KTM 790 Adv tire and wheel thread.

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe (790/890)' started by Migolito, Jul 14, 2019.

1. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    In addition.
    Cyclists have been using it for “ghetto tubeless” pretty successfully for some time now.
    The_Eccentric and TarMack like this.
  2. mickp701

mickp701 n00b

Oddometer:
    After reading through this thread it seems like Motoz Rallz is the favorite. I do like the look of these but unfortunately there is no distributor or stockist where I am based. I can get them but they come in at about 50% more expensive than my second choice which is Anakee Wilds. So the question is just that - are the Rallzs worth 50% more than a set of Wilds? I didnt see any feedback for the Wilds on a 790 yet but the GS boys rate them. I ride more tarmac (very twisty alpine roads) but I am happy to sacrifice on road ability for dirt prowess since my dirt skills need all the help they can get and that is the terrain I seek to have most fun. My trails are mostly rock, gravel with too may baby head sized rock sections thrown in to keep it challenging. Often steep. Winter is starting to rear its head so im expecting to be encountering mud and wet tarmac often. The K3s have been ok in the dry but suck in mud and get scary in the wet.

What shall I get?:hmmmmm
  3. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    also original tractionators were loud as f&%k are those any better?
    how many miles do they last? they are on the expensive side
  4. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    also vs the motoz adv any opinion
  5. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't wait to hear my Desert H/T's wail when they're mounted on Thursday. lol If you thought the rallyz are loud. I'll accept that trade off if they rock on the trail.
  6. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    dont know about the rallz i know about the original tractinators.
    thats why i was asking if the were just as/less then /more then the original
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  7. mickp701

mickp701 n00b

Oddometer:
    I havent used any of the Motoz tires so cant comment on noise levels. Noise level is the only real negative that I have heard relating to the Wilds. Most guys are saying they are noisy as. I think the noise is something I can live with. I usually wear earplugs when travelling any distance on pavement. I have heard comments about the K3s being noisy but I cant say I noticed any even without earplugs. I did hear other reports that Rallzs are on the loud side but not a show-stopper
  8. billiards101

billiards101 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just did around 2500 miles on the Motoz Rallz with the 790 R during an Idaho trip. Mix of atv, fireroads and around 30% highway. Tires performed excellent at 28 PSI the whole time, did feel the rim once or twice hitting rocky ruts at speed but no issues (other than blowing out the rear shock near end of trip). Did not run into any mud the whole trip. Rear has about 40-50% remaining and front approx 60% remaining after 2500 miles. Definitely some road noise on highway, but no worse IMHO than similar tires, throw some earplugs in for longer highway stints and enjoy the road.
  9. mickp701

mickp701 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info! Sounds like a cool trip. Wish I could go on a 2500 mile trip. I already made up my mind and ordered the Rallzs this morning - the Wilds when new look worn out compared to the MotoZ . They should be with me in around about 1 week, my bald K3s can soldier on for a little longer and make the traction control earn its living.

Shame about the rear shock - hopefully that will be a warranty job. I bet that is a spendy component to replace.
  10. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    First day on the MotoZ Desert H/T's. Louder on hwy & even hard pack I think. Bumps and road surface impact rider more which makes sense. They don't just glide along quietly. Surface bumps and such will occasionally give the bike a bump up, when contrasted with smooth hwy while on gravel or dirt you wouldn't notice. Very good in the gravel with Indian rubber ball sized dolls heads etc. No matter what the variety of surfaces in the bush the bike was incredibly predictable. The suspension soaked most everything up. I found I did less braking in corners. Partly because I learned to trust the rear wasn't going to skate out like the Karoo's might have done. The grip in gravel is so good that at my usual TC=4 It took more throttle to break loose the rear. I did more work with the knees driving the bike direction, while swinging my hips to the outside of the turns to maintain traction over the tires. Wonderful for keeping the pace up, rather than braking so much. Next time out I'll knock TC down to 1 or even 0 if I can figure out how to go to 0. I saw that mentioned in a video once but have forgotten how he did it.

Haven't taken the H/T's in the real dirt, single track yet but I imagine they will be stellar.

20190822_151842.jpg

One more ..

20190822_150144.jpeg
  11. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:

psi?
  12. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    Never asked the shop. Never checked, though it did cross my mind. I'll take a look tomorrow. With all this dented rim chatter I doubt I'll want to air down much, though these tires have a decent sidewall I think.
    TarMack likes this.
  13. TarMack

TarMack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My rear shock is leaking, too. At 2000 miles. Leaking right onto the catalytic converter. What is the flash point of suspension fluid??? The good news is KTM is standing behind it and repairing it under warranty, approving overnight shipping to their suspension shop in Ohio. The bad news: the shock shouldn't be leaking after 2000 miles, 500 off road miles.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  14. ChipM

ChipM n00b

Oddometer:
    With all the experienced off road adventure riders contributing to this thread, I'm hoping someone can please explain the advantages of the narrower wheels that KTM chose for the Rally version of the 790R Adventure.
  15. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    Cutting down through the crap to obtain traction .. similar to pizza cutter on a 4x4. Plus the rim becomes a bit more protected by the tire I think, as well as being inherently stronger. Thats just my take on it .. keep reading.
    TarMack likes this.
  16. ChipM

ChipM n00b

Oddometer:
    Wouldn’t there be a traction and grip advantage from a wider tire creating a bigger contact patch with the terrain?
    ibgary likes this.
  17. Subaruvich

Subaruvich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On hard surface yes, but in loose sand or gravel wider tire would float more rather than grip.
    ibgary likes this.
  18. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On pavement yes, off-road on loose gravel and mud not so much. A narrow wheel tire combo also allows you to ride more precise lines in a single track scenario.
    ibgary likes this.
  19. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    You also have the advantage of running tubes, and the rim size opens up a vast array of tire choices. You might even be able to run tubliss or mousses; not sure. This allows dramatic airing down of the tires for grip in more technical terrain.

I'm sticking with my MotoZ H/T's in OEM sizing & tubeless for now. If and when I really begin pushing it in difficult terrain, then I'll know whether my style of riding requires a narrower rim.

Maybe I'm not the right guy to be answering this :D
  20. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    I ran 100km of fast gravel logging roads yesterday. A wide variety of surfaces from gravel on hard pack, stretches of larger aggregate the size of a N/A 790 signal, and really loose, deep fill with dolls heads that must have just been 'graded'. The one place I felt was a challenge at a decent pace were the stretches of soft dirt (4") with huge dolls heads everywhere. I was happy when it tapered out and became hard pack with the regular gravel cover.

Bottom line, IF you wish to stick with OEM, you'll do fine especially if you go with an aggressive tread. And as for being loose in the gravel, that is relative I guess. I was running TC 4 yesterday and had to work to break the rear loose which was nice. The tires were predictable but given enough throttle, and a bump of a knee and around she'd slide.

Haven't tried mud, and kinda not looking forward to it with OEM sizing...we'll see. At least I won't be on Karoo's. ;)

It all comes down to riding style, and where you live. A guy in the PNW may choose a different rim size and tire from a guy in Utah.
    mickp701 likes this.