KTM 790 Adventure - replacement windshield

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by StratfordJohn, Oct 8, 2019.

1. strongleftleg

strongleftleg Party Guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here’s hoping the Aurora kit come in under 1K usd. Not holding my breath though.
    comac90 likes this.
  2. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 9XX kit was about $1700 Euro with the upgrade Squadron Pro.
    I would think it will be similar.
    kvango likes this.
  3. Thumper Dumper

Thumper Dumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree, in fact I don't want a rally tower. That's why I went for the Rade screen.
  4. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m starting to get moist!

The OEM headlight is ace but the look of it now just leaves me cold and that feeling is becoming overwhelming... A bit like having a red headed boy child... Promising, but nevertheless disappointing at the same time :|

Can’t imagine why the factory didn’t simply meld the 450RFR parts into the production 790... Save lots of time and R&D cost, sell the eager public the RFR aesthetic.. Win Win.

Instead we bought a bike with a front face that only makes a Gynaecologist smirk...

Bring it on Aurora! love your work (fcuken hell, I’ll have to buy 2 kits).
    1coolbanana and kvango like this.
  5. Orfeas

Orfeas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are most likely falling short on price too, expect price to match the Rebels kit. Don’t forget it’s a hell of engineering and manufacturing involved, plus I have a side info that they addressed the can bus error despite the absence of the stock headlight.
    comradecasey likes this.
  6. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hope you are wrong but we will soon find out I guess.
    640 Armageddon and braaap! like this.
  7. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Trying to keep it lower than the other kits for the 790. Honestly. One would compare it with the 701 Lite kit, but with some additional parts, especially the CAN bus, bypass.

Remember, compared to the 990 we have :
    1.CNC head clamp
    2. CAN bus error correction. The only kit that will bypass the HLU error.
    3. LED low beam. Morimoto LED light in the Hella projector.
    4. Baja Squadron Pro as stock and option to get a street legal led (from the 2019 ktm rally bike) to get the bike on the street as a legal thing.
    5. option to use the side metal bars and add extra lights there.
    and there are some other new things in that kit coming out...

These are just some of the stuff, but you get the idea of how much more you have compared to the 990. The light output will match and outperform the 790 LED unit. You'd be also happy to know that it's better to put that LED light in a safe place, as if you crash the led unit from KTM is £&£&£&£&£.

Back to the drawing board :hide
    cwk, CaseyB, Kinkysmurf and 5 others like this.
  8. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info mate.
    Look forward to see the final product :-)

With luck even on my 790 :happay
  9. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    @640 Armageddon can you speak about what sort of room there is for not only the TFT, but a tablet for digital roadmap, or nav purposes?

Thanks!
    640 Armageddon likes this.
  10. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not at all.
    My 990, of which there are plenty of pictures in this thread, using the Aurora set up made an excellent long distance dirt tourer which was the main purpose of the build for me.
    Highway speeds worked perfectly.
    Instruments nice and high in your line of vision while seated, just a great adventure bike setup with next to no turbulence and excellent visibility.
  11. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    There will be multiple options. on the standard format, the dash will be similar to the 9x0 kit. One position for the OEM speedo and one for either a tablet, cellphone or other GPS etc.
    But there will be an option, that the rider moves the OEM dash to the middle of the bars. This will clear completely the tower back plate, allowing riders to either install roadbook holders etc., i.e. a full rally setup, or get two gps units, two mobile phones etc. Basically trying to balance the normal user, the traveller and the racer.
    cwk, CaseyB, braaap! and 2 others like this.
  12. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am looking for space to mount the Carpe Iter tablet and still have clear comfortable line of sight to it AND the OEM dash. It sounds like it will meet this need. Will the tower have all the mounting accessories required to mount the Carpe Iter charging plate?
  13. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    Tower will come with TWO waterproof USB charging ports, with an integrated switch. The charging plate of the Carpe... Hm... Don't have the geometry, so cannot comment.
    I see in their site this: AMPS hole pattern (30x38mm). This we will have :)
  14. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Samsung has their new 10.1" Pro tablet onto which I was favoring this cradle:

https://www.gamberjohnson.com/products/samsung-galaxy-tab-active-pro-docking-station-bare-wire-lead

It looks to have a VESA 75mm mounting configuration. That could be converted to an AMPS but at what cost to stability (if I have to use a RAM arm between the 2)?

How do you see this mounting and would there be the option of having it in portrait orientation, as well as landscape?
  15. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, and a cup holder please @640 Armageddon !

Just takin the piss @TrailTrauma :)
    Can't wait to see this kit, the other kits seem to project way far forward for my aesthetic. Aurora's are tidier... Waiting...
  16. Mud Bucket

Mud Bucket 60% of the time I'm right every time

Oddometer:
    Took the bike out for the first ride over the weekend. Love the lay out with the GPS and TPS.
    Buffeting was rumbling from 115km, but what the hell, duck your head and giver. lol
    Off Road standing anyways
    [​IMG]
  17. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:

Why did you use a third party TPMS rather than get the sensors for the Garmin?
  18. Mud Bucket

Mud Bucket 60% of the time I'm right every time

Oddometer:
    Amazon $85 bucks Can, comes with both censers. I had purchased it a year ago before I picked up the new 595 Zumo. My last 550 Zumo died but was over 12 years old with no TPMS. Great little unit flashes red and beeps when there's an issue. Used it twice in Baja and other trips and it gives piece of mind. Lasts 2 weeks before charging, and I like the extra screen with it on.
    - vs -
    Garmin $102 for each censer, double the price. Cleaner look. Not sure if it displays the tires pressure all the time or if it requires toggling through screens. Wish I had bought it first last year. And its still on the table if the Amazon unit dies.

In short its more of the chicken before the egg scenario
    1coolbanana likes this.
  19. kzeb

kzeb Been here quite some time

Oddometer:
    Wasn't TPMS also a OEM option on the 790, at least 2019...?
  20. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    For some reason there is no factory TPMS option in Australia at this time :(
    Which annoying since it came standard on my last 1190R and 1290's
    kzeb and Mud Bucket like this.