1. eNewsletter Sign Up

KTM 790 Adventure - replacement windshield

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by StratfordJohn, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Noyah

Noyah poser

Oddometer:
    I have been using a 690/701 SM fender on my 690/701 enduro and it sure makes for a nice look but it’s not practical.
    braaap! and TrailTrauma like this.
  2. benzhow

benzhow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nope. I tried an extender and had KTM wi shield on both high and low settings. Still massive buffering. I took both off. Much better. I’ve ordered a Givi. Hope that works.
    kvango and El Fidde like this.
  3. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I tried the Puig and while it certainly takes the wind blast off your torso, it still buffeted my helmet. If anyone in the greater Atlanta area wants to try it on their 790 before I sell it off, let me know.
    Vicresendez likes this.
  4. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Noyah ... Some pics please?
  5. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    When it comes to windscreens, if it's not enough it's normally too much. When you go between small and large you generally just get more noise and/or buffeting. You either have to get your helmet in clean air with a really small screen or under the bubble with a tall one. The ideal height I have found is generally around nose level but even that depends on other factors, helmet, angle etc. As you go faster you need more windscreen also to stay in the bubble as it gets harder to move the air out of your way. on my FJR I'm looking through the windscreen with it raised all the way up on the highway to make things quiet but at lower speeds the lowest position works well. There's probably an 8" difference between low and high on that sucker. deflectors that ride out in front a little do seem to cheat things a little because they catch more air and send it skyward than a single plane screen. The Givi Airflow setup looks pretty slick but I haven't put enough miles on the bike yet to decide if it's worth rolling the dice.
    cwk and DMCK like this.
  6. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    TrailTrauma and Yzlvr like this.
  7. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
  8. DirtyDaveMO

DirtyDaveMO Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Who needs a windshield when you have a tablet that big.
  9. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
  11. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  12. cc3

cc3 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am also chasing after the no buffeting unicorn. The Rade seems to be tolerable for buffeting and it does a great job of taking pressure off the shoulders. The stock screen in the low position with a low mounted deflector works well too. The best for buffeting was no shield at all. Pretty ugly this way though.
    I may be stuck using the Rade in the winter and no shield in summer.
    I'm waiting for my PP tall seat before modifying the Rade, it might move me up high enough.
  13. MadMike83

MadMike83 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_20200105_144812.jpg

China deflector for me 174cm good enough, now just clear air flow, no buffeting. Its 2°C so just 70km test max speed 150km/h, windshield in low position.
    EvilSteve and kzeb like this.
  14. benzhow

benzhow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    got a link to purchase?
  15. MadMike83

MadMike83 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    benzhow likes this.
  16. manuellucchese

manuellucchese Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Meanwhile I am building this 790 I had in the workshop an 2017 Rally Replica windshield and tower and thought it could of been interesting to actually see it on the bike and not only on mockups so here is how it looks (obviously the rally replica side panels don't fit so couldn't install them). BTW one thing I realised looking at the Rade Garage windshield is I think I know why it is not working well and many are getting a lot of buffeting with the Rade windshield. They practically copied exactly the KTM Rally Replica OEM windshield and just made a cut out for the 790 headlight and this is why the air flow is going all over the place. The Rally Replica windshield is designed to go with its headlight so that the airflow goes nicely protecting the rider but if you fit it cutting out the hole for the 790 windshield the air not only ends up between the windshield and headlight but also it is not deflected how it should be. I think its a bit sad to see a company like Rade Garage going cheap and just copying KTM products. In my opinion if a Rally Kit builder wants to use a certain design they should simply buy the KTM oem product or design their own but obviously this has high R&D costs.
    Curious to know your thoughts on the looks of the 2017 Rally Replica Windshield.
    IMG_0086.JPG
  17. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve.

Oddometer:
    I put the double take adventure mirrors on my 790, if I put them really wide, I feel like there's less buffeting as some of that comes off the mirrors when they're right in front of your face. I'm still interested in the R/G screen and probably an MRA flip but, thought people might like to try that to clean up the airflow as well.
  18. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the same on my 990 (Aurora kit) and the airflow was perfect.
    Would love to see this on the 790

[​IMG]
  19. Orfeas

Orfeas Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I 've been in contact with the guys at Aurora Rally and they have been working on a 790 rally kit utilising this windshield. Hang on, its going to be the best looking kit out there.
    KevinBB, typeamark, No-Fret and 5 others like this.
  20. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just your basic stock 990 I see....hahhahaa....beautiful bike....what elephant ears are those?
    640 Armageddon likes this.