KTM 790 Adventure R - height

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by steph23, Nov 2, 2019.

1. steph23

steph23 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    Looking to buy this 790 Adventure R, I have a little concern about the height !! yes I am not a real tall guy 5,57ft (1.70m).
    I already had a discussion with my local KTM dealer and he can offer a lowering kit (spring) from KTM about 1 inch (3cm)
    Does anyone of you already made this changes ? Does this will change the behavior of the bike ?
    Looking for your comments...
    Steph23
  2. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi

I have a friend who is about your height and owns a 790.

He has had this bike like his other KTM's lowered.

To do it right does take $$.

He did the following

1 KTM lowering link

2 Full suspension rebuild to lower the suspension and adjust to his weight.

3 A new low saddle

His bike sits significantly lower than mine. It's still tall for him, but much better he has no complaints about the bikes handling.

Good luck

Scott
  3. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    I'm 177cm and going for +3cm suspension & tall seat. I think you'll be fine with stock or low seat - or some custom seat to narrow a bit for better ground reach with legs.
  4. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Counter intuitive, but I'd settle for lowering the suspension, and then getting the tall seat. The narrowness of that seat is almost a zero sum game and it's just a great seat; super comfy and feels much more enduroesque.

As for the anxiety of having to dab etc, I would encourage a rider to spend time in their garage in the winter doing this sort of exercise below. I used to do it on my 300, and it's fun to watch how the brain adapts, and the muscle memory begins to gel. Come next season, the bike won't feel tall...atoll.

* Straddle the bike (with what 'feels' like a bike too tall), kick up the side stand, and then stand up on the pegs balancing. There are 3 parts to that. The first is the easy part - standing and balancing initially. The second is harder - extending your 'air time', which involves better balance AND giving your brain time to realize it hasn't lost the battle and you need only stab the bike AWAY from the direction you feel you're about to fall. And the third part is key - become really good at recovering when all is lost. You must be able to drop your foot down perfectly to catch that weight before it goes over. Know where to drive that foot and know how to push the bike in the opposite direction at the right moment so the bike weight becomes neutral and you're safely dabbing. As this happens you'll want to slide your opposite thigh across the seat if the bike feels tall. That is key - it will be MUCH easier to dab if your thigh is over the seat, and you aren't trying to straddle the bike like a guy with a 34 inseam might.
  5. ZiggyInNc

ZiggyInNc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m in the same boat. I’ve test rode an S Model (with Rally mode and quixkshoftr enabled) and am comfortable and confident on that but it’s definetly at the higher end of what I’m comfortable with. Inhaven’t had a chance to sit on or test an R. I’m thinking the extra $1000 for the R is well worth it but need to sit on one (and hopefully ride it )first.

Sounds like that lowering kit would get it to the same height as the S?
  6. explodingmouse

explodingmouse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know the height difference of the r compared to a 640A ?
  7. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    kzeb likes this.
  8. jimbop

jimbop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I spent the day yesterday riding a 790R in stock trim. I rode highway, forest road, single track (green) lots of steep baby head climbs and was blown away by the bike. I have owned a WR250R (lowering link) a 690 (lowered internally the proper way) and now own a Husky FE350 also lowered internally. I'm 5'7" and 158lbs with a 30" inseam. I would say that the 790R lowered will be excellent. I would choose it over the S simply for the extra bang for the buck. As TT says practice your riding skills and you will get way more out of your riding.
  9. explodingmouse

explodingmouse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess I wasnt clear I kinda meant with the width of the 790r does it feel much lower than a 640A , Ive sat on a 640A but not a 790r.
  10. Snowq

Snowq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm with @TrailTrauma on this one, Counter intuitive for sure, but the tall seat makes it much easier to dab and plant your foot.
    I however would not lower the suspension, we get the R for the suspension...
    I was blessed with quite long legs, but on my previous 9fiddy SE I could just touch with my tippy-toes, or slide over to one side for a full foot plant.
    After a couple of hours riding I got used to it and would never lower it.
    The 790 feels tiny as soon as you've ridden it for a while.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  11. ZiggyInNc

ZiggyInNc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So you spent the day riding a stock (Unlowered) R? Just wondering, After a successful day riding it would you still want to lower it?
    trapperj likes this.
  12. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    I love watching Erzberg. Those guys in the boulder gardens kill me. Rarely a dropped bike at their level. Every move is calculated .. where the front tire lands, and where a foot dabs. Build some of that into your technique - as you ride rough stuff be vigilant for places which make stopping to recalculate or rest optimum - bike in relatively lower position than the ground around it. That way once you jet over to that spot and stop, there is no question whether you can comfortably dab or not. The opposite would be stopping on high ground and then being forced to either do the butt slide maneuver or teeter over in a thud. I think once you bring this into your scope of awareness on the trail, your worry of the bike being too tall will fade quickly.
    ramirin and chain like this.
  13. NHktmRider

NHktmRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 640 enduro is supposed to be about 2” taller than the 790 adv R (according to specs) but it feels about the same.

I do find that getting on the 790 is easier. I have to throw a leg foot first over the 640 and can go knee first over my 790R.
  14. FlyLow

FlyLow Just Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 30" inseam. Rented a 790R for two days. Rode 500 miles, 150 miles on dirt roads, no problems, loved it.
    However, when I get mine I WILL lower it minimum 2". I will do it "correctly" by matching it to my weight and riding style. I am done tip-toeing on dirt roads and trails.
    trapperj and ZiggyInNc like this.
  15. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    As I have done before in other threads, I should mention that there is a fellow inmate here who had a boot cobbler fashion him some awesome custom riding boot soles. He loves them. I forget how much height they built into them, but it solved his 'too tall a bike' issues. Just another way to skin this cat...
    trapperj, ZiggyInNc and PerGrus like this.
  16. jimbop

jimbop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I would but by suspension pros. I had my 690 lowered and my FE 350 lowered. I’m small and light ( not fly weight but definitely lighter then what stock bikes are set up for) I felt way more comfortable riding both bikes once they were properly lowered and set up for my weight. It’s all very personal so you have to do what you feel right about. I just enjoy riding more when I can get my feet on the ground easily. I don’t enjoy tip toeing around in any situation. LOL.
    ZiggyInNc likes this.
  17. Sethro303

Sethro303 Master of Disaster

Oddometer:
  18. Jimbobvfr

Jimbobvfr Jimbob

Oddometer:
    I have the 35mm on my '17 800 GSA. The rear is much bouncier. It starts out high, but settles down, and doesn't bottom out. I thought it might be bouncy on the topside, but no problems. Worth it!
  19. Sethro303

Sethro303 Master of Disaster

Oddometer:
    So do you think the progressive on the rear makes it more bouncy feeling while riding?
  20. Jimbobvfr

Jimbobvfr Jimbob

Oddometer:
    I was concerned that the part of the rebound, after the return to normal (that extra sag you get when you sit down) might be too soft, or provide a lack of control. That was easily dialed out with a bit of preload. At stop, you can also add luggage or an extra 'passenger' by clicking on the helmet feature on the dash(load adjustment). Works fine, not like a pogo stick.