KTM 790 ADV Mad Skillz Riders & Wannabes

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by TrailTrauma, Oct 26, 2019.

1. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    They’re not for your stock shock. Don’t worry about it.
  2. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    You're all slackers .. :ken

8lives, DRglidarn, kubcat and 5 others like this.
  3. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah! Listen to the rpm, you need to have courage to lift it immediately fully up without hesitation then just balance on idle.

Intimidating as hell even with exc but very rewarding to slowly make some progress on using suspension more and engine less.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  4. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    canada looks warm this time of year.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  5. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I know right?

No, definitely not me, or Canada. The air is too dense here for pivots .. the bike would go lean and melt down. It's a fact. ;)

But damn .. thats some talented balls out, inspirationsal shit right there! *applause*
    ramirin likes this.
  6. Roadhawg011

Roadhawg011 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    South Africans representing here :D
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  7. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    This looks like a hoot! (FF 1:00)

pa44pa28, braaap! and krussell like this.
  8. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    This instructor talks about falling while riding, but what catches my eye is the sickening reality of the trauma someone with hard panniers is going to endure in a fall. Thankfully he has Mosko soft luggage. I always wondered when guys have mentioned this potential in the past, but seeing that ankle of his slide under the pannier is eye opening and nauseating. I think everyone considering buying hard luggage, or those that already do should watch this video.

CVAN, ramirin, Fabricator and 2 others like this.
  9. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agree, with hard cases on... that little off might well result in a painful stint in the orthopedic ward. Ankle, knee perhaps OOF!
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  10. MeVoGTC

MeVoGTC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I watched that vid before I decided to pull the trigger on the adv. It made me think. I decided to go with both hard and soft. I don’t intend to only use the bike as an off-road touring bike, and on long road trips, opening up a lockable pannier and just grabbing my bag out it, leaving what I don’t need in the hotel room locked up on the bike just is a nice convenience.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  11. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Damn, THIS is how I'd like to ride when I grow up!

ramirin likes this.
  12. a.c.e.

a.c.e. U Mud, Bro?

Oddometer:
  13. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    I'd say this guy has been such an inspiration for learning the technics rather than roosting full speed that I'm happy to pay 33€ for his tips. I've paid more for a glass of bacardi cola..
    undingen, a.c.e. and TrailTrauma like this.
  14. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve.

Oddometer:
    Toddv and TrailTrauma like this.
  15. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ditto, great videos!!
    EvilSteve likes this.
  16. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Yeah, when I got Chris's email I knew I had to order. Had to cancel last years excursion to one of his training camps, and this year with Covid-19 the vids will keep me occupied and perhaps hone some skills so I can attend sometime in the future. Vid one down the hatch, bike is set up well. :)
  17. offworlder

offworlder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    (as per the email) Chris is also doing one on one training. Ideally you want him to be able to see what you're doing, and provide feedback in real time, but I suppose you could just record it/share it and take his coaching into consideration at next practice. Nothing like having the master on your phone, and being able to play back his advice over and over till it sinks in....

Here's an excerpt from one of his many excellent coaching sessions, where we asked him to climb (what we considered) an unclimbable hill on a big bike; he made short work of it while blowing our minds. This is not only a steep loose hill, but the entry is tricky as its whooped AND you have to veer around a power pole, taking away alot of your approach momentum. Listen to him hitting the rev limiter as he blasts up it with ease.
    Jeremy K, EvilSteve, CaseyB and 5 others like this.
  18. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    I was riding with slick karoo on rear so I couldn't really go offroad and had time to concentrate on Birchies instructions on loose gravel sliding everywhere.

Few things to point out:
    - Really need to concentrate on riding position to keep boots vertical and avoid meerkat but what Birchy says is completely true and proper 'attack mode' keeps position weightless also on acceleration which has been my problem.
    - Active riding when seated. I've learned to always stand up when actively riding and only get seated when being a passenger. Elbows wide, toes in with slight push against pegs and back straight makes seated riding a lot more prepared for any bumps and corners.
    - He mentioned about feet position so that boot don't accidentally hit gear lever. Especially with quick shifter enabled this is crucial (I did cut the power couple times accidentally hitting lever when pushed peg for drift).

I've been getting more and more into technical riding and what it really changes is the way I think when riding. I happily put myself in lines that I used to avoid and if I find something challenging I will try it multiple times. It also changes the way how I think about failing, tech stuff means fail & repeat a lot that has made me feel more comfortable failing and thinking what went wrong rather than just hurrying up to survive somehow.
    EvilSteve, TrailTrauma and Toddv like this.
  19. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the main thing that's helped me is gaining confidence and commiting to things rather than worrying too much about how it's going to go and not having the momentum or power applied when needed. It's not always going to work out the way I want but that's ok, if you learn something, it wasn't a failure.

It's great to have that Chris Birch stuff inplanted so you can pay more attention to doing things the right way, or at least the Chris Birch way which seems to work pretty good!
    ramirin and TrailTrauma like this.
  20. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I still try to limit falls on the big bikes. I prefer to splat the little bike doing something new and once I'm pretty comfy with it try it on the big bike.

KTMs drop well, even the big ones, but the big ones do hit the ground with a lot more authority and take more convincing to get back on their feet.
    ramirin and TrailTrauma like this.