KTM 790 Adv tire and wheel thread.

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was running a 908rr . Figured I would finally try something new..
  2. DirtyDaveMO

DirtyDaveMO Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tube type is all I see for the 140. Is that what it is?
  3. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    yes....
  4. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    There was a post somewhere of a rider using his 790 in a week long rally

He had video links and talked about different tires and mousses

Anyone know where the post is?

Thanks
  5. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    There is a tubeless 140 in the Rallz
  6. nibby

nibby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any experience with running mousses on the big bikes? I'm thinking of a set for my dirt wheels when I'm using the bike for mostly dirt riding with some road to link up the trails - not touring and probably no more than 100 miles in a day type of riding.

I've always run them in smaller bikes but not sure how long they would last on the bike bikes. Anyone tried similar?

cheers
  7. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    There is a post somewhere of a guy in Europe riding his big bike in a rally for a week with a rear mousse.

I am considering it as well. Probably rear tire only for safety....also read of a team in Australia that fitted grease zerks on the rim to inject more lube as needed... smart
    ramirin and nibby like this.
  8. nibby

nibby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    cant find anything when searching...sounds promising though. I'd rather be riding so thinking it might be a worthwhile purchase.

Like that idea about the lube.

They've always lasted longer than they should on the small bikes, always at least 12 months, so I'm hopeful. Just cant find anyone riding them on the adv bikes.

Front should be ok?? are you running rim locks?
  9. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    Found it... it was a 950se

THE RIDER WROTE...
    prepared 2 rear wheels. One with a Linswood WinX mousse and Mitas C-02 tire and the other with a Michelin M-02 mousse in a Michelin M 12 XC tire. Both mousse were not new and I do not keep a record of their uses. I measure their the circumference: 31.5cm and 32cm for the WinX and Michelin respectively.
    The WinX mousse died the first day after about 250km while I used it for at least 200km for test rides in Holland. The Michelin mousse stayed alive the remaining 6 days (2000km). I put it into the Mitas tire after day 5. So the Mitas was used on day 1, 6 and 7, for about 750km and is halfway its life I would say. The Michelin was used on day 2, 3, 4 and 5 for about 1650km and is 70% gone. These days contained a lot of tarmac but I did not drive faster than 100km/h.

The Mitas is a bit wobbly on tarmac due to it tall knobs. With the Michelin I had the feeling I could scrape the footpegs. Off-road both tires had descent grip and no knobs were torn off. On the front I used a Mitas C-21 which performed pretty good. Sharp enough to give grip in mud and hard enough to withstand cornering on gravel and rocks. I used a UHD tube with 1.6 to 1.8 bar.

I hope this is some useful info.
    ramirin and nibby like this.
  10. nibby

nibby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good find and yes very useful thanks. I'm going to go with the Michelin Desert mousse as I've had good life in the past with them (cant find anything on the Nitro on the big bikes) Also got in touch with someone on FB who I noticed was using mousses. He's also using Desert and for the same types of riding I'll be using them for and he really rates them, says he's getting around 2k miles from them before changing. Just waiting on delivery of the rear wheel now to get going.

Re the C21 - I installed a new C21 on the front yesterday and got out today in the Welsh mud and it was pretty good, lots of grip. - Paired with a E09-Dakar rear on stock rim but in a 140 - great - 140 felt a lot better than my old GT723 in a 150.

Felt a bit more confident with the new skidplate as well :) Going stealth atm :)

Wales is always wet/damp and normally very sketchy on the trails especially this time of year so the combo above was a winner.

20200102_130946.jpg

Attached Files:

CalamariKid, Nowwhat and ramirin like this.
  11. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Mitas C-02 feels like it's flat when new since those long knobs bending everywhere, it also wears out quickly in the beginning but knobs also get bigger all the time and bend less, heat goes down and wearing slows. First things when it's coming to an end is that breakings go long, still good grip sideways. Problem in wet & slippery is that tread is for motocross, straight lines crosswise make it either grip or complete lose. Hard to ride in controlled slide.

I have now Mitas C-18 rear and big hopes for that - no experience yet. For now uhds on 790, uhds on spike tyres and mousses on excs knobbies. And to be honest haven't had a flat since 5 years or so - and most of flat's I've seen are caused by mistake on installation.

My top 3 tips (tell me yours)
    - Use plenty of talc between uhd tube and tire
    - Loosen the valve nut for at least 5mm free play against rim (file the valve hole if needed to gain flawless free play)
    - First fill up with hand pump to avoid any wrinkles

and if you need to patch uhd, use plenty of tape around the patched place otherwise patch will wear out very pretty soon.

Screenshot_21.jpg
  12. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice. I do much the same.

Couple of things I do as well.

1) when mounting a tire that is off the rim I put just enough air in a new tube to give it shape first. Then talc the tube and the inside of the tire. Then insert the tube into the tire before starting to mount it on the rim. Then with the tire pushed towards the rim but not yet mounted I push the valve stem thru the hole in the rim and capture it by just starting the nut. Then mount the tire. All this eliminates pinched fingers from having to reach between the rim and a half mounted tire. Seems to make getting the tube perfectly aligned with the valve stem opening easier as well.

2) After the initial fill and the tire bead sets (which I do with shop air if at home) I pull the valve core and let the tube deflate and then refill one last time. No proof that it helps eliminate a wrinkle but it makes me feel good. Lol.

3) similar to what I quoted above, I snug the nut up against the valve cap.
    Salzig, Fabricator, Nowwhat and 2 others like this.
  13. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Exactly. Sometimes I put inner tube into tyre, fill up and let stay overnight. It makes tyre bead wider and if new inner tube it gets the right shape. Used uhd tubes tend to stay in shape without additional air, thins do need pre-air.

I do the same with valve but tight it all the way against rim at first, then after finished back up with the nut - valve 90 deg straight with tolerance of 0,1 =) The other nut and spacer I put onto tube valve and leave inside rim.

The weird thing is that I don't have compressor in garage and never missed one with tubes.
    windblown101 likes this.
  14. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    Well I have a 400 mile ride in a couple weeks.

I am going to go with a mousse in the back and see what's what...I run nitro mousses in my smaller bikes...this talk of 2000 miles from a mousse is amazing. Going to email nitromousse and see what they say about the 790
  15. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    2000 miles, or 2000 km? (1200 miles)
  16. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    Nibby said miles?

Dont like to mess with that communist kilo-crap...damn metric system with its logic and reasonable numbers is for girlie snowflakes that cant do math..

It's a quart of oil too damn it...

This is why the Canadian dollar is worth .14 cents on the USD....bwahahaa
    EvilSteve and Lill-Erik like this.
  17. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't a mousse only in the front make more sense than just in the rear?
  18. Lill-Erik

Lill-Erik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As long as we can agree that it is more logical and reasonable im all good with being a snowflake :D
    SoilSampleDave and Nowwhat like this.
  19. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    EvilSteve and Nowwhat like this.
  20. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    1.85 front rim plus all the 790 weight on that little tire... gonna try the rear first... carrying a 21" spare tube no big deal. Fits under the rear plastics.... nuetech tapped out on recommending a mousse for the 1.85