KTM 790 Adventure / R owners, show yours!

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by a.c.e., Apr 17, 2019.

1. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I take delivery Friday, so I haven't really dug into anything yet. I'm inclined to fill the gap that I did see when I looked at my bike yesterday, and pushed in at the top aspect of the tank guards. I figure some peel-off sticky foam strips could be adhered to the inside of the guards to allow crap to slide off and down around the sides at least for now.

Beyond that I'm not a big fan of CF. I've got a pipe guard for my 2 stroke and the few times it's gone down it's abraded the hell out of it and all thats left in a 5 sq in area is fibre. I'd rather bash, and skid off the OEM guards and just replace as needed.

I'm waiting for an integrated skid plate/tank guard setup made out of HDPE or something similar like polypropylene with a UV stabilizer so it's strong, dense, has some give, and doesn't fade and look like crap in a yr or 2.

Mounting points are also crucial to the design.
    braaap! and windblown101 like this.
  2. aage

aage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the idea of a bolt on carbon kevlar plate, should be simple and effective solution.
  3. Chrisbarnes1

Chrisbarnes1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The pipe guard has obviously done its job then!!---in fact carbon is NOT good in an abrasion situation--hence I ALWAYS put kevlar underneath--but people like the carbon look--kevlar is yellow, or yellow, or even yellow--it doesn't take any dye! Such parts are designed to be sacrificial and prevent a much more costly replacement. I have made several bashplates in carbon and kevlar--see www.kodamacomposites.co.uk --all thoroughly tested--they do flex to a point and can be custom shaped rather than made out out of flat sheets bonded or welded together. You mention fading--typically this is a lacquer coating--I start with a gel in the lay up--and then parts are polished, not lacquered--for just that reason. However, if you scratch the part up then a quick spray of acrylic does really freshen them up--its protection, not simply bling. On the tank protection the plastics are about $40 which is cheap enough--but how much they will take has yet to be really tested?-although KTM are confident---underneath is a complex $1400 tank--the "extra" covers just give you that bit more to wear through. On the bashplate the 790 is particularly difficult to replicate because it acts as an attachment for the tank protection. I agree on HDPE being a good material (remember that carbon is simply a reinforcement in a polyester or epoxy plastic resin)--and honestly KTM should have injection moulded the OE from the start--it works on their enduro bikes! However, we are where we are--and I'm simply testing the water to see if a straightforward add on in carbon and kevlar, beefing up the stock plate, would at least reduce the risk of casting damage--there is no frame under there!
    The_Eccentric likes this.
  4. PFSGATORS

PFSGATORS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ride! likes this.
  5. Ride!

Ride! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hahha. What fun is THAT?!
    PFSGATORS and Allucaneat like this.
  6. Endurance1986

Endurance1986 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Picked mine up today!

AD0A2C2A-BA7E-47F8-AAB9-2DB42F11073B.jpeg
  7. tshansen

tshansen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That smile :-D
  8. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well we are all big kids with a new toy...
    TrailTrauma and tshansen like this.
  9. tshansen

tshansen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. hgwilliam

hgwilliam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Out with the old and in with the new!

IMG_1023.jpg

IMG_1043.jpg

Long post warning!! I’ve been fortunate to have quite a few bikes, I have to say this is outmost my favourite bike. I honestly cannot get over what KTM has done here. The power feels better than the R1200GSA, the bike is so well balanced and feels exceptionally light. The mileage is brilliant 3.8L/100km. I cannot wait to put a rally fairing on this bike then begin farkling over the next few years. This is the first bike I’d rather get a second set of wheels, put 90/10 road on them VS buying a street oriented bike.

I find a lot of press doesn’t necessarily put down the S version, but claims it’s a road bike with occasional gravel. I’ll be very comfortable taking this bike down ATV and two track trails. Whatever a DR650 or 400 will approach, this bike can handle without a doubt.

For those trading in or still waiting and nervous about this bike, I couldn’t speak highly enough about. I do have two things I really dislike though, 1) the windshield creates the worst buffer, going to order the R screen tomorrow (I’m 5’11 and a 31” seam). And the 2) the foot pegs are to high for me. I feel cramped and need to lower the pegs. Seats already at High, so I need to move the foot pegs a bit.

This is the first bike I honestly know I’ll do everything with, and be happy doing it! In the future I’ve already thought of suspension upgrade, but I’m going to find “the limit” (if possible) first. I noticed today this suspension is the same as the 690 a couple of years ago. Bloody brilliant, and I’m a man of little exaggeration. I had a 3.5hr drive home from the dealer, highway, curves, city, dirt roads, and trails tomorrow. God I love this bike, the first bike I’ve wanted to nickname as it will be my partner in crime
  11. dirty_sanchez

dirty_sanchez Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer:
    3.8L/100km is about 68 mpg's for those of you in Rio Linda-which is pretty darned impressive!
  12. Gaulin

Gaulin Orange (& Blue) Crush

Oddometer:
    Got mine yesterday !
    This bike is brilliant.

20190621_160817.jpg
  13. NomorBills

NomorBills WesternExplorer

Oddometer:
    Chandler, AZ & Summer in the Pines, Pine, AZ
    Picking an R up Monday. been waiting a long time. Looking forward to setting it up and seeing what all is out there
    tshansen likes this.
  14. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cut off the little tab you're supposed to use to lower the side stand. It helps some. I had big problems during the Ultimate Race until the sidestands were disabled because I was riding with a weird trials foot position for a bit. The more accomplished and faster riders were riding on the arches of their feet and using knees and hips for control instead and had no complaints.
    The_Eccentric, Hico and TrailTrauma like this.
  15. Endurance1986

Endurance1986 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And of course I had to get the one with issues. Any ideas?

IMG_20190622_133732.jpg
  16. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:

For several owners this is the result of the factory chain lube melting out...contact cleaner the area and it should stop
    Oceandiving954, Venturer and elron like this.
  17. Endurance1986

Endurance1986 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I wiped everything off and will report back tomorrow. It's too hot to ride more today.
    dewaynehasty likes this.
  18. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had same weep... countershaft seal and o-ring replaced under warranty... will see if it was just that.
  19. trailrider77

trailrider77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    790’s are in Austin. 1st thing I did was pull in the clutch (cable) to see how easy it is. Pretty hard clutch pull as compared to hydraulic clutch on my 1090r and 500. Maybe it lightens up once the engine warms. Looking forward to a future demo ride.
    08StangGT_CS likes this.
  20. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another one finds it's way home...

Picked it up last night. Dealer's new laptop couldn't be logged into, so they activated it with the previous version, which cannot add the quickshifter+. I'll go back at 600miles and get the qs, cc, heated grips added. Dealer said they would honor the $500 VIP credit I got for sponsoring BDR at that time.

She rides very nicely, very smooth no vibes. Coming from a top heavy adv-ized wee-strom and a 350 EXC-F.

Wee is gone, keeping the 350. Seems like that covers most of the bases. Once the sumo wheel set for the 350 is added, I think that should be good for a while. Farkles and tire experiments will still continue, of course. 20190621_192404.jpg
    06Z, gulfcoaster, Fabricator and 2 others like this.