KTM 790 Adv tire and wheel thread.

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Jul 14, 2019.

1. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    That's the type of video where you always expect a crash :muutt

That Sharon makes nice sound, especially when quick shifting..
  2. turbofan790

turbofan790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lol why is that? I was keeping it conservative, feeling the tires out.

I love the little fart on upshifts when quickshifting.

I know the Sharon didn't make any more power, but the sound just makes the ride so much more enjoyable for me.

Anyway, back to tires :p3rry
  3. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the video :) But I gotta ask...whats happening with the white car pulled over. I can't make out what is happening on the shoulder. It almost looks like a person in a white jkt, laying on their left side. Hit & run? Are they a photographer trying for a shot of something out of frame? Seems like a dumb ass place to pull over.

I gotsta know man...
  4. turbofan790

turbofan790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haha. Photographer taking a shot at something across the valley. There wasn't a decent shoulder there, and there was very little traffic on the road. A bit dumb but not extremely dangerous.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  5. Orfeas

Orfeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, i am about to order a wheel set from haan and need your suggestions. I will opt for 21x1.85 and 18x2.50, but the question is, should i go for the tubeless option (+100€) ? Is there any drawback on this? Also need your view on TUBELISS system, i have one set of the latest version sitting on my bench and was wondering if it worths a try, but not sure i want to drill my new wheel set :lurk

2F3C27FA-AA72-4AD8-88CE-A3AF0E436255.jpeg
    comac90 likes this.
  6. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think the question comes down to on the road/trail repairs and tire size availability. My tubeless repair kit is plugs, inflator, trail stand, levers and emergency tube. If you opt for tube tires and you are running low PSI, you will need spare HD tubes, inflator, trail stand. Heavier/bulkier repair kit, since HD tubes are quite heavy and very bulky, and my current spare tube is medium duty and the plugs weigh nothing and take up little space. I run tubliss in my 350 EXC, which I have set up for xcountry adventure riding, but getting everything working well is finicky and requires slime, which makes trail repairs harder if the inner tube needs to be replaced. It also forces me to carry replacement inner tubes for a longer trip, which adds weight and bulk to my kit. Even so, I wouldn't go back to tubes on the 350, since they have been quite reliable so far. Personally I would go tubeless, unless the tires you want run are only available in tube type, in which case I would run the tubliss setup. I don't see myself running tubes ever again. Of course I don't ride hard enduro or Rally Race pace rides, so that riding style may call for a different solution.
    Orfeas and Venturer like this.
  7. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I also think 2.5 is slightly wider than Tubliss recommends, although it seems to work fine.
  8. Orfeas

Orfeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your reply, shined some light on my questions. Thats the first time i get to own a tubeless bike, so not familiar with tyre options. I know for a fact that repairing is easier than having tubes, although a badly bent wheel might and the day with tears (here comes your emergency tube i guess). Now about tyre options, on my 690 i was using TKC80 and then Anakee wild. Are those tyres coming on tubeless version too? :confused

Yeah you are right, they claim 2.15 max width. I am probably going to sell my kit, too much complexity and things to break down i guess. Also drilling my wheels? no way:hmmmmm
  9. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:

I like mine too and have the same conclusions.
  10. Subaruvich

Subaruvich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don’t think you can get 21x1.85 and 18x2.5 Excel wheels tubeless from Haan. I couldn’t. At least not the colours I wanted or not Excel rims. These are mine 21x1.85 and 18x2.5 laying in the garage since they arrived two weeks ago. They come without a bead lock (aka “hump”) and can’t be used with tubeless tires. Which sucks.
    Adjustments.jpg
    Double check with Haan what sizes, colours and alloys are available for tubeless tires.
  11. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Nice!

But why do I feel like the dog got the boot off his carpet when your rims and Akro were delivered? :D
    Subaruvich likes this.
  12. Orfeas

Orfeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    just got a response that tubeless is not recommended on this rim size. Make sense I guess..

1AC50BF0-E3AB-457E-BDD6-6B03CAB9E7D6.jpeg
  13. Subaruvich

Oddometer:
    I think what they mean is that they can seal these rims and they are not gonna leak the air. But they will not have the bead lock for tubeless tires. As far as I am informed the smallest Excel rim size with bead lock is 21x2.15 and 18x4.25.
    SoilSampleDave likes this.
  14. Orfeas

Orfeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ok, makes sense! Thanks for the info. Are these (21x2.15 18x4.25) the stock rim dimension as well?
  15. Subaruvich

Oddometer:
    Stock rims are 21x2.5 and 18x4.5
    Orfeas likes this.
  16. Orfeas

Orfeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok thanks, couldn’t find that info on google. So practically the excel with the safety bead are not narrow enough to unlock new tyre choices!
  17. truckergemi

truckergemi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I’ve read a lot about keeping a set of emergency tubes even on tubeless tires. What kind of tubes should I be keeping for the stock 790 R tire?
    ibgary likes this.
  18. factoryphil

factoryphil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    you need to carry a 21" front and 400/450-18" rear light duty tubes
  19. jmarleau

jmarleau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tubliss has been a game changer for me for my enduro bike. Especially after discovering Stan's Tire Sealant. I don't think I will be going back to tubes anytime soon. Depending on the riding you will be doing with your 790, you might not like tubliss. It is way harder to balance and you really have to stay on top of the high pressure side before each ride. I know I have no need for it on my 790. If you have wheel set, set up for off-road specific stuff, you might consider a mousse? Depending on the size, you might be able to run a mousse without a rim lock. Check Neutech's site for options (Nitro-Mousse). I know Lyndon Poskitt has attempted this on the rear of his 690 Ralley, even for multi continent, long distance stuff.
  20. jmarleau

jmarleau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure. Keep looking into it. You can run a 140-80-18 with the stock 4.5 inch rim. I have run a 140 on my Africa Twin and the 790. There are many 140mm enduro tires available. I ran a 90/100-21 fatty Shinko MX216 with a tube up front and a 140/80-18 Shinko MX216 tubeless in the rear on the stock 790 wheels with good success.