KTM 790 Adventure / R owners, show yours!

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by a.c.e., Apr 17, 2019.

1. dewaynehasty

dewaynehasty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I picked up my 790R yesterday! I haven't ridden it yet though. Let the fun begin :)
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  2. Oceandiving954

Oceandiving954 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Dewayne!
    Congrats , i picked mine up last week...I still owe you gas money from an event you helped me out at...
    Best,
    Scotty in Florida...
  3. dewaynehasty

dewaynehasty Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Wow so you bought a 790 as well! Very cool! Until we meet again :)
    Oceandiving954 likes this.
  4. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Having lunch at Eastbound Bar and Grill in Lakeside, CA. Seems this 790 thing is getting out of hand.:1drink
    [​IMG]
    ThirtyOne, The_Eccentric, 06Z and 7 others like this.
  5. daleo22

daleo22 n00b

Oddometer:
  6. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Testing out the Motoz RallZ tires a bit while still (very) slowly sneaking up where the line is on this bike with me at the helm. It hasn't given me any reason to doubt I could be hitting things much harder than I have without it biting me in the ass. ;)

Maybe some singletrack next time, of maybe just actually send it up and off some ledges rather than roll them... LOL.
  7. odontek

odontek Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had some misgivings about the bike as I rode home with it, still had doubts it was the bike I had hoped it would be the next day after a short ride. It was more comfy and smoother on the street than my 690 enduro but not as comfy or smooth as my 800XC by a fair margin.

Then I took it on some local forest roads/tracks and did a couple longer pavement runs with it and those doubts faded away. It has the right mix of compromises to suit me. It's almost like KTM read my damn mind! Lol.

Is it perfect? Well, no.

I dont care for the tank design from an ease of maintenance/cleaning the bike standpoint. It does work great down low where it is though.

Still dislike the headlight design.

Wind management is off for my height a little.

YMMV. No bike is the right bike for everyone.
    The_Eccentric and dewaynehasty like this.
  9. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    ^^Thanks for the overview. I test rode one about a month ago and loved it. I'm coming off a 990 R, which is also a great bike.
  10. Ride!

Ride! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    68B227A9-D906-4E1A-BC68-0F964B9AC54F.jpeg A39DD47B-B62B-4509-81C2-17F8424FDB3C.jpeg
    Gettin our GA Erzberg on....
  11. Mike in Roswell

Mike in Roswell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting. So I also have the 690 Enduro, the new one, and I also wasn’t that impressed after my first ride or two. What I am learning, at least for me, is that rally mode is where I will spend most of my time, both on and Offroad. It gives the bike the best kick for road riding and I can set traction control on nine and ABS on the road and feel like I have the electronic aids to help In a tight situation. The bike is much more fun to ride on the road in this mode with the lively throttle response. I found it pretty bland in the road mode, especially trying to respect breakin revs. On the other hand for off-road I find rally throttle response a little twitchy. On the other hand for off-road I find rally throttle response a little twitchy. So for loose gravel fire roads I have been using rally mode, but with off-road throttle response and off-road ABS. I put traction control around six and that combination still allows me to slide the rear wheel around corners and have fun. I am not an overly adventurous rider, not overly experienced, no better than average at best. But this is what I have found works for me so far. Anyone else have any comments about the way they are using the ride modes?
  12. Noneking

Noneking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Dale,

Did mine with a company here in South Africa. Sure any company that does sticker kits for mx/enduro bikes should be able to help?
    daleo22 likes this.
  13. Hico

Hico n00b

Oddometer:
    790’s hit north Texas. Took it for a test ride. Any owners feel the kickstand under your left foot when riding?

Attached Files:

gearheadE30 and tshansen like this.
  14. tshansen

tshansen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, i touch IT with my heel sometimes
  15. tshansen

tshansen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can adjust your throttle control in rally mode offroad/onroad.
    I can’t get used to the rally throttle respons! Way to yerking
  16. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist

Oddometer:
    20190615_115701.jpg

OZ Capital Territory

20190615_115846.jpg
  17. Oceandiving954

Oceandiving954 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great personal feedback, thanks for that. I will try the Rally mode on the streets with the settings you did and let you know how it is over the weekend.
  18. Venturer

Venturer AKA klakeman Supporter

Oddometer:
    I also found Rally Mode with Rally throttle response a bit jerky and hard to control when picking around rocks and mud sections (made harder with the narrow engagement range of the clutch). I am running Rally/Off-Road or Rally/Street now, and find the throttle response to be easier to modulate. In the last ride,I settled on Rally/Street, ABS front and rear, and traction control on level 5. Still experimenting though. The electronics on the 790R are really helpful.
    nev1402 and TrailTrauma like this.
  19. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Radioactive Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. Chrisbarnes1

Chrisbarnes1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 790 tank guards are now on test (see posts a couple of pages back)--if all is well then they will go on sale as promised. However, my question concerns the bashplate--its a bit thin and full of holes, and may possibly suffer if bounced on a rock etc(IMHO)--I'm not an owner so I don't know. It uses weld nuts for the plastic tank protectors and leaves a gap in the middle at the top where muck can fly in. So making a complete replacement is a bit of a PITA design wise--it would be much simpler and cheaper for me to design a bolt on carbon/kevlar shield to the stock plate that also does the job of an add on "shit shield". It won't have all the holes and slots and things(are these really necessary?), and the hardware will be domed rather than normal bolts. The KTM bashplate retails at 213 GBP --and I would need to buy one for the design process. So this post is looking for comments--if an add on won't fly then the whole process becomes much more marginal with a much longer lead time.