KTM 790 ADV R Specs FINALLY

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by satmanski, Nov 6, 2018.

1. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    All these newly posted reviews from the product launch in Morocco have gotten me very excited. I called the dealer holding my deposit this week to see if there was any more news on the delivery of the bikes. He said KTM doesn't really give them any further updates once the orders are in. The next data they would typically get is a floor plan update showing the vehicles on the way, but that won't occur until they are on the truck from the port in Jersey. He thinks 6-8 weeks out still, which puts it at end of April to mid-May. That was the original estimate, so at least its not slipping out. Planning to finish up the MABDR we started last fall over Memorial Day weekend. Hope to have it for that.
  2. Barekat

Barekat Looking to get dirty

Oddometer:
    I ordered my 2015 SAT in November 2014 and it was finally delivered May 26th, 2015 if I recall correctly. SAT's started showing up sporadically around mid-may so that might be the same for the 790's given the NA distribution system.
    SoilSampleDave likes this.
  3. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    When they get around to doing the inevitable comparison test of the mid-range displacement adv bike- I would dearly love to see a 950SE/HP2 or even a 950 Adventure included as a reference point.

I wonder if it would be a "look at how far we've come" or a "gee, those were helluva bikes that still kick the other asses when it gets gnarly".
  4. Barekat

Oddometer:
    I believe Chris Birch said in a recent video interview that the best comparison of the 790r is with the old 950SE .
    outbacktm likes this.
  5. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, it was in the video posted yesterday a few posts up from here https://advrider.com/f/threads/ktm-790-adv-r-specs-finally.1349090/page-15#post-37179086
    At the 8:00 minute mark...

“I find the best way to describe it is imagine it’s like a modern superenduro. Remember the old 950SE? It’s like that. but with a lower seat height, all the electronics, and good fuel range. That’s the best way…I think that’s the easiest bike to describe it to.” - Chris Burch talking about the 790 Adventure R
    Tomdog and Barekat like this.
  6. Barekat

Oddometer:
    Good company!

Attached Files:

7. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    comparing it to the 950se is insanely high praise... maybe I am interested in this thing after all'

now where did I hide that $14k?! :2cry
  8. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    The svelte KTM 790 adventure standard (non-R) looks very tasty. I've ridden the new BMW F850GS (non-Adventure) with 95hp, 33.85" seat ht, reported 503.8 lbs wet weight and an arguably higher COG due to where it carries its fuel. Without having swung a leg over the little KTM, it may be my next bike?

As for being a Beta Tester, the motor, or one very similar, has been in the 790 Duke for sometime now.

EDIT: The only other contenders in the class might be the T7 when and if it ever comes out and maybe the AT, but I'd don't like AT.
  9. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agree, the non-R 790 Adventure looks a much classier bike and yet it's still off road capable for 99% of riders.
    x32792 likes this.
  10. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    yea I tend to agree, the loss of around 1 inch of ground clearance and 1.5 travel to gain 2" lower seat height is really a quite good trade off. My only real question is the standard is using WP Apex forks which seem to be part of WP's "Street" lineup whereas Xplor are part of the "Off road" lineup. I'm not sure how that works out in the nuts and bolts type details but definitely curious. Then again WP is a offroad based company by default so I'd assume even their street forks respond well off road but again I've never personally experienced their street stuff.

Having a 28" inseam and knowing the struggle for many riders in the same-ish situation starting out, simply having an option to go to ~32 inches seat height is very welcome considering the xt225 which is one of the lowest bikes I've owned is ~31. Add that to the claimed low center of gravity and the 790 standard makes it really novice or even beginner friendly for a big bike in theory. Weight should feel super manageable if its slung low and you can waddle in trouble
  11. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    btw under the 990/950 segment there is a 374 page thread with pic vids and more
  12. Andy_L

Andy_L Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Probably time for a "Parallel universe" subforum under the Orange Crush section...
  13. nordicbiker

nordicbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess it won't take long until some companies are offering a suspension upgrade for the S. However if you consider the price of that front/back upgrade to a full adjustable suspension you might as well buy the R, if not the seat height is an issue. I have decided for the R because I'd like to have the better suspension and with the devided S-seat will not have a big issue with the seat height, even that I only have a 30" inseam. Delivery hopefully next week friday, have never been so excited for a new motorcycle...! :-)
    justinope likes this.
  14. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    if you can take a picture of your feet on the ground(tip toe or whatever) with the r seat and the s seat.
    i am also 30 inseam and would like to see... i figure i'll probably have to tip toe with the r seat until an aftermarket shows up but i would love to see a pic of how it will look with both seats
    Venturer likes this.
  15. gp999

gp999 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    im a 30 inseam and the r is tiptoe for me. would like it a inch lower, may go lower seat when avail. love the bike, its so smooth compare to my 690 adv r
  16. explodingmouse

explodingmouse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    690 adv r ?
  17. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess you weren't so excited once you got the bike, no update in 3 months of ownership.
  18. gp999

gp999 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love this bike, coming from ktm690 adv
    Barekat likes this.
  19. gp999

gp999 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just saw touratech offer progressive spring set that lowers by 30mm