KTM 790 Adv tire and wheel thread.

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Migolito, Jul 14, 2019.

1. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was mighty pleased with the 216 fatty on it's maiden voyage today. Put 200 miles on it. Rocks, mud, rocky stream crossings, and pavement. I don't think it will last long and I wouldn't choose it for a long trip (it's not designed for that regardless) but it's off road grip was impressive!

tire.jpg
  2. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, as an enduro tire they're awesome, I wasn't able to find any terrain they were terrible on when I was running them on my 350.
    windblown101 likes this.
  3. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:

So I think these fatty tires are a liability on big bikes bud.

Riding 3 weeks ago with an incredible rider...smooth..pinch flatted this tire.

Then this weekend another rider on same tire pinch flatted twice...

Worse part was how unstable the sidewall was after the tire blew out....

All on 790s
    windblown101 likes this.
  4. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    560 miles
    20210328_162120.jpg
    Dan D. likes this.
  5. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    My fatty put me down the road sliding on pavement this weekend. Obviously it's my own fault... But the sidewall just folded on a tight curve.

I still like them, and now know their breaking point. I knew I was pressing my luck. :D
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  6. BHoward

BHoward Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ride with a few very experienced riders, they have had numerous pinch flats on 80/90's and 90/90 tyres.
    The worst part was how flat the tyre was after it was flat.
    The low profile tyres are the worst, law suits waiting to happen.
  7. Motobillb

Motobillb NorCal Fastfar Riders (meetup.com)

Oddometer:
    I’ve had 3 MotoZ Tractionator Adventure rears and 2 Fronts. On my 790R - with the attendant right wrist spasms - I get ~4K miles on the rear. I could probably go 5-6k if the remaining miles were tarmac/easy dirt. I didn’t really like the front.. it was fine on tarmac but it seemed to drift a lot as soon as the surface got soft/loose. I’ve switched to the RallyZ front and feel much more comfortable with them.. no compromise on tarmac but like being on rails in the dirt. FWIW. YMMV.
    BHoward likes this.
  8. windblown101

Oddometer:
    I don't doubt it. They are designed for much lighter bikes, fun to play with though! It worked much better than I actually expected. I ran a full 32PSI all day on the front to firm up the tire and keep sidewall flex in check and still felt like it was flexing plenty. I doubt it would hold up long in a fast desert environment on a heavy bike, or even a light one.

I think I'll get 2-4 more full day primarily off pavement rides out of it which will be longer than the M21 I have on the back. It was new as well for this ride and will be toast in another ride or two at most, and wasn't all that impressive.

If I was doing a weekend "lets get wild and do really stupid stuff off-road" type event here in the east I'd have no issue with slapping a sacrificial 216 fatty on the front. Hell, stuff a mousse in there for something like that and call it good. It would be kind of pricey though.
    BHoward and Nowwhat like this.
  9. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    Yuck
  10. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    I’ve just done a 1000 mile trip with a first set of RallZ. Probably more unsealed/unformed roads than tarseal. Lots of rocky roads, some hard pack, some embedded rocks, but mostly loose from babyhead size down to fine gravel and powder sand. Also did quite a few miles of rocky stream beds, and countless stream crossings.

I thought on the dirt that the front was a bit too close-pattern compared to the grip from the rear, and lacking because of it, but that explains its excellent on-road manners. It’s more open than say a TKC-80 but nowhere near a Scorpion Rally - or the Motoz Desert HT which I love on my 640.

Wet grip seems ok, not tested yet on fast tarmac. Notwithstanding, so far pretty pleased with them. Yes they hum like crazy on the tarseal. Wear to be determined. Doing another 1000 mile trip at Easter but mostly on-road.

Big River, near Reefton, New Zealand:
    IMG_1117.jpg

Top of Maling Pass, off the Rainbow road New Zealand:
    IMG_1168.jpg

Palmer Stream, Clarence River Reserve, New Zealand:
    IMG_1227.jpg

Gore Stream, Clarence River Reserve, New Zealand:
    IMG_1230.jpg
  11. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great pics!
  12. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    sweet. I just ordered 2.
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  13. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    Put them on your new 500
  14. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    it’ll be another 300 when I buy a new dirtybike. I’m waiting for that front only abs to make the leap, now that tpi just feels like a Tuesday.
    Nowwhat likes this.
  15. windblown101

Oddometer:
    That lines up with my impressions as well. The Rallz gets a bit squirmy at times off pavement but hangs on pretty well and can last a very long time (like the H/T) if aired up well for the high speed pavement runs).

The H/T is a tough tire that tracks better at times offroad though is also seems more suspension sensitive. I found if the bike has a tendency to deflect in the rocks the H/T will amplify that considerably.

The Scorpion Rally was my go-to for a while due to it's off pavement performance and decent life span though the Rallz has largely replaced it for that due to it's longer range.

I'm still experimenting to find a new favorite for local hooning around while pretending to be on a dirt bike.
    bikemoto and BHoward like this.
  16. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    Take a look at the Sedona 208
    BHoward and windblown101 like this.
  17. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    What scenery!!!
    BHoward and Nowwhat like this.
  18. BobcatSig

BobcatSig Fresh Off The Couch Racing

Oddometer:
    Yah, watched that. It still doesn't solve my problem and while it might be splitting hairs, the idea of adventure seems to differ between riders. I know it does for me.

Good luck. I wouldn't. I run it on my Beta. And while I like it for single track, I'm leery of it on a 450 lb bike.

That's good that it's working for you with no wobble. That only befuddled me further. :D

No desire or need for a steering stabilizer. In fact, I'd rather no run one and I don't think it will handle this sort of low-frequency wobble while still remaining effective off-road. Besides, I need the tire to go at least 95 or so for passing situations. While my 790 is not pavement-first, it will see some tarmac as I get to the fun stuff. To keep it below interstate on the interstate isn't going to work, unfortunately. I don't need it to be a sportbike (I have that covered in spades), but I do need it to handle highway speeds without issue.
  19. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    The Scott’s does a good job. I am referring to the dirt version that only damps toward center. Their road version that damps in both directions would certainly be better on road, but as you noted, would be bad offroad
    BHoward likes this.
  20. BobcatSig

BobcatSig Fresh Off The Couch Racing

Oddometer:
    I'm familiar with both. I still do not prefer them, mainly for the added bar height, and for other reasons.