great and doesn't give you the weird shifting focal point like the digital does, plus when the going gets rough, you can tell but without it being distracting, a more natural feel. Anyhow, I'm very happy with this little cam, and it's water resistant without the case.
    TheGr8Pumpkin likes this.
  3. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    I've had few cameras during years, always a problem to keep everything charged and somehow worrying about camera takes a bit away from enjoying the ride.. I did grab some footage last summer on 500 but the main problem with filming is to get free professional editor / publisher person to make use for the footage.. My next camera will be a completely automated drone with AI to edit and publish the footage. :bubba
  4. Toddv

Toddv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed, Either you leave it running and have to watch batteries and have tons of footage to sort through or you have to keep turning around when you pass something you want footage of so you can do it again with the camera on. It is nice to have video to look back on though, I have tons but have edited very little of it.
    ramirin likes this.
  5. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a dual camera system wired to the bike. Not great cameras, not 4k. But they record as soon as I turn the ignition on, and keep recording until it stops. 3 minutes clips, and looping, erasing old stuff. It's connected to a GPS antenna that is tagging the video with location, and there is a button on the handlebar to save the current clips, or to take a (dual) picture.

Its main use is as a security camera. For the he said, I said kind of situation. With this I can prove I'm driving on legal trails, and I can have videos of other doing something stupid.

Here is a sample of quality in tough light conditions

From the back:
    From the front:

A better sample (Driving in Paris on a sunny morning):

From the front:

System on the bench and installed on the bike:
    IMG_6092.jpg IMG_6082.jpg

For the curious it's a "Blueskysea DV688" bought on aliexpress
  6. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, and the cameras are mounted on the turn signal stalks. My plan was to 3dprint a better mount, but this works just fine, so…

IMG_6093.jpg
    chippertheripper likes this.
  7. Orfeas

Orfeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome idea, i am in!

I am running a video production company so i am finding myself editing a lot. I have also a TON of footage from adventure riding over the past years that i never touched :imaposer
    So i feel you 100%. Now back to the point:

One of the BEST 790 videos out there, from Chris. A little old but gold - showcases the 790 capabilities on an experienced driver.

8. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great idea @TrailTrauma !

Only just found this one... From Mr 'What's the situation'.... :)
    Bluetonguejak likes this.
  9. braaap!

Oddometer:
    And this one from Mr @tshansen simply for the gorgeous scenery and clear video :)
  10. braaap!

Oddometer:
    Love your work bloke!!
    tshansen likes this.
  11. tshansen

tshansen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you mate. This year has been alot of learning and trying! Hope to make even more travel and adventure videos next season (mars/april)

i have a lot of footage myself, the hardest part is to get good at editing and tell a story that is interessting and use a good combination of different footage and angles.

ScooterNoMore likes this.
  12. braaap!

Oddometer:
    You’re doing pretty well in my book!

Making me ache for distant shores and jaw drop, stunning landscapes... Perhaps a salted Herring too :)

Keep the vids coming. Please!
  13. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually

Oddometer:
    Crap audio is why I’ve always put songs to my home videos.

recently picked up a dji Osmo action. Very happy with the audio. Another benefit is I can still use all my GoPro attachments as it’s very similar design and has the same mounting style.

Hopefully I can share something in a few weeks.
    tshansen likes this.
  14. tshansen

tshansen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Windslayer for the gopro cameras are really good! Made a huge difference
  15. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Awesome training stuff from Birchy - I hope he continues with this stuff..

16. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    If they would just make a connection to a Sena.
  17. Orfeas

Orfeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just found this on YT, nice driving whoever you are!

18. Orfeas

Orfeas Adventurer

Oddometer:

@1:57 - Nasty!

A6D1D882-1907-4144-BC59-829709F33D6D.jpeg
    DRglidarn likes this.
  19. Salzig

Salzig Long timer

Oddometer:
    BT,DT :D

IMG-20181014-WA0021.jpg

Kidding aside, looks like 9x0s have a bit more clearance when bottomed out, altough I probably had some little travel left.
    Too bad I can't see videos, at work now.
    braaap! and Orfeas like this.
  20. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

EvilSteve, ramirin, braaap! and 2 others like this.