KTM 790 Adv tire and wheel thread.

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I tried the Rallz simply out of curiosity as I have run the Desert HT before....2 of the bikes this weekend ran the HT...

We are splitting hairs here..but between the Rallz...the 908RR and the HT....you are going to be happy in the dirt.....I would think it is a very very rare level of rider that would feel a big difference in these 3 on a 90hp bike...

The HT scares me a bit on wet pavement...the Rallz is untested for me on the wet but it looks more worthy...

The 908 is still probably my favorite as I just simply have more time on them and they are tough....
    kzeb and TrailTrauma like this.
  2. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    When I bought 690, that was the first time I ride a proper 'adventure' tire - karoo 3 or smthing. After finishing 1-2 knobby tires every trip with 990 I thought I will give adv.tire a shot and thought it would be so nice if I have something left after a trip that has 700km day to go there and same back after 3 days gravel/offroad around camp. Traveling consist somewhat 50/50 pavement to make it in one day. Total trip around 2400km.

And the result was .. almost slick tire after just getting there. Had to borrow new tire from inmate. If you only do like 200km a day you can get a lot more out of tire than doing 700km with only short breaks. Tire gets warmer and disappears very fast especially on higher speed and after 500km speed tends to increase automatically.

After that I moved back to Mitas C-02 - it has been the best choice to do the distance but still be capable for serious offroad.
    kzeb likes this.
  3. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think if you tried the "proper" Adventure tires from Motoz, you would find that people are getting 3000-5000 miles (not km) on mixed use.
    ZiggyInNc, EvilSteve and TrailTrauma like this.
  4. EvilTwin86

EvilTwin86 Lone Ranger

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried the Metzeler Sahara tires? They don't appear to come in the correct size for the rear, no 150/70 option would mean I would have to go with a 140/80.
  5. redneckK20

redneckK20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just in case no one has seen, Dunlop is releasing the D908RR in a 150/70-18 this year. Retails for about 220 bucks, I'm probably going to try one on my 1190 R at some point.
    kzeb likes this.
  6. kzeb

kzeb Been here quite some time

Oddometer:
    Good news but $$$ would they be worth it for the average Joe ?
  7. blackSP

blackSP 62 6c 61 63 6b 53 50

Oddometer:
    Really good for hard-pack, gravel, rocks and stuff. Don't ride it in mud and on wet grass. It will fail.
    kzeb likes this.
  8. Pulpo

Pulpo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi. I am about to get a set of Haan wheels for real knobie tyres. One thing I doubt is the back size of the rim. Most of you have 2.5. With this width, what tyres are you fitting on the back? Are the 140/80 suitable for the 2.5? I see some charts where this Tyre dimension is for 3.5 rim. I would appreciate your experience.
  9. DRglidarn

DRglidarn Panzer pilot

Oddometer:
    Made a video that shows the different Motoz tyres side by side. Ralls, Desert and Adventure front and rears.
    I ordered Rallz as said before but my dealer said i still could change. Not sure though, i think i will stick to the plan but the Desert looks more like the types i used on my 690 for years. Plan is that the Rallz hopefully performs better than Karoo's. I will do a review either way mid season next year.
  10. Kinkysmurf

Kinkysmurf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No problems, with 140/80 on 2.5. The tyre is 140/80 Dunlop 908RR or Rallz , Michy Deserts are my pick. I am guessing I will have plenty of opportunity to try different tyres . Really depend on where and how you ride.

008.JPG

021.JPG
  11. Pulpo

Pulpo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate!! I also went back through the thread and see some others are using 2.5 and 140 on the back.
  12. offroadjunky

offroadjunky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Picking up my new 790R in a couple weeks can't wait.I will be running the stock wheels for now, will a 140 fit on the rear or must I stay with the 150 tire on the stock rim for anyone that has tried.
  13. Venturer

Venturer AKA klakeman Supporter

Oddometer:

I have a MotoZ Tractionator Adventure in 18/140 on my 790R right now. Works fine.
    EvilSteve likes this.
  14. offroadjunky

offroadjunky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome,thanks.
  15. truckergemi

truckergemi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone tried the Motoz tractionator adventure and the Mitas E07s on the rear? It’s a hard decision to make.
    Rudderfeet likes this.
  16. tshansen

tshansen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the tractionator Adventure on my 690, and now the mitas e-07+ rear on my 790. It is two different tires. The desert tire is almost to good on gravel and dirt. The mitas tire is a great compromise between on and off road driving. If you are gonna do more tarmac, i would go for the mitas. If you are mainly doing gravel and dirt tracks, the adventure or rallyz tire :-)
    Rudderfeet, kubcat and ibgary like this.
  17. nibby

nibby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    New DID rear wheel to go with the A60 front looking forward to the weekend now :)

20200207_072124.jpg
    Nowwhat, tshansen, CaseyB and 4 others like this.
  18. tshansen

tshansen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really like the treadpattern on the mitas e-09... going to put on this rear tire when the season start's here in Norway as well. Have you ridden with this tire earlier? I'm running the tkc80 front now, but wonder if i will try something a little more agressiv on the front with the e-09
    nibby and Beshar like this.
  19. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wish E-09's we're readily available here in the US. Every time I look for some they are not in stock anywhere. :(
  20. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    I usually go with a 50/50 tire and my preference became the Mitos E-07 and or Heidenau K-60 (Dakar).
    I'm leaving CO, in about 3 weeks for the Yucatan then then CA, CO, then MT. About 10 k miles over 4 months. Looking for sugestions for road tire. No significant dirt until July.
    How is the Anakee 3?