KTM 790 Adventure - replacement windshield

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by StratfordJohn, Oct 8, 2019.

1. StratfordJohn

StratfordJohn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I'm in the market to replace as I was getting some buffeting and lots of wind noise on long mileage trips. I'm 5'10" btw.

Would you choose:

Rade garage: pretty rad looking screen, not available yet, but doesn't look designed for touring: https://www.radegarage.com/parts/ktm-790-windshield/

KTM-790-Windshield-RADEGARAGE-520x364.jpeg

Madstad: never owned one, but seem to have great reviews. Would probably be looking at a 20" screen for my height. Seems good design for touring, but maybe a bit ugly? https://madstad.com/collections/ktm/products/ktm-790a-2019
    790A_02_1024x1024.jpg

Puig: the cheapest out of these, maybe more basic? Some good, some indifferent reviews: https://puig.tv/en/tuning-motos/windscreens-for-fairing-bikes/touring-screen?bike=25328
    25328.jpg

Maybe I should be more patient and wait for more reviews. Want to get this purchase as right as I waste too much freaking money on useless aftermarket parts.

What would you buy....
  2. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Madstad would likely be the most effective from a wind protection standpoint and of the 3 would probably go that way if a quiet bubble were my top priority. Though for me the stock R screen in the low position is good enough, and I dislike all tall screens on anything that will see dirt.
    E-luke likes this.
  3. sledneck

sledneck Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m excited to try the one from Rade garage.
    SoilSampleDave likes this.
  4. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah I am just waiting for the Rade one.
  5. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    Might want try an xcreen sport spoiler. It significantly reduces buffeting from the R screen.
  6. StratfordJohn

StratfordJohn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've tried 'cheap' eBay spoilers on the KTM, didn't notice any difference to be honest. I like the RADE one as it has the cut out to reduce negative pressure behind the screen. But I'm not talking about screens for dirt riding here, I'm talking UK winter street and long distance tours. So protection from elements is the key.

Thanks!
  7. spartanman

Oddometer:
    Might want to try cutting a hole in the base of the stock screen. I haven’t read anyone has tried that. You could be first!
  8. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Tried the Puig, meh. Waiting on Rade.
  9. JJ99

JJ99 KTM 790 Adventure S

Oddometer:
    I have a Madstad adjustable screen on order and will follow up with how it performs.
  10. ZiggyInNc

ZiggyInNc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting - I test ride a 790 at Barber last weekend and that buffeting (I’m also 5 ft 10 inches) really turned me off. If there’s a solution I would like to know.
  11. spartanman

Oddometer:
    No buffeting 97010A22-E34B-4672-B7F3-74E10FDFDAC9.jpeg
    The Griz and CaseyB like this.
  12. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually

Oddometer:
    Who makes that?

Simple solution that i imagine is easy to remove?
  13. spartanman

Oddometer:
    MRA Xcreen Sport. Attaches with rubber lined clamps and 4 set screws. On and off in less than a minute. You can also mount it permanently with the included brackets. I have the larger touring model on another bike. They work great.
    CaseyB and flange990 like this.
  14. spartanman

Oddometer:
    I’ve spent obscene amounts of money on windscreens that didn’t work, for me. I like the look of the 790 Rade screen, but I had one like it on my 990. It worked okay, better than the stock screen, but it was still noisy as hell. What ultimately worked on the 990 was the stock screen, backed by a chopped down Aeroflow screen, topped with an xcreen sport. It looks better than it sounds. That combo gave the quietest ride of any bike I’ve owned, including a BMW R1200RT. Just the sweet music of dual Akras. I don’t expect a quiet ride on the 790. I actually like the rush of clean, smooth air. The xcreen does that in my case. If you haven't tried an xcreen, it may be worth a shot as a first cut. Less $$ than an aftermarket screen and easy to flip if it doesn't work for you. Good luck in your quest for clean air.
  15. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    I rode a little over 4400 miles with the stock 790Adv R windscreen. It is a very nice 'dirt' or ' short travel distance' windscreen. It allows a great unimpeded view of the trail and doesn't seem to have any negative affects via wind steer. IF I was keeping the bike "dirt" oriented, I'd keep it and ride. As for longer distance travel, particlarly at slab speed...It's basically like riding a naked bike. Full on wind, bugs, rain, whatever is in the air stream will be full on to your chest and helmet. I was wearing a Shoei street helmet for most of the 4400 miles, so, I had no real issues, except for what would be expected from a naked bike at speed with no windpro. On the otherhand, just a short test with my Adv helmet w/visor convinced me in a hurry it was a no go for distance at speed. It was/is just like riding my 500EXC on slab. Shake, rattle and roll. The visor was left to the wind and there was no way I was going to be able to travel at speed for any duration.
    I've recently been testing the tall Puig windscreen. It fits/installs stupid easy...just like stock. I've riden around town and some short freeway miles with it at this point. I'll post up a more indepth review after an upcoming Rally (Pahrump). However, I'll say this about that. A windscreen is so specific to the riders height from the seat, the helmet, and the actual bike set-up, that there will be no general solution that works for all of us, or even the majority of us. IMO, windscreens need to have rider specific adjustability. The rider needs to be able to adjust not just the height, but the angle of attack that the windscreen is in the windflow. Madstad has these down to a science and may be in my future. I'll post up after the Rally.
    fiascoj likes this.
  16. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually

Oddometer:

I think I’m sold. I like that you can take it off. Unfortunately where I live, serious amounts of slab are necessary to get to any good stuff. I see that it comes in a tinted version as well
  17. spartanman

Oddometer:
    Yes it does. Same here. Minimum 150 miles to reach a forest.
  18. ZiggyInNc

ZiggyInNc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It would be great to see someone come out with a bolt on to replace the stock screen that offers the ability to adjust the angles on the fly without tools - like the one on the bmw gsa
  19. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was all ready to order the Rade Garage screen on Oct 25 but not able to yet. Guess they are not quite ready.
  20. JJ99

JJ99 KTM 790 Adventure S

Oddometer:
    So here is my experience with the MadStad windshield for my 790 Adventure S:

Fit and finish is superb. However, after numerous trials with all of the various settings I could come up with, I was still getting wind buffet on my visored helmet. However, it was buffet free with no visor but I can accomplish that with the stock windshield. I prefer to ride with a visor so this is a no go for me. Also, this was after trying both a GMax fixed and Scorpion modular dual sport helmets. I ended up sending it back for a refund which was promptly credited to my credit card minus the agreed upon 15% restocking fee. For the record, I am 5’7” tall and have the seat in the lower position. I have a clamp on deflector on order and will be trying that next.