KTM 790 Adventure / R owners, show yours!

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by a.c.e., Apr 17, 2019.

1. Gibber

Gibber Lonely road rider

Oddometer:
    I think you will like the Mosko setup. Their gear is well thought out.
    To be honest I upgraded my mirrors mostly about looks. Round mirrors on such an angular bike just seems off. I do like them though and know they will be durable when the inevitable fall happens.
    The stock seat was also my biggest issue with the 790. I don’t have a lot of miles on the new seat but think it will be a definite improvement in comfort.
  2. Pitster

Pitster miniac

Oddometer:
    I never thought I could replace the Super enduro but the sexy new 790r is trying hard!

Black dog skid plate, wings exhaust, double take mirrors, rekluse, motoz, woodys wheels.

Attached Files:

Nowwhat, Toddv, DirtyDaveMO and 5 others like this.
  3. ianblomeyer

ianblomeyer ianblomeyer

Oddometer:
    Had a small tumble. Crushed my foot. IMG-20191006-WA0011.jpg
  4. ianblomeyer

ianblomeyer ianblomeyer

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

TrailTrauma likes this.
  5. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oof. Doin’ it good.
  6. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ouch. I admire your tenacity! I have three words of unsolicited advice though...

Eject, eject, eject!
    Nowwhat, Venturer and SoilSampleDave like this.
  7. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Ouch. I’m afraid something like that will happen to me when I choose my lighter dual sport boots versus my moto boots.
  8. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So...I have to ask...why get lighter boots for offroad adv riding than you use for moto? About the same speeds, arguably more hard objects (rocks/trees), heavier bikes? That just doesn't make sense. I was concerned about all day comfort using moto-level protection, but on the pegs they are probably more comfy than lighter boots, due to the more stable/stiff sole and shank while standing on those metal teeth for hours a day. Those few times I am off the bike during the ride, I can live with the awkwardness of hobbling around, like at the gas station getting gatorade and ice cream when I stop for gas. At the campsite, I have some lightweight camp shoes to change into anyway.

I have TCP Hero WP for commuting, and they have saved my ankles on more than one occasion of low side slides - very good boots for exactly that situation IMO. In my first year that's what I wore on my ADV rides. After a few get-offs on the trail, even though the malleolus/heel/toe protection on the TCP worked well, there have been too many close calls. I don't want to end up with a missing toenail and broken toe like that guy in the Oregon SAR story.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-big-empty-bites-er-abandoned-bikes-search-rescue-chopper.1409804/

Now my go to boots are Sidi Crossfires, and I find them to be very comfy. I might use the Sidi Adventures when I know its gonna be raining a lot and I have many highway miles to get done, but I will never go back to a "light" boot like the TCPs for ADV riding.
    ramirin likes this.
  9. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    To be clear, I’m talking about the super sexy and comfortable Gaerne Balance oiled leather boots. It’s almost a crime to leave them in the garage. I try to only use them when going on rides that are primarily dirt roads versus any real offroad. But you never know when you see something interesting and things get gnarly.
  10. new2adv

new2adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I learned my lesson the hard way... broke my fibula wearing a pair of inadequate dual sport boots, right at the start of the riding season. $500 for a pair of Gaerne SG-12's suddenly seemed pretty cheap after that. The dual sport boots are now relegated to riding around town and mowing the lawn.
    ramirin, Nowwhat, kzeb and 2 others like this.
  11. Gaulin

Gaulin Orange (& Blue) Crush

Oddometer:
    You answer your own question at the end of your post :)

Multi day/week adventure rides where rain is a reality drives me to pick a waterproof solution - Sidi Adventures over offroad boots. Yes, there's solutions to provide a waterproof solution to any boot, goretex socks etc., but when it's been raining for a week straight, that gets old.
  12. ianblomeyer

ianblomeyer ianblomeyer

Oddometer:
    I have just purchased a pair of Tech 7 boots after this little mishap. So the adventure boots have been tossed out.
  13. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your accident. I think you'll be pleased with the Tech-7's. Got a pair in '13 and still ride with them. Very comfy, and no real complaints. Although it would be nice to have a waterproof boot for scouting ahead, and fording deeper puddles etc My next pair will be Sidi's or the SG-12's.
  14. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Was wearing Sidi Crossfires when I hit a deer this summer on the 990. Deer bought it. I escaped with a bruised toe.
    kubcat likes this.
  15. sideup

sideup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And a shoutout to @theantipaul (Paul at Highway Dirt Bikes) whose Ultimate handguards and flip out mirrors never moved an inch, except for the mirrors which easily flexed and rotated out of harms way. Awesome equipment! Perfect fit on the 790 ADV.

TT, I thought I read in FAQ than the HDB handguards wouldn't work due to hitting the TFT screen. How did you attach the inner piece, with a swivel mounts or to the handlebar clamp?
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  16. sideup

sideup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife has a 790S, I just sold my 1090R and am on the waiting list for 790R. After riding her 790 I just loved how small it feels, even smaller than my 690. I imagine the 690 will go next but just waiting to see how well the 790R will do in the tougher sections.
  17. spartanman

Oddometer:
    They fit if you use taller risers. I installed +25 mm. Otherwise the mounting bolts hit the damper adjusters on top the forks. Also, the front brake banjo fitting is close to the support bracket but okay. Yes, the bars go lock to lock without hitting the TFT. Great piece of kit.

Attached Files:

18. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    I have photos somewhere; one second. All I had to do was order the longer aluminum pieces versus the shorter ones I had that worked on my 300xc. I used only the hardware Paul provided and it fit perfectly. No risers, and no extraneous hardware needed. I eventually rotated the brake line a bit so it slips slightly below the medial end of the aluminum stay. It actually works better than when they were on my 300. Maybe I tightened the mirrors more sufficiently, but they NEVER move unless I drop the bike ha. I thought I might miss regular mirrors, particularly in traffic but they are unreal. No worries atoll. Love, love the setup!

EDIT: **Of note is the fact that I have my bars set as close to me as they'll go, and at full lock either direction I see 1cm between the aluminum piece and the TFT. This winter I may try returning to the centre/OEM mounting point to see if they will hit the screen.

20190919_181115.jpg 20190919_181147.jpg 20190919_181347.jpg 20190921_171345.jpg 20190921_172540.jpg
  19. spartanman

Oddometer:
    ^^You need taller risers if you don't use the HDB middle top clamp. I didn't use it, just the stock riser clamps.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  20. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    I suppose you mean lower when say smaller? 690 feels like cheating when going into tougher terrain with a group of big adv bikes and vice versa when others have excs..