KTM 790 Adventure R video

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by MX Engineer, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ya.. suuuuure.

How many "Adventure" riders ride w/o luggage and take doubles? I think they missed the target with the whole video layout. They are showing the dirt bike capabilities, not adventure riding. Granted, we really need a GREAT dirt bike mixed with a GOOD street bike. The bike looks like they've gathered that up pretty well.
    The second video is a little closer to reality although someone forgot to tell him to turn off the blinker. He looks a bit unsure of himself in the dirt.. but is riding a bit over his head on the hwy. Looks like he fades out waaay over the line in one of the last turns (50 sec mark) before the video cuts to the next scene and off the hwy.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  2. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer:
    I’m sure they’ll price it under an Africa Twin, after all, it’s being built in India to keep the cost down according to the KTM peeps I spoke with at the Long Beach Show.

As for the Yamaha, who knows what they’re trying to perfect?! The friend of mine who was at EICMA said the Yamaha looked production ready aside from some of the carbon fiber bling. Even in this video, these guys see the Yamaha about ready to go......

It will be nice to see what both these bikes bring to the table once done.
  3. Deviant

Deviant aka KTM 1290SAdvR

Oddometer:
    No, it's not.
  4. Sleepyc

Sleepyc ClevelandMoto Podcast, Tune in!

Oddometer:
    My weed dealer told me I wouldn't get the crabs from that lot lizard... and BAM... I'm itching! .
    Never trust a dealer. ESPECIALLY a motorcycle dealer.
  5. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer:
    Well, that’s what the KTM guys told me. :dunno Don’t kill the messenger.

Also was brought up in this video at about the 2:47min mark.
  6. bauerboy

bauerboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your crabs sleepyc.
    TomSummerfield, Sleepyc and Pcfly like this.
  7. Sleepyc

Sleepyc ClevelandMoto Podcast, Tune in!

Oddometer:
    It's all good. ;)
    genitrex.png
  8. leaf001

leaf001 n00b

Oddometer:
    Prices for the 790 Duke were released; $11,300 USD (equivalent). The ADV model will probably add another $1k to that.
  9. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would expect a lower price in the US. Euro prices typically include the high sales tax.

But all depends on what the market will bear. Can't see a 790 Adv bike being only a few thousand under the 1090 ADV; I'm thinking more like $10,500 would be a more logical price point.

But I'm sure at $10,500, there's little profit for KTM vs the 1290, so I would expect less features to reduce cannibalization of the higher profit bikes (Al la Ducati's business model)
  10. Allucaneat

Allucaneat When do we stop to eat? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Even if it's made in India, I can't see KTM pricing it at $10,500 when the 500 EXC-F is $10,999 and the 690 R is usually a couple hundred more. My best guess right now is $12,799.
    Deviant likes this.
  11. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Time will tell. I'd expect something in the 12k MSRP range. If they kill the orange version of the 690 (as often rumored) that would leave us with the 350, 500, 790, 1090, and the 1290. That's a decent spread without a lot of intended use overlap other than all of them are multi-surface machines to one degree or another. I'm guessing that the 790 will split the cost difference between the 500 & 1090, seems about right.

I'm actually rooting for the Yamaha a bit. I'd really like to see someone else besides KTM come up with a bike that interests me and competition is always a good thing for the end user. :)
  12. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer:
    It’s will be interesting to see how it all breaks down, my 2 worthless cents say, KTM pricing won’t be based on logical order of CC’s. The dirt bike line is one lineup in its own right for pricing and the street line/Enduros/Dual Sport is going to be another. I don’t see a dirt bike buyer thinking.......hmmmm, I want a 250lbs dirtbike but if I pay just $800-$1200 more I can have a 400+ lbs dirtbike with 50 more hp?! It’s two different buyers for different reasons and uses.
    superdan00 and Doktor like this.
  13. Kyle K

Kyle K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gahhh! I have a 1290 SA and just put down a deposit on a Husky 701 to take over more of the dirt duties. I can't help but think this is the love child of those two bikes and probably would've been the perfect single bike for me. At least the Husky will likely be much lighter weight than the 790 adventure (but those low down tanks might help it feel a bit more manageable). Decisions decisions...
  14. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    You did exacly what I'm thinking of doing. I have a 2008 te 610, for my lightweight right now, but the 701 is really calling to me lately. Nice rade tank in place of the airbox, and nomad pannier racks with a couple of rotopax will get you 7 gallons. No 7k ralley kit for me. Not on a long ride? Take off the unneeded weight.