KTM 790 Adventure / R owners, show yours!

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by a.c.e., Apr 17, 2019.

1. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    More rock crushing in Utah!

loanster, Villy, psyco and 9 others like this.
  2. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice work, and not even in rally mode! Hard to see - what settings are you riding (throttle response/ABS) in those uphill rocks?

I love the 1,2 punch your GPS mount gets at 1:37 ;)
  3. Camel ADV

Oddometer:
    IMO, the Rally throttle setting is too punchy for technical riding. I did this trail in Offroad mode, the throttle is much tamer. I didn't realize at the time that I could have Rally TC and a different throttle setting. I rode similar terrain this weekend and used Offroad throttle and Rally TC between 7-9, it worked really well. I often forget to switch ABS off so it's usually still in Road.
    Fabricator, Brilloman and TrailTrauma like this.
  4. reg71

reg71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just picked mine up last week and went camping this weekend. Good bike. I like it. It does everything my f800GS does, but better.

camp1.png
    Somewhere between Jones and Icehouse Resevoirs.
    2019-08-19 13_18_41-Reggie Ahlfield.png
    Lake Tahoe
    2019-08-19 13_18_55-Reggie Ahlfield.png
    American River on Hwy 50 heading to Tahoe.
    path downhill.png
    Singletrack downhill just off 20 near Washington, CA. I think it was Omega something trail.
  5. Camel ADV

Oddometer:
    Did some amazing riding in BC this weekend. Competed at the WANDR navigation event near Invermere. Kick ass terrain and stellar views in the Rocky Mountain Trench.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  6. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    Stellar views indeed!

*Do you know if those HDB guard stays are the longer ones? Did you buy them new or transfer them off another bike? I mocked mine up that I took off my 300 but I think the aluminum bracing is too short. I heard Paul has longer ones, which I may have to get unless you found a work-a-round with the regular length.
  7. Camel ADV

Oddometer:
    I bought them for my 1190R in 2014. They bolted right up to the 790.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  8. edgy

edgy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took delivery last week and had the 1st ride in the mountains near me on Sunday...we gonna gel just fine!

Attached Files:

9. vt wingman

vt wingman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Impressive riding skill, hats off to you sir! Momentum is definitely your friend! I rode a 790R at Dirt Daze, I want one!
    Camel ADV likes this.
  10. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with you that Rally mode is way too jerky in the technical stuff. I like Off-road and Rally TC in the 3-6 range
  11. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I concur.
    The smoother one can be with their inputs, and keeping the bike hooked up, the faster you can go.
    Fabricator and Camel ADV like this.
  12. Camel ADV

Oddometer:
    The combination of lighter weight and excellent bottoming resistance in the suspension makes it possible to ride faster in very rocky terrain than I have with other ADV bikes.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  13. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    I think this is where I'm being Stubborn. I just can't get myself to leave rally ThR. The rough stuff, especially going uphill tends to expose the ugly under belly of my weaknesses in technique. Any spastic throttle input can always be tracked back to a variety of these factors, and not actually the rally throttle response:

* not being in a neutral position when standing.
    * not gripping the seat adequately.
    * boots too far inboard, losing peg leverage.
    * not exploiting the screw driver hand position.
    * elbows not up for leverage on the bars.
    * not looking way up the trail, where I plan to head.
    * holding on too tight.
    * fear... See above. lol

Probably more, but those are always on my 'to purge' list every ride out. I'm getting there little by little.
  14. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    It’s a process, man. A lifelong process.

Fortunately for you (all of us), the electronic rider aids on this bike are actually really good, and can make up for lots of different shortcomings in technique, if you allow them.
    My absolute most enlightening thing hopping on this is the off-road abs option. Now I can grab a fistful of front brake at will and let the bike threshold brake for me, and do it way better than I (or any human) could ever do.
    It’s a real game changer. And as soon as they go and put it on a 300/350, I’ll buy another dirtbike, I’m sure.
    Again, that right there is a game changer.
  15. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    I think about that front abs every ride out. It's a game changer for sure.

Note to self: Dont jump on my buddy's 250 and go ripping down the trail. LOL
    chippertheripper likes this.
  16. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with the above but think about it this way that Rally mode for 3rd gear and above, Off-road mode for 1-2. All of those factors you mention are important but probably apply less to low speed riding than they do to going fast.
    Oceandiving954 likes this.
  17. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    Really? I see the last 6 qualifying for me at low speeds.

I think the screw driver (throttle) hand position is pretty key to smooth, slow (Rally ThR) input. On as well as coming off the throttle quickly has to become smooth by second nature, and I found if I was thinking about 'twisting' either on or off I was doomed to disappointment in my lack of control. But once I simply began operating the throttle by trying to flex and kind of 'pinch' my thumb up towards my brake lever to the right of my index finger (covering the brake) my inputs became much, much smoother. It's important to 'anchor' the palm of your throttle hand against the grip, assume the screw driver hand position, and then operate the throttle by hand flexing/pinching up with the thumb, rather than twisting freely.

The palm anchoring, screw driver position and flex-pinching are all designed to move my right hand away from any direct twisting action, and they provide stability. The hand flex-pinching method I seem to have come up with builds a sort of resistance into the system. It's almost like if I asked you to hover your arm and hand above a piece of paper and paint a perfect 2" diameter circle, and then asked you to anchor your arm and the pad of your hand on the table and try again. Which do you think would be painted with more motor control?

Sorry for being long winded. Hard to explain. The flexing of the hand is what indirectly twists the throttle.

Here's a reeeeally quick video .. flex-pinching versus full on twisting:

18. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    When are you "gripping the seat?"... whoops....doubles?.....hahaha

this type of riding you need those knees open so you can push the bike around and still be over the bike...

Watch your boy....he will push one knee against the bike to get his body position right...but he is as bowlegged as my mom after a long weekend in Vegas....
    psyco, Fabricator and macaw1us like this.
  19. Teufel Hunden

Teufel Hunden Cannon Cocker

Oddometer:
    Can I get some feedback on how difficult the 790 is to pick up off the ground? Debating getting rid of the 1290 SAR and getting a 790. The dry weight difference is only 61lbs, but I know the 790 carries it's weight differently.
  20. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    What kind of suspension does yo Momma run? She must be a progressive slot ;)

Copy on the loose knees. I tend to grip the seat for spans when the terrain goes uphill, if as you point out, I don't need the bike moving under me. I do so to take the load off the connective tissues in my arms. So rather than being pulled along by my arms, I transition to moving my feet out a bit and biting into the seat with my knees until I can get into a more neutral body position where my arms aren't being yanked out and then everything loosens up again in vegas. ;)
    Nowwhat likes this.