KTM 790 Adv tire and wheel thread.

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Jul 14, 2019.

1. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I could be talked into swinging by your place and spoon them on for you. :)

But wont be passing thru your neck of the woods for about 3 weeks. You'll have them half worn out by then, lol.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  2. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, it appears that the industry standard for a narrower width front rim that will sustain abuse from a big bike is the excel a60.
    According to excel’s site, it’s ok to re-use stock ktm spokes and nips on most of the lineup.
    There’s nothing yet about the 790 up, but I’m 85% certain it’ll work, after some light sniffing around the web.
    Rather than source a second set of wheels just now, I think It’s pretty feasible alternative.

Any naysayers out there want to say nay right off the bat??
  3. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Nay.
    chippertheripper likes this.
  4. chippertheripper

Oddometer:
    With a little more feeing, please!
  5. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
    NAAAAAAAAYYY!!!!!
    CaseyB and chippertheripper like this.
  6. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    I hope that is a possibility. It was going to be my go to transition...keep us in the loop @chippertheripper
    chippertheripper likes this.
  7. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A60s are beasts...

Are you concerned about a 1.6 rim on a bike this heavy when on the street? (Running curves)...

The SE runs a 1.85 with good results so I ordered a 1.85 excel.....
  8. chippertheripper

Oddometer:
    Not really. If anything, it’ll help keep things a little more legal. Instead of running curves, I’ll perhaps have to strap on the ankle weights and just power walk them, figuratively.
    I’ve run pretty hard on 606’s in a past life, so I know what the rubber is capable of (which is plenty), and this bike will end up with a tractionator adv to start, so I’ll have more rubber on the road up front until I wear that out and go from there.
    Truth be told, my on-road motorcycle habits are pretty tame these days anyways. Off-road too, I guess, but this thing is so capable I’m more apt to get carried away out in the woods.
    Nowwhat likes this.
  9. SteadyStare

SteadyStare Adventurer wannabe

Oddometer:
    Woody's wheel works recommend I switch to a 1.6 Excel A60 up front and a 2.25 (ish, can't remember the rear exactly) A60. For the 790 im not sure I want to give up that much road performance. You can also go with the Excel Takasago 7000 rims, which are the same aluminum as the A60 but not the same special shape that apparently adds even more strength. Honestly though, I think a 1.8 front and 3.5 rear would be a better compromise than going full up narrow A60's.
    Brilloman, Nowwhat and windblown101 like this.
  10. chippertheripper

Oddometer:
    There’s a good chance I put a 7k on the rear that’s a little wider. Spooning a 908 onto a dirtbike rim is a bitch, if my memory serves me correct. That, and there’s so much tire volume back there anyway that smashing a rim is far less likely under most “normal” circumstances.
    Nowwhat likes this.
  11. CSV

CSV n00b

Oddometer:
    Mitas e07's have changed and do not last as long now. E07 dakar were great but the e07+(new name) have removed the center bread which made them a great 70/70 long lasting touring tire. 70/70 because they were better than 50/50 in all conditions.
    P.s. I ride with 1.25" risers and have never felt unsafe.... I'm not taking my 990 on mx tracks though.....
  12. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Due to the amount of questions I get on tires via comments and email on the FAQ I wrote an entry about it. Where I specifically don't recommend anything but point to this thread instead.

You're welcome :)
    scfrank, ibgary and Oceandiving954 like this.
  13. Rharr

Rharr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Running a A60 1.6 front with tkc 80 and a 3.5" rear with a golden tire rally raid on my 990, I have been very happy with the set up for both dirt and street. The narrower rim make the big bike more nimble and have not noticed any downsides blasting turns on the asphalt. If the setup works well on the bigger 990 then i don't see why it would be bad on the smaller 790. I would would probably go 1.6 front and 2.5 rear on the 790. The big rims aren't doing anyone any favors, the fatter the rim the more easily it can bend and the tire floats on the dirt and can't cut down to traction.
  14. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Swapped my Dubya wheels take from my 1190 onto my 790. Talon hubs, 1.85 front and 3.50 rear Excel Takasago rims. Rode up in Squamish on them for the first time this weekend. Front tire was Pirelli Scorpion Rally aired up to 28 psi, rear is a Dunlop 908 Rally Raid at 25 psi. They did real well on the rocks climbing up to the top at Cat Lake. The next day we aired them down to 15 for some single track and then got off the single track back on to some rocky forest roads. I had to be real careful with line choice because I didn’t have anyway to air the back up but I felt the rim impact on a few rocks which would have easily dented a stock rim. Fortunately the wheels did not suffer any damage.

The 908 Rally Raid has a very stiff side wall which is great for rim protection but maybe not so great for traction. The Pirelli Scorpion Rally is the opposite. I wish I could find some tires that are in between the two for side wall stiffness. Maybe Dunlop 606s but they don’t make a 140 rear.
  15. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    or a hill climb up loose, wet baby heads on wet grit:muutt
  16. TarMack

TarMack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just rode Dirt Daze / Tour Tech rally in VT with Bridgestone Battle Axe AX41s. Much better than the Karoo 3s in New England conditions. Better braking power. Better traction up loose, wet hills. Better in the mud, but still not great. Skatey, if you know what i mean. I did put another ding in the front rim while running 30psi. I tried keeping it at 36, but it was slippery. I think the wide front rim widens the tire and makes it worse in the mud. Like a wide car tire in snow, it tends to float more instead of sinking in. I ordered an A60 1.6" front rim (with 3 year warranty from Amazon for an additional $30). Any sacrifice in road performance will be worth it if it keeps me off my head in the muddy, rocky conditions. I am expecting a noticeable improvement offroad.

Planning on trying Golden Tire front and Motoz Rally rear for next tire set, after talking to riders at Dirt Daze.
  17. TarMack

TarMack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know the trick of keeping air from leaking out spokes after tire change? Talked to Mike at the KTM truck at Dirt Daze and he said maybe needed a new rim band. I asked if they used any adhesive with it and he said maybe some special grease, so even he wasn't sure. Any ideas? I have tubes in both wheels now.
  18. chippertheripper

Oddometer:
    Gorilla tape.
    TarMack likes this.
  19. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's covered in the shop manual. There is a band inside the tire that probably moved when they mounted the tire. Shop manual is linked from the FAQ. Page 212 or the R manual. https://790adventure.net/models/documents-manuals-parts/
    chippertheripper and TarMack like this.
  20. TarMack

TarMack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gorilla tape in addition to the rim band, or in place of it?