KTM 790 Adv tire and wheel thread.

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Jul 14, 2019.

1. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    very heavy tire overall, very stiff sidewall (a bear to get on). I haven't noticed any rim contact yet, but I've only had them on for 3 weeks. I have been running them at street pressures on gravel and sand (32psi) and haven't ridden any rocky single track with them yet.
  2. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wasn't happy with the offroad performance of the Karoos so have put on a Pirelli Scorpion Rally on the front and Mitas E-07 plus on the rear. I've been running both at 30 psi, same as I did for the Karoos. I can't be bothered changing pressures as I go on/off road during a ride. 30 psi seems to be the sweet spot for balance between off road and on road capability while avoiding rim damage.

The Mitas is a fantastic upgrade so far. I've not put on enough mileage to test longevity but in every other way I prefer it to the Karoo. It holds traction much longer in those circumstances that really challenge the Karoo - sand and mud. With the Karoo when TC kicks in, you need to back off in order to find traction. The Mitas is a bit different, TC kicks in and that's enough to allow the tyre to get back on top of things, allowing you to keep more of your momentum. It gives more confidence on road as well, which was a pleasant suprise.

The Rally front has similarly boosted ability in the dirt. Braking distances and grip on road seem similar to Karoo.

While I'm sure folks with more of an offroad background can better ride around the Karoo's shortcomings, this change has given me much more confidence offroad. There have been times where I'm feeling more in control, despite running through a section a gear higher.
    Rudderfeet and ibgary like this.
  3. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree with the increased confidence after switching to a better offroad tire than the Karoo. In my case the Motoz Rallz. Mitas E-07+ is a strong choice as well. While I haven't tried the new "plus" version, I have been running the original E-07 Dakar version on my wee-strom (now a hand-me-down to my son), based on a recommendation from a buddy who rides a Yammy STen. That tire is wearing quite well, but my buddy replaced his when it wore out with the new E-07+, and he says it wears down much more quickly than the original. His old one may have been a Dakar version, and his new one may not be, which would account for some wear differences. There is also no center bar in the plus version. This means the plus is better offroad for displacing mud and biting in sand after the initial read has worn down, but the center tread gave the old version a longer life on the road, even if it became more like 35/65 once the center bar started showing.
  4. NHktmRider

NHktmRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Were you riding out of Field and Forest? My bro and cousin were there but I wasn’t able to ride on Saturday.
  5. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was.
  6. Stujiro

Stujiro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure i understand this. The TC kicks in, then you have to back off to get traction? If the TC is kicking in then it's backing off for you. If it's not giving you traction after kicking in regardless of tire then i think you've got your TC set to low for the tire/surface. Were you running rally at a low tc number?

I'm not saying the mitas isn't a better offroad tire than the karoo, i'm sure that's true i'm just not sure i understand what you're saying here.
  7. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I probably didn't express it well. Very low grip surfaces were problematic with the Karoo. When the TC kicks in, it generally meant you needed to back off, otherwise you'd just get stuck in a loop - slip, TC, momentary grip, slip, TC, momentary grip, repeat. I found this frustrating. If you take the TC setting much lower they made you feel as in control as a giraffe on ice skates. I just couldn't find a TC setting that would work for me, YMMV.
  8. Subaruvich

Subaruvich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    New wheels on order.
    21x1.85
    18x2.5
    fc5e773f-8004-4b12-89fa-1056ff5d1a50.jpg
    reg71, ramirin, Noyah and 5 others like this.
  9. Stujiro

Stujiro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I gotcha. I think in this scenario you could turn the tc up a notch or two and just stay on the throttle. I recently completed the trans wisconsin trail on the karoos and didn't find them to be awful. The front was kind of floaty on gravel but i'm not sure what tire is great in that scenario. I'm honestly considering the new TrailMaxes as my next tire as i've got 2500 miles on the karoo and the rear is about cooked.
    Venturer likes this.
  10. tomstrommer

tomstrommer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I too had the old style e-07 on my DL 1000 ,was the best rear tire for that bike, the front not so much. may have to try the new E07 +, curious if the anybody running the Rallz front tire is getting excessive cupping.
  11. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, when will someone do a 19/17 conversion?

Or, more importantly, when will KTM?

I really don't understand why KTM didn't make the regular 790 with a 19/17 wheelset.

I don't do enough technical riding to need a 21/18, and find a 19/17 works far better for me on pavement and perfectly fine for the off pavement riding I do. I had a 19/17 setup for my 990 and used it most of the time- so much so that when I got an 1190 I went for the regular version.
    windblown101 and SoilSampleDave like this.
  12. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would tend to agree with that sentiment. Even though for my use the 21/18 is the best choice it does seems like KTM could have created some more separation between the R & S by going with a more street oriented wheel set on the S and an even more narrow wheel set on the R.
  13. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree wholeheartedly. Be aware though, the same people that crucified me for making the exact point you just did will likely be along any second to do it again.
    SoilSampleDave and windblown101 like this.
  14. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The weird thing for me is that I have ridden 18/21 on dirt bikes my whole life and I am more comfortable riding that wheel size combo on the street than more street oriented wheel sizes. I know it sounds stupid but jumping off my dirt bikes onto my adventure bikes feels natural.
    ibgary, ramirin and SoilSampleDave like this.
  15. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I’m exactly the same way; a bona fide street bike feels odd to me. But if you’ve never tried a bike with 19/17 wheels, you might be surprised.
  16. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Everyone is a snowflake .. and everyone will settle on a solution which best suits their needs. I see 2 deep divides in the 790 population based purely on the comments in these threads - 1) seat height concerns, and 2) wind screen effectiveness.

I'm one of those nuts who will continue looking for greater travel down the road, and am tickled pink to actually have my very first wind screen period so neither factor in. I'll settle for the protection the R windscreen affords, and as I extend the suspension travel I'll just extend the stand and add a doohickey on that stand so it's easier to flick back up; particularly for when my right boot ends up landing downhill when I stop on a trail.

Whereas many will focus on lowering the seat for security, and opt for a plethora of wind sreen upgrades to match their own needs. Bikes are meant to be a starting point, in my view, as they come stock. It's the riders job to mod the shit out of their bike to bend it to their will, and every whim. Thats 30% of the fun of bike ownership. I won't disparage anyone in the pursuit of achieving that.
    ibgary and Bluetonguejak like this.
  17. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Getting 2nd wheel set is probably the best offroad mod you can do for R to get more confidence (and cheaper tires with wide selection). It costs money but most likely you get 90% of that back when sell the wheels set as they are the same for all current big ktm advs.

I did this to my 990 back in the day and when got 790, next day ordered 21x1.85 & 18x2.5 wheel set.
    Screenshot_9.jpg
    Subaruvich likes this.
  18. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @TrailTrauma

I was thinking as I read your post "sheesh, my R is fine with only a couple of small mods". Then I started to add up all the changes I've made to it and while each one individually is pretty small the final product is tweaked a fair amount and I'm not done yet... hahaha.

Some owners will mod for more of a street bias, others will mod for more of an offroad bias. Some will use the bike as a short range straffer, others will mod for big miles. It's an adaptable machine.

I'm a mixed bag, some of my mods were to make it better offroad, some to make it better on road, and some to make it better for long trips.

I want the bike to do it all because if there is one thing I've learned it's that regardless of how many bikes you have in the garage you only have the one you take with you once you pull out of the driveway.
  19. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    With multiple bikes you also need a van to get them all on a drive :lol3
    windblown101 likes this.
  20. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:

I gave in to reality and just do all my mods day one hahaha.

I wish me 950Se was set up in 2008 the way it was in 2016....