KTM 790 Adv tire and wheel thread.

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe (790/890)' started by Migolito, Jul 14, 2019.

1. TarMack

TarMack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree with all TrailTrauma is saying. I've tried mud. Like a wide tire in the snow, a wider wheel/tire in the mud floats and skates instead of sinking it and biting. I just received my 1.60" rim. I will give a report after getting it installed and tested. Expecting improved handling and better protection from dings off road. Already put 4 dings in stock front rim.
  2. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tire choice is the number one factor. I thought the stock tires were pretty good on small loose gravel. I rode the New Zealand KTM Rally last November on a 690. The bike was equipped with Mitas tires and I struggled in the gravel for the first 3 days. On day 4 I bought Pirelli MT21s and that was the best $300 I ever spent. The bike was soooo much better in the gravel.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  3. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    This ought to be interesting in thick mud, when it picks up a decent rock...I can't recall how close the Karoo was.

20190822_151931.jpg
    TarMack likes this.
  4. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    But isnt the purpose of airing down to get a larger contact area?
  5. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    There’s a happy medium everyone has to find between the tire having low enough psi to grip and a high enough psi to not strike the rim and/or burp if it’s tubeless. Since everyone weighs a different amount, rides with a little different style and in many cases uses a different width rim or tire (with varying carcass stiffness) that magic number is going to be a little different for everyone. And don’t forget to adjust for temperature too.
    Sometimes you gotta go by feel. This is one of those cases.
    TarMack and Brilloman like this.
  6. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    two different things from the explanations.

Narrower RIM (I assume a 2.5" but I haven't bothered to check the specs, as I assume the OE rim for the standard 790 is wider more like a 4.5" given the 150 tire) allows you to run the more off road oriented rubber in a 140/80-18 DOT or 120/100-18 off road size tire. Also the 2.5" rim will be much stronger than a 4.5" rim all other things being equal.

Ditto for the 2.5" front rim vs an off road oriented 1.85 or 1.6" rim.

FYI the stock rims on the 950 SE (very strong wheels) are Dirt Star 21x1.85" and 18x2.50". I've run mine pretty hard off road for a few years and have yet to have a pinch flat or flat spot a rim. Blown up bearings yes, but no issues with the rims or spokes. I considered getting a set of A60 rims to build up for another set of wheels but found a good deal on a set of wheels with stock SE/Dirt Star rims. The A60 is considered to be one fo the strongest rims on the market (go look at what the factory MX/SX teams are using) but it's only a 1.60" front and 2.15" rear rim. narrow is stronger and lighter.
    TarMack likes this.
  7. cc3

cc3 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just installed some Anakee wilds. Using "Ride On" as my balancer/ tire sealant. Working great so far. Quieter than the stock Karoo's. Feels good on dry gravel but so did the Karoo's. I'll get some miles on them and have a better comparison.
    ibgary and TarMack like this.
  8. strongleftleg

strongleftleg Party Guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    27B42FC3-04EC-49C8-AC6F-DD4BE28EEDC7.jpeg CCAC8520-67EA-4C08-84D4-FF3D80025FF4.jpeg In spite of the warnings of some, my favourite adventure bike combo: TKC80 front, E07 rear
  9. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    well where ever i looked in the us the motoz rallz rear is out of stock.
    so ordered the rallz front and the motoz adv for the rear ..any opinions ?
    ibgary likes this.
  10. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I checked around the usual spots in Canada for you and it seems the same. What about the Tractionator Desert H/T. It's what I'm running. North America just got it's shipment of them last week or so. Rave reviews, great wear. I love 'em so far. Noisier sure, but they rock in the woods so far. (To be clear .. they rock. Me? Not so much .. :D )
    TarMack likes this.
  11. Apo

Apo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just put the Motoz Rallz on my 790R, will test tomorrow in dirt/rocks/mud all day and will report here :)

I also installed Ian Chappel's skidplate. It a an absolute PIECE OF ART!
    And engine free, so to speak. Installation took about 1h30.

Here are a few pictures.

OEM "skidplate" + plastic "crap flap" was 1500gr.

Attached Files:

ibgary, Nowwhat and nibby like this.
  12. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Once I decided to get the Motoz Rallz, I looked around and found they were all out of stock as well, so I got busy with something else and looked again about a week later and they were in stock in 2 stores at that time, so I ordered them. I suggest waiting a bit, or calling around to see when the next shipments will arrive, rather than settling for second choice. For example, Chapparal's website says they will be back in stock in 7-10 days.
  13. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    so i originally ordered for chapmoto and they were listed in stock but i only got the front tire so i called (yesterday ) and they told me end of Sept
    i was kind of pissed but moved on. I have a 800 mile trip in 2 weeks can't really wait

where did you get yours from
  14. kubcat

Oddometer:
    Rocky Mountain - they currently show B/O till 9/24 also.

BTW, be careful ordering tires from Chapmoto. I see you are from NY - so I am I. I was going to order from Chapmoto, because I like the reviews they provide, (and they had it in stock at the time Rocky Mtn didn't). However, the shipping charges are ASTROCOMICAL (no - not a typo). They charge PER TIRE, regardless of bundling them as a single package. I was also ordering replacements for my 350 excf, so I would have had to pay about $160 for ground shipping to new york!!! Even though checking out on the web site indicates a flat rate for the order of about $50, I received a call from the processing department saying there was a mistake on the order and I would need to pay an additonal $120 if I wanted my tires. No Thank You. Then I re-checked RMATVC and they were in stock. Free shipping for orders over $75, they arrived in 3 days, and I was a happy biker. Chapmoto is now officially banned from my list of vendors. But I still like the reviews on youtube.
  15. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yea that when chap guy said they'll get it my trip start on the 9/12
    i guess i'll use the rallz front and the adv rear for now and will change next time
  16. kubcat

Oddometer:
    Let us know how the ADV rear works out for you. I was torn between that and the Rallz, but went with the Rallz in the end.
    TarMack likes this.
  17. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will change to the rallz later most likely but wil let you guys know
  18. mlyamkaw

mlyamkaw Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer:
    They are almost the same tire. I have run both on my 1190, not a huge difference. More spacing on the Rallz, so should be a little better off-road, and less mileage on the pavement. I couldn’t really tell the difference. I’ve got the Rallz’s on my 790 now.
    You might check if the importer/distributor has some. I have purchased direct from him in the past when I couldn’t find them...
    http://pacificpowersports.com/
  19. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks, checked them yesterday not in stock
  20. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually

Oddometer:
    Weird, I didn’t get charged shipping. But I do seem to remember I added some straps to my order and I think I did that to meet a certain #\$ threshold for free shipping.

I won’t be using them again either. Shipping was 8 days but the tracking was a mess.

Maybe I’m spoiled w having done most my moto shopping w RevZilla. I ordered a helmet w the 2day free shipping. I tracked it from Vegas to Jersey. Was amazed how quick it got to my front door.