KTM 790 Adv tire and wheel thread.

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The sensor is super easy to pop out (one bolt). It’s not worth the hassle of leaving it in.
    BHoward likes this.
  2. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Ahh yes, the fruits of the fine, artisanal butter that has been used to contract our OEM rims.

Context all the things

Meh, after a field change and a few garage changes; no need to remove the sensor.
    SoilSampleDave likes this.
  3. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those pre '16 rims were just sad. The AKronts they started using in 2016 were better, though not great. At least with the AKronts when you hit something hard enough to bend them you usually knew you had hit something at least fairly hard. ;)
  4. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the same thing happen to me 28 psi on a 2014 1190 with a TKC80 and a stock rim. It didn’t bend quite as bad but I had to beat the rim with a rock to keep it from losing pressure.
  5. Mudguts

Mudguts when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer:
    New wheels Haan hubs excel rims golden tyre front, motoz Rally rear , waiting motomaster disks and ABS rings

20200708_152147.jpg
  6. Jr717

Jr717 n00b

Oddometer:
    Does anyone use the Dunlop rally raid D908 tube tire on their 790r?
    I don’t know if I can just put an offset stem tube in the stock wheels without removing the thick rubber rim liner or not. Also any recommendations on offset tube manufacturer or dealer for the big 150 rear tire?
    Any help would be great
  7. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Motoz makes an offset stem tube and the tires you want as well.
    BHoward likes this.
  8. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just for reference for the thread:

Stock rims, rallyz, 26 psi, rocks of eastern utah- bent front in two spots

I *weigh 220lb and I don’t just plow the front into shit
    Nowwhat and SoilSampleDave like this.
  9. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still may have consumed all your travel and the energy was going to go somewhere. I'm 40lbs lighter and could still hit stuff occasionally and run out of suspension on the stock setup. Now that I have converted to std dual open chamber and have two functioning bottoming cones along with valving tweaked for me it would take a pretty scary hit to drive all the way thru the suspension and bottoming cone travel with enough energy left to drive a rim with a decent amount of air pressure into a rock.

At 220 I'd be calling someone for some springs. Nothing kills a rim quicker than running out of suspension.
  10. CaseyB

Oddometer:
    @windblown101 I will eventually.

Although with the new wheelset, I didn’t feel the rim at all while traversing New England roots and rocks a few weeks ago

I left the psi at 28 and didn’t mess with it. Felt darn good tbh.
    [​IMG]
  11. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    What width did you go with for your front rim?
  12. Calif-790R

Calif-790R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 19/17 Conversion has take a frustrating turn. Had my new Woody's wheels mounted at a local Cycle Shop that specializes in suspension mods. Mounted my new Shinkos backwards on the front rim AND pinched the tubeless liner. So dropped it off at the KTM dealer for new liner and threaded valve stem AND the tire to mounted correctly.

Worst part is I got the entire front wheel rotors and ABS ring swapped, rear wheel on, then lowered back only to find no air in the front tire. Needless to say my neighbors heard my complete library of profanity from my garage!!!

:dirtdog:baldy:baldy
  13. CaseyB

Oddometer:
    1.85 f, 2.5 r
    Nowwhat, nibby and BobcatSig like this.
  14. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    Nice. I also went 1.85" in the front. I have yet to replace the rear rim as it seems to be holding up to the abuse that the front can't take.
    CaseyB likes this.
  15. Fvalov

Fvalov n00b

Oddometer:
    Anyone lace up a set of Excel A60's for their 790? If so, how are you liking them?
  16. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I could see a 1.6 on the front but not sure about a 2.15 out back
  17. Stonehenge

Stonehenge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For rocky areas running moderate to higher speeds low 30's min psi. Chris Birch states in his 790 set up video he runs up to high 30's in rocky area's. If your a fast rider you sometimes just can not avoid hitting some rocks that will really ding your rims, thats why riders of the calibre of Lewis and Birch run higher pressures. I learn't my lesson on the ktm rally Tasmania where I had 4 front flats in 6 days and a mangled rim. I ran pressures from 26 to 32psi, and was told by many that was still to low for the riding we were doing. The trouble was trail variance. Sand to clay to rocky sections, trying to pick the perfect tyre pressure is a trade off.
    Venturer, BobcatSig and Flatroads like this.
  18. Fvalov

Fvalov n00b

Oddometer:
    The Powerpart rim is 2.5", I figured .35" isn't going to matter a whole lot. I'm good with giving up some street performance for the strength off-road.
  19. nibby

nibby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm running a 1.6 A60 up front with pp wheel on the back - All good. I wanted the strongest rim I could get on the front hence the A60, feels great in the dirt and no problems on the road.

I got this before the PP wheels were available though and when they did I then bought the rear DID

If doing it now I'd probably just go with the PP wheel front and rear. I really rate the DID wheels, never had any issues with them in the past on small and big bikes and have give them a good hammering.
    offworlder, CaseyB and Fvalov like this.
  20. Fvalov

Fvalov n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info! I'm trying to not shell out the extra $$$ for a second set of wheels. Good to know the pp wheels hold up to some abuse though.
    nibby likes this.