KTM 790 Adv tire and wheel thread.

Discussion in 'KTM 790/890' started by Migolito, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Please use this thread to post up your experiences and questions re TIREs and WHEELs for the KTM 790 ADV.
  2. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll get this going for you...

The only thing that can mess up a 790 more than bar risers is a set of TKC 80s..

If you are considering either go back to riding BMWs

There ya go M... that should get some action
  3. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^ LOL.

How about K60'S? I hear they're great! :)

Motoz RallZ for me at the moment. Long trip tire (I hope).
    mlyamkaw and Nowwhat like this.
  4. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    So...... offer an alternative.

And what’s wrong with bar risers? We aren’t all the same height.
    riitijok likes this.
  5. Maoule

Maoule Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Shinkos, no, wait...avons, michelins, pirelli, mitas, metzler, motoz, bridgestone, etc. More importantly, what oil?
    Nowwhat likes this.
  6. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    What happens when you put a Tkc80 on a 21 inch rim that is over 2" wide then run it off road ...even worse what happens when you do all that on a tubeless rim ....

Wont really matter if you have bar risers as you will probably wash the front end out before you taco the rim

This is fun....
    pjh66 likes this.
  7. Yzlvr

Yzlvr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NW loves TKC80's! :jack
    Nowwhat likes this.
  8. Rodooo

Rodooo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any experience of the anlas Capra x ??
  9. The_Eccentric

The_Eccentric Gearhead. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Northern CA. Soon to be WY. Hope WY NEVER changes!
    How about big honkin' hard boxes and/or a big comfy touring seat wif a backrest? :D

I'm going to swap on Tractionator RallZ's in place of the Karroo 3's just about as soon as the bike arrives. Probably will try to get the dealer to throw in the tire swap labor before I take possession of it.
    Nowwhat likes this.
  10. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lol! Tell us how you really feel!

Didn’t they run TKC 80s on the ultimate race bikes? I liked them on my 1190 as a 50/50 tubeless tire option on the stock wheels. I did bend a front rim on a square edge hole and I have seen several fronts fail from sidewall punctures on rocky terrain of which one was plugged and the other required a tube.

Right now I am debating on tire options for my Dubya wheels with a 1.85 front and a 3.50 rear rim width. Previously running Golden Tyre 723s on the 1190 with this wheel set up. I liked the Golden Tyres ok when they were new. They seemed to get a little noisey after about 1500 miles.

Were you the one who was advocating the Dunlop 908RR in the other thread? I would like to see how much they weigh compared to the Golden Tyre. If they are lighter I would definitely give them a try.
    Nowwhat likes this.
  11. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    Hahaha no...they did not race them in Morocco...
    Screenshot_20190716-130849_Samsung Internet.jpg The ONLY reason this tire exists is because they look tough on a GS when parked at Starbucks...that is the only reason Touratech exists too....
  12. Brilloman

Oddometer:
    Ok, I stand corrected. They ran Michelin desert race tires. Do you have any constructive input on tires for the 790?
    jho410, ibgary and Nowwhat like this.
  13. Motoxmama

Motoxmama n00b

Oddometer:
    Ride your own ride! If you need risers use them, whatever makes you comfortable with riding any bike. FYI, Im running the TKC 80s on mine and love them. However they are not supposed to be a long lasting tire. Also heard the Mitas E-07 work well and last a lot longer. Might try them next.
    scfrank likes this.
  14. Brilloman

Oddometer:
    This is a tire thread so I don't know why we are talking about bar risers anyway.

For some reason ever since I ran a Cheng Shin tire on my KX250 back in 83 I can’t get into those non major brand tires and I make that statement in total in total ignorance of the Mitas brand.

I prefer Dunlop, Michelin, Pirelli and yes even Continental brand tires.
    scfrank and Nowwhat like this.
  15. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    I like the Dunlop 606/908 combo based solely on the fact that I know the tire....I know when and where they will start to give up and how far they will go before grabbing again...they wear well....do plenty good on tarmac and will get you up that hill...

I am sure the new Motoz and GT offerings are quality....

Based on a myriad of experiences...I can confidently say the tkc80 in a 21" size is a very dangerous tire...and all though we are joking around here...I have no reservations in slamming this POS tire repeatedly if it saves one rider from going down....

As to ride your own ride.....that is some piss poor advice for someone who doesn't have the experience to make these determinations yet.....If someone tells you they love TKC80s ask them for a latte and where to buy some cool BMW gear....bar riser?...you want to be comfortable....or do you want to be comfortable AND in control.....risers aren't the answer
    The_Eccentric likes this.
  16. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I’m assuming you won’t be using a brp tower with your Scott’s mount? They raise the bar some.
  17. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    I am not.....trying the XC gear mount...still will raise them a bit so I ordered a lower bend bar to make up some of the difference......At 6'3" still don't need any rise....

I get risers for medical reasons.....I will put ape hangers on my bike if it keeps me riding when I can't ride properly anymore....but until then......
    Migolito likes this.
  18. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    omg, you're so gonna die.
    Nowwhat likes this.
  19. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Just to show how poor of a rider I really am, I'm liking the stock tires so far. Just slab, but, real smooth and vibration free. Lotsa dirt next month though. This fall I'm thinking of doing a big loop ride from S-Cal to Washington State-ish and hanging a right for a while, then heading south for a while then...we'll hell, thats enough planning. Point is I'm thinkin of the Tractionator GPS, so, I'm needing to wear these out. Who here has ran the GPS?

https://motoz.com.au/product/tractionator-gps/
    scfrank likes this.
  20. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I will get tkc 80. It’s what KTM used at 790 press intro. Good thing about tires, they get changed.:D

Can’t find mitas e07 in 150 rear size.