KTM 790 ADV Mad Skillz Riders & Wannabes

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by TrailTrauma, Oct 26, 2019.

1. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Do you mean 'swung the lever perches up'? to compensate?

That brings up a good point. When I moved my bars forward I think I mucked up, and rotated them UP to -1. Can anyone remember the OEM position?

Heres a good experiment I just tried again - stand on your bike and pretend you're bracing from your normal standing position, and then try grabbing your levers as though they were the bars (maybe bracing your knuckles against your handguards for support), and try bracing again. What feels 'stronger'?

To me the lever position feels stronger. And the levers are feather forwards which also supports a bar bend with less sweep being a potential improvement.
  2. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, you're right, I did mean up - thanks. As for the factory setting, I'm not sure. When I rotated mine, I realized they were also off-center. Probably from one of my few spills since June.
    ibgary, braaap! and TrailTrauma like this.
  3. Mexicali

Mexicali Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thinking about getting a 2020 790 Adventure R, and I was wondering if any of you have had an experience in deep sand. I often ride Baja, and deep sand is kryptonite on my r1200gs. thinking about switching over to BIG ORANGE.
  4. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Mexicali

Scott Myers and @gearheadE30 are on here abouts... Their experience in Merzouga under competition conditions would be a lead, but how comfortable / competent are you in deep sand?
    IMHO the 790 is quite happy in deep sand (I have the smiles plus the bruises)... Just takes rider commitment.

790R will be / is vastly superior to a R1200GS in sand, 21" wheel for a start, less weight and better power to weight ratio.

You know you want to :)
    rsmith56, TrailTrauma and Mexicali like this.
  5. Mexicali

Oddometer:
    I Once owned a 400 KTM two stroke in the mid 1970s, and I recall literally flying accross the sand dunes near Coos Bay, Oregon. Sand wasn't even an issue. In fact it was a blast!

So I like riding in sand, but I need the right tool for the job. Sand is doable on the big GS, but it is generally a struggle.
  6. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know that feeling... Have a 640Adv that floats over sand.
    The 790 feels as good.
    I like smiles much more than struggles :)
    ramirin, kubcat and Mexicali like this.
  7. kubcat

Oddometer:
  8. kubcat

Oddometer:
  9. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    The BMWs aren't great in the sand in my experience. Even the F800GS is horribly unstable. I think the forks have less rake to make them handle a bit more like a street bike even with the 21" front, and it just makes them wander and wallow when the ground gets soft. The R1200 is marginally better...but the telelever front end really hurts steering feel and makes it hard to be really confident in what the bike is doing.

The 790 is much better in the sand than the BMWs. Of course we were in sand almost constantly in Morocco, and the bike did very well as long as you were on the throttle. Like any big bike, the front sinks pretty quickly as soon as you let off. You really have to turn the traction control all the way off. I had mine in 1 for a bit and in situations where I really needed a lot of wheel speed to get un-stuck or through a surprise soft patch, it would cut back on power and I'd end up stuck. No problems at all once I turned it off, with plenty of power. The bike was happiest if you could get it up into 3rd gear and in the 6000-8000 rpm range in the dunes, and then it could do anything you wanted - so @braaap! is right, commitment helps. :lol3 I didn't always have the balls to ride it like that, and it cost me a few times.

We had Scotts dampers on the bikes, along with the narrower wheel set. I have ridden in the sand with the stock damper (which seems to do very little) and the wide wheels with 50/50 tires on it, and that bike was much less stable if you let your speed drop too much. Not nearly as bad as the BMWs, but not rock-solid and predictable like my 950 which doesn't have a damper on it at all. that's just the tradeoff between having geometry that handles much better on pavement and hardpack (790) vs stability in sand and mud (950).

Me:
    [​IMG]

Not me, but I looked like this more than a few times. :lol3

[​IMG]

We came over the dune on the left. You are screaming the thing up a featureless face of dunes this size and much bigger for so long that you actually get spatial disorientation and lose sense of speed and where horizontal is. The 790s did great.

[​IMG]
  10. a.c.e.

a.c.e. U Mud, Bro?

Oddometer:
    Dang, you wearing my cloth' (fav of 2019), even my boots and goggles.
    Gimme more cool pictures shredding the dunes, may pretend it's me in other forums, ha :D
    gearheadE30 and TrailTrauma like this.
  11. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    Here's a video of a trail I pieced together by following a cow trail down to a dry creek wash. The area hasn't seen any moisture for months, so the soil is very loose and crumbly, and I feel like it highlights what the 790 can do as a vehicle for exploration. Not a high speed run, as you really don't want to tuck the front end at speed on a steep ridge line. Enjoy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    voyer, bongoman, ramirin and 3 others like this.
  12. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^. Impressive indeed. Mad skills knowing where to go. Thanks for sharing.
  13. Orfeas

Orfeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, not sure if this has been posted before. But its gold. And it hurts me every time i see/hear it...

Oceandiving954 likes this.
  14. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    I got lost on one of Pilo’s road books and ended up on that ridge. I was having so much fun on it that I ditched the road book and just rode the ridge. Nice job on the 790.
  15. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    How would you guys think he could get up without help? Seat bounce doesn't seem to be enough but I think if he had enough balance to go back as far as possible get on the pegs stand still and really compress the susp and launch he would got up flying. (please note that this doesn't mean I'm capable of such but most of the time I know what to do, just don't know how to do it)
  16. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Just remember to turn TC off .. one of my first rides on 790 I didn't
    Screenshot_19.jpg
    gearheadE30 and Mexicali like this.
  17. Mexicali

Oddometer:
    I have never ridden a bike with traction control, so I might be inclined to turn it off and leave it off, period. :)
  18. Orfeas

Orfeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was a tricky situation, since he already managed to dig his rear tyre trying to impress his friends (first couple of seconds) :p
    If he had one chance, thats what you said - he should try to bring the bike back and start over gaining momentum. I would personally leave my ego behind and ask for some help instead of banging that engine on the ground.
    scfrank and ibgary like this.
  19. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Enjoy that until you cycle the key off and back on .. then you have to shut off the TC all over again. :fpalm
    Mexicali and Orfeas like this.
  20. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    Rode a heap of soft deep sand today - MUST be in Rally mode and i found setting 3 perfect for all situations.
    (Tried off-road mode on a couple of smaller Sandy hills and it near didn't make it over them do to TC intervention)

Another 3 days and 1000km off-road to go this weekend to get a proper feel for the 790.

Definately needs to be resprung for my 100kg - bottomed-out back/front a few times today.

ThInking I'm gunna need to raise the suspension too, just need a viable alternative to the KTM offering.
    braaap! and TrailTrauma like this.