KTM 790 ADV Mad Skillz Riders & Wannabes

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by TrailTrauma, Oct 26, 2019.

1. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    That mud looks like it has pretty solid hard pack under it. Drop the front wheel back into the water and roll back as much as you can. Launch it at the face (you HAVE to be ballsy for it to work, otherwise you get stuck again). Stand up and lean back as soon as the bike is rolling, let off the throttle (but don't pull the clutch in) as soon as the back tire hits the face, and it should grab and roll up using inertia. Pull yourself forward over the front as soon as the front starts to come up. If you stay in the throttle it will just spin the tire, and if you pull the clutch in you won't turn any of that rotating inertia into forward motion. In trials, it's called the "roll up" technique, and it is really, really handy on adv bikes where traction can be a challenge. It's amazing how much traction you can get when you do this right.

If it was a real soft mud pit instead of hard ground underneath, you basically have to get the bike back up onto the other bank, turn it around, and 'send it' through the mud with a bunch of throttle to keep the rear wheel cleared out. Standing and leaning back, of course. You almost always need more speed than you think, because the mud will grab the bike and slow it down. If it was a real mud pit, you would want to hit that steep bank fast enough to launch the bike, hard on the throttle, pulling yourself forward as the back tire hits and the front is pointed at the sky. As soon as the rear rebounds and the bike is in the air, grab both brakes and the clutch and it will pull the front down enough that you don't flip over backwards. It will feel like it's going to go over, but these bikes are so long that it's actually pretty hard to totally loop them backwards without a bunch of whiskey throttle.

It's better to have too much speed and crash after you get through the mud and over the bump than it is to not have enough speed and bury the bike in the middle.

EDIT: you've given me some ideas for youtube videos I could put together... :beer
  2. Fabricator

Fabricator Hello Moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't blame the TC... I think it was the Karooooooos.... :D:D:D
  3. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    He will show up complaining about a denied warranty claim soon.
  4. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, after a couple of tries time to rethink the strategy:) If he had stock tires that sucks too. I still have the Karoos on and they are so slippery. I am just being hard headed this time and trying to wear the Karoos out first before switching.
  5. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Maybe. When I mentioned all the crap I'd broken on my 790 so far, to my dealer, he just let out the biggest "THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO!!" and laughed. Good guy to have in my court should something go where warranty coverage is in question. All he ever asks of a client is that they tell him a great story, not some poppycock about riding like an angel when suddenly...
    scfrank and Velociraptor like this.
  6. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stock bash plate.
    scfrank likes this.
  7. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    the way I read this post, dude is still stuck in that hole days later. :imaposer
    ibgary likes this.
  8. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    What I love about @gearheadE30 's post is it draws me into the mindset of a guy who 'can' get out of that situation. It must take many, many yrs before a regular mortal achieves that level of confidence, and has the tools both physical and mental, before something like this mud, or a large 'elevated' downed tree becomes attainable.

Bottom line - we all need trials bikes, and several yrs of practice (read crashes) under our belts before we get there... :pope

@gearheadE30 , for sure create your videos man. That would be huge for us all.
    ramirin and scfrank like this.
  9. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If it were me:

Plan A: Take the line next to the fence in the background.
    Plan B: Back up as far as possible and take a better run at it.
    Plan C: Bribe my fellow rider into getting muddy. :)
    ibgary and Orfeas like this.
  10. new2adv

new2adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's exactly what I was thinking! Sometimes I think KTM are too arbitrary the way they deny warranty coverage, but then you see something like this and it's a good reminder that they have to deal with all kinds of different situations...
    ibgary and scfrank like this.
  11. scfrank

Oddometer:
    I pick C. What are friends for?
    ibgary likes this.
  12. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    You should never plan for choice 'C'. It's a nice luxury, but the plan should always be improving the skills that will get you out of pickles solo. Call it the Solo Pickle Solution .. SPS for short. Soooo close to an SOS, but not quite :D
  13. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Thanks for great reply!

I like it when riders think before act.

I know we are too old and lazy to learn proper riding but I've noticed that when I have correct mind set for rocks, logs & other shit I should avoid with big bike - it works out a lot better when I'm not afraid of them in forehand. So it does actually help to watch Jarvis videos all night when too lazy to go out and practise.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  14. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Friends are for taking photos when you go sideways and to laugh when you push your bike alone in the swamp.
    Salzig, Orfeas, scfrank and 1 other person like this.
  15. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Solo is the only way I travel. I'm used to getting myself out of my own messes, which is why I would have been very unlikely to chose the line the rider did to begin with.

But if a fellow rider is along for the ride and there is no better line... After they get a good justified laugh and take photo evidence they better jump in because if they don't I WILL remember it when they get jammed up further down the trail...

:boid

:lol3
  16. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Nope Karoos or any tires climb just fine if you get the speed right, I did calculation for the speed that should be enough but engine didn't respond as expected because of TC. I don't see any use for TC in sand.

After dig the bike out, tried again w/o TC - all good, flying on top and just let it roll on uphill.

I was actually pretty impressed with those Karoos in soft mud - expectation was no grip at all but properly weighted they go just fine.
    DRglidarn, ibgary and Fabricator like this.
  17. scfrank

Oddometer:
    Mine usually come help ....... after they quit laughing.
    windblown101, Salzig and ramirin like this.
  18. Salzig

Salzig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doesn't work.
    Did it last winter and I still suck :lol3
  19. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Hmm .. you're basically taking the bottom out of my training methods .. something must be wrong .. let's try one more winter with at least 24% of videos in slow motion :lol3

btw, I suck too but I'm way more confident on it :thumb
    Salzig and ibgary like this.
  20. funkymunky

funkymunky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I struggled this weekend, i forgot to turn off traction control and had the bike in rally mode on number one. Was very tiring, next time I shall turn TC off completely from the beginning. Rode freshly washed sandy river beds and tracks, in the past on the 690, it was easy and flowed. with the 790 I struggled. Dropped the bike plenty times in the sand.
    ramirin and TrailTrauma like this.