KTM 790 Adventure R - height

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by steph23, Nov 2, 2019.

1. MadMike83

MadMike83 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think you dont have to change rear spring when you want lower it few cm. The shock absorber changes few mm.
  2. Jimbobvfr

Jimbobvfr Jimbob

Oddometer:
    MM, it was too tall. I bought the 35mm lowering kit from TouraTech. Works for me. A few mm wasn't going to do it.
    I would rather have the GSA, but I got such a good deal on the GSA with all the farkles that I knew I would work it out with suspension.
  3. ZiggyInNc

ZiggyInNc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a though - i am a little less than 5 foot 10 inches tall with a 29 inches inseam and just brought home a 2020 790r. While I can’t get both feet down on the ground when on the seat, I’m finding it pretty easy to balance and handle with just one foot flat in the ground. I thought I was going to get a low seat or maybe even get it lowered but now I’m thinking I may be quite confident and comfortable leaving it stock.
    ramirin, Seferus, Venturer and 2 others like this.
  4. Seferus

Seferus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any ride update? Im 29 inseam too. Imma get the r version too. Sooo excited.
  5. ZiggyInNc

ZiggyInNc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes - after 600 plus miles over the past week and a half I’m going to keep it as is. I can get the balls of one foot down at a stoplight if I keep the bike totally upright and if I lean it over just a touch I can flat foot it on that same side with one foot. The bikes very well balanced and with the weight low I don’t feel at all unsteady!
    Seferus and Jimbobvfr like this.
  6. Sethro303

Sethro303 Master of Disaster

Oddometer:
    Just picked up my R late yesterday. With temps hovering around 36F, I only got about 45 miles on it but it seems as though my initial concerns about the height are unfounded.
    After setting sag and getting it dialed in, looks like a low seat may be all that’s needed to get just a little more foot on the ground.
  7. truckergemi

truckergemi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone else have the sag be less then recommended even after adjusting the preload as much as possible? Am I doing something wrong?
  8. Seferus

Seferus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow. i'll just learn to ride it like you did. Thanks :)
    ZiggyInNc likes this.
  9. Scourge

Scourge Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I finally got to try one on for size today. I couldn't adjust it on the showroom floor and the sales guy was more interested in talking to people looking at side-by-sides so I couldn't get his attention to ask things (I actually walked out without speaking to anyone after 45min).

But... back on topic: Do they come out of the crate with the preload jacked all the way up? It was tall, certainly, but it also seemed really stiff. I'm 180lbs and it barely moved when I hopped on. I'm 5'9" w/ 30" inseam and it was just on the long end of manageable. I presume if I set the sag correctly it would drop an inch or so and/or give a bit with my weight on it making the height a non-issue.
  10. Toddv

Toddv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea the rear was set pretty tight on mine, the front came on the softest preload setting. Mine was stiff like that when I rode it home but after I backed the rear preload down to set sag and got some miles on it it softened up a noticeable amount and squishes down a lot more when I sit on it now. At 160 I have the rear preload backed almost all the way out for the sag to be right.