1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

KTM 790 Adventure R - height

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by steph23, Nov 2, 2019.

1. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Now put your MX boots on and try that. Without much flex at the ankles all that toe touching might go out the window. I figure anything I feel in sneakers will seem like the bike is 1-2" taller once I'm in my riding gear. (boots, but riding pants can also impact)
  2. Billyj7175

Billyj7175 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another point to add for prospective buyers of the Seat Concepts Seats, are the covers are made of a pretty grippy material. Sliding off to dab isn't near as easy as the stock seat.
  3. Waffletalk

Waffletalk n00b

Oddometer:
    As a side note... is your other bike a ninja 250? Because I own a KTM 790 and a green ninja 250 as well!
    C4 Trousers likes this.
  4. C4 Trousers

C4 Trousers Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ninja 400 :beer
  5. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    This has a bigger impact that one might think, and as sexy as 'gripper' sounds, I too have found it to be counter productive at times. You go to dab, but the seat grabs your riding pants, and at a certain point you run out of slack in that pant leg and then the bike starts to keel over. Bigger inseam, less drama but for guys with a shorter inseam I'd say think twice. The PP tall seat seems to be a nice material. A bit of texture, and not slippery but not extremely grippy either. Goldilocks perfect..
    michaeldorian likes this.
  6. Vargubau

Vargubau Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unless one pays $2600 less, like I did. Ordered R suspension from Konflict last week.
    BHoward likes this.
  7. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is absolutely the way to go, especially if you want a shortened bike. The "starting points" I was referring to are the respective model's stock suspension. What is the Konflict price for a tuned up WP Xplor from an R?
  8. michaeldorian

michaeldorian Adventurer

Oddometer:

*Oops. Just saw your post. NVM*

Let me know how the SC seat does for getting some more toes on the ground.
  9. michaeldorian

michaeldorian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is a fine route to go if you already for the S. Check out the S suspension thread. But rebuilding the R suspension will put it to the next level. You can get the S to R-ish level with a good tuner, but then that same tuner will be the R world class suspension wise.
  10. michaeldorian

michaeldorian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting that. I have the KTM PP low seat with the bike straight up like how you have it and I’m about an inch or so from getting my toes to touch the ground. They are floating. Was thinking the SC seat + while I’m in there getting the suspension custom valved for me, knock 25mm off and I’ll be like you in the photo with the stock R seat.

I’m really contemplating taking the 25mm off though. It would just take the edge off in those sketchy situations, but you lose the suspension travel the R is known for and you would have to go with a stiffer setup when lowering.
  11. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For entertainment purposes...

I have a 30” inseam and swapped the stock R seat for the PP tall seat.

[​IMG]

Fortunately, it only takes one foot down to hold the bike up.

[​IMG]
  12. Vargubau

Oddometer:
    I don't think it would be fair to @Konflict to discuss his prices. You could contact them directly here or on FB groups.
  13. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    On the contrary. In a free market economy, if a vendor provides a good value offering in a competitive field, then I don't think its fair NOT to discuss the value of said services, including price, if you are a satisfied customer. They call that "word of mouth" advertising, and many a successful business is based on it.
    shooter_t1 and comradecasey like this.
  14. Vargubau

Oddometer:
    I agree with Your premise in general, but the personalized servise provided to me might differ for someone else and thus the price difference might be upsetting, so I rather not.
    kubcat likes this.
  15. DocGear

DocGear n00b

Oddometer:
    Has anybody installed the Touratech lowering springs for the 790 adv R ??..... And what do you think of them?
  16. Billyj7175

Oddometer:
    As I get more comfortable with this bike in the dirt, the faster I'm going; the more I'm standing. The SC "comfort" seat is widened slightly where you sit which makes for a more comfortable saddle for long highway stretches. However, that wide spot hits me right in my knees when standing, which forces me to slightly splay my knees outward. Not exactly what you want and not at all comfortable when you're standing up all the time. I'm actually gonna take my stock seat to an upholstery place and have them slightly reshape it for those short/dirt days.
    I'm 5'9" with bad knees, so unfortunately the PP tall seat is a nogo.
  17. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Might not want to dismiss the PP tall just yet. A few other's your height (but what's your inseam) are riding with one, and are doing fine. It's nearly a zero sum because even though the tall seat gets a smidge taller, it also get's narrower. It's not so much the height with the KTM adv seats, but the width. They push your leg out like you're riding a horse, effectively making your inseam lose length.

*Bonus. If you haven't touched the suspension and are a bit porky then cranking the preload helps as well. :)
    Billyj7175 likes this.
  18. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1.

I’m 5’8 with a 30” inseam and run the PP tall seat. The increased height and decreased width split the difference, so the PP seat requires about the same reach as stock.
    Billyj7175 likes this.
  19. WI-790R

WI-790R Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I did about two weeks ago now. I improvised a rear shock spring compressor using a hole saw on a chunk of 3/4” plywood. Used two pieces of 3/8” threaded rod with a washer welded on one end of each. Stuck a bolt through one washer, the upper shock eyelet, and the other washer. Rods stick through plywood, thread nuts down to compress spring, etc. I used some rubber hose around the threaded rod to prevent the spring’s powdercoat from damage. It worked out very well.

The reduction in height made enough difference for me that I now feel comfortable with my wife on the back at stop signs and such. I swear the ride feels more compliant than stock, with the same nominal fork & shock compression and rebound settings. I used the supplied fork seal grease, which did reduce stiction a noticeable amount. So maybe part of what I feel as improvement in ride is simply due to that(?).

With the fork and shock spring preload set to minimum, the bike has a nice low-effort neutral cornering feel. So I am happy with the resulting geometry. That cornering feel doesn’t change enough when my wife rides on the back, that I have not bothered to turn in a little preload (in the back when she rides). I used the supplied 7.5wt fork oil. Overall, I am very happy with it and would do it again.

On my 500EXC-F I used the Zeta Racing brand fork and shock spacers (much less $ than the springs). I could see by the 790R’s shock design, the preload mechanism specifically, that a spacer wouldn’t work very well in the rear. There’s no way to back off the preload like the threaded EXC shock. And I had read that although the forks are Xplor48, that the spacers for the EXC wouldn’t work for the front. So I sprung for the -30mm progressive spring kit.
  20. Billyj7175

Oddometer:
    Sold...

Why is it the more I log onto this damn forum, the more $$$ I spend...lol

I'm maybe 180lbs with gear? I have the suspension set to the comfort settings. The bike has definitely sagged a tad since new though.

That is good to know and probably not a bad option as I can probably flip it if it don't work out.

Any insight on where is a good place to get one from? I see most places are listed as $179.99 (US).