KTM 790 ADV Mad Skillz Riders & Wannabes

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by TrailTrauma, Oct 26, 2019.

1. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Yep. I'm pretty cautious also on little bikes since hurting myself is not my objective. I won't try if I'm not confident I have a change on my skill level. But learning balance and clutch control --> being more confident makes dangerous things a lot safer and fun to ride than going there on speed being scared and seated just trying to push through. If you fail on your mind before trying, most likely that's what is going to happen.

That said, I don't drop bike that often and mostly it's stand still 'heavy lean' instead of drop - which means I'm not pushing hard enough but as I don't need to learn anything or be anything I enjoy things in babysteps and be happy if I learn something every month or so..
    kzeb, windblown101 and TrailTrauma like this.
  2. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same. At 59 I'm MUCH more likely to dump the bike due to being to cautious with near zero speed involved. Only time I tend to dump a bike moving over 5-10mph is if I've chugged to many Geritol/Redbull shooters and I'm feeling froggy.

There are a few techniques and obstacles that require full commitment to not fail but most can be approached with baby steps, which is my favorite process. On the track the moto was "Slow is smooth and smooth is fast." :)
    kzeb, Fabricator, ramirin and 3 others like this.
  3. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    You're a goddam inspiration old man...

:hide:hide:hide:D:hide:hide:hide
    Toddv likes this.
  4. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Nah... There are some crazy 70 year olds out there that still make it look easy. I'm just trying to catch up!
    ramirin and TrailTrauma like this.
  5. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Great Birch interview on this podcast on Adventure rider radio, and he talks about something I can totally relate to as a reconstructed/semi-bionic old man. He calls it the "post 45 75", as in, his students over age 45 tend to only commit to a move 75 percent, which doesn't usually work out so well.
    https://adventureriderradio.com/adventure-rider-radio-episodes/2020/4/30/chris-birch
    TrailTrauma and windblown101 like this.
  6. windblown101

Oddometer:
    I can relate. For most people it gets harder to screw on ones game face and fully commit to something that looks sketchy as hell as we rack up the years. I like to think I've learned to either go for it or just say "Nah, I'm good" if I can't get my mind right. But I still half ass stuff, and yup, it usually ends badly, LOL.
    ramirin and JP4 like this.
  7. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:

propably already posted elsewhere but belongs to anything labeled mad_skillz

Now off to trade my 790 to T7 and RDX goggles - that's what makes the difference, right?
    CheapB, kzeb, Jeremy K and 5 others like this.
  8. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Indeed. I'm certain that would do it. Take video!

What pisses me off is even my most radical motorcycle dreams doing stuff I'll never do dont compare to this dudes waking moments. :(

I gotta pick me up a T7 and some super strength Geritol. Hold my beer....
  9. offworlder

offworlder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Super-psyched to see Pol riding big bikes! Thanks for sharing @ramirin :-)
    ramirin likes this.
  10. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve.

Oddometer:
    I wonder how many tyres they went through shooting that...
  11. windblown101

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking there may be truth to the Men in Black story line. There really are aliens living among us. Lol.
    ramirin likes this.
  12. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wonder how many bikes they went through shooting that? Some of those lines looked well rehearsed....

Great riding and a great edit, but doesn’t really make me desire a T7 because the riding is so far and above me that I have a hard time identifying with it. If anything, it makes me wonder what he’d be capable of on a better bike?
  13. offworlder

Oddometer:
    Re the T7 video, as can be seen from the suspension, thats no ordinary T7:
    https://www.wp-ericauge.com/

And even with the suspension replaced, you can hear it clack/bottom throughout the video. So to @Some_Dude's point, I'd be willing to wager they broke stuff, which is not really a surprise as Pol is a madman...
    EvilSteve and TrailTrauma like this.
  14. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve.

Oddometer:
    Sure but, it's a cool video none the less, getting Pol Tarrés to ride in it was great. Regardless of what they did to the bike to get it to work, it's still awesome. I often wonder about tyres because of how much getting non-road-legal tyres can give you grip and confidence but they don't exactly last that long and aren't, therefore, that practical. Getting your suspension replaced is something that's pretty common for any of us - it's definitely improved my 790.

https://www.advpulse.com/adv-news/t...-defies-gravity-riding-the-yamaha-tenere-700/
  15. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    He rarely touches ground when training on trials or enduro bike .. I would expect him to be one of the next super stars in hard enduro..
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  16. offworlder

Oddometer:
    What excites me the most about this video is that Pol has shattered the ceiling, redefined whats possible on an adventure bike, and inspired countless riders to push themselves to a new level of possible. In the spirit of friendly competition, hopefully we'll see some of our other legends push themselves as a result.
    (:clap watches video again :clap)
    ramirin likes this.
  17. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    I also like that we are slowly getting a genre of heavy-hard-enduro. This growing will eventually awake Ktm to fix the headmask pin on their adventure models and get exhaust back up from current Rally style..
    redneckK20 likes this.
  18. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One of the guys I ride with is like that. Kept making me want a 690, then I figured out it was the rider and not the bike...
    ramirin and kzeb like this.
  19. redneckK20

redneckK20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I learned from my first real off road riding yesterday that the 790r is a TON more forgiving than the 1190r. I had the bike at a 45 degree angle going up a rutted hill, front tire in one rut and rear in another and somehow managed to foot dab and throttle my way out of it.
    kubcat likes this.