KTM 790 Adventure - replacement windshield

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by StratfordJohn, Oct 8, 2019.

1. strongleftleg

strongleftleg Party Guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is my experience with the Madstad wimdshield for my 2019 790 Adv S:

Agree with @JJ99 that fit and finish is top notch.
    I am 5’8”, and got the 18” screen because I want to be able to see over the screen.
    I tried every combination of angle and height and the Madstad did not make any noticeable improvement over the stock S screen in the high position.
    I tried with both a LS2 Pioneer ADV style helmet and a HJC Rpha modular. No difference noted between the two.
    The Madstad looks horrible on the bike as well.
    I returned the Madstad, they gave me my money back minus 15% and shipping costs.
    Next I will try the stock screen with an MRA x-creen spoiler.

To date the best solution to eliminate buffeting Ive found is to take the windshield off completely.
    Second best is S windshield in high position and “winglets” removed.

The bike looks horrible with no windshield, and it leave my gps completely unprotected.
    SoilSampleDave likes this.
  2. explodingmouse

explodingmouse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For those with adv helmets is it feasable to remove the helmets peak while slabbing and put it back for the dirt and would this make a difference re buffeting ?
  3. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Most have an easy release feature; mine does and I tried it. Made very little difference. Having some luggage to put it in when you take it off is important!
    I tried the Puig and while it certainly keeps the wind off your body, my helmet was still buffeted. My last hope is a rally style like the Rade.
  4. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rade garage web page now says November 25th for their screen. We'll see.
    TrailTrauma, sledneck and braaap! like this.
  5. Dodo56

Dodo56 n00b

Oddometer:
    The tall screen on the S model works well to keep wind blast off your torso and face, but sends the air up over the rider then straight down to fill the low pressure area behind the screen (even with the fowler flap effect at the bottom of the screen). I've been riding the bike with a conventional full face helmet and the visor up, and the airflow actually pushes the visor down. The biggest problem is the buffeting and helmet noise this causes, and people with the low R screen say much the same.

While taller screens may help deflect the airflow far enough up to miss the rider's head they end up looking ridiculous and could pose a positive danger when standing to ride off road. The best solution I've found is a small unobtrusive clip-on deflector made by Puig, that goes on the top of the screen and increases the fowler flap effect to direct the airflow further up and miss the rider's helmet. It's not a 100% cure but I'd say 80% which is a very significant improvement. You can also pivot it down for offroading.

[​IMG]
    fiascoj likes this.
  6. jmarleau

jmarleau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will monitor this thread.

I have been enjoying the stock 790R windscreen in the low position for anything up to 80km/h. I find the high position ineffective. I purchased the 790R as an adventure bike where long highway sections are planned. I have ordered but have yet to receive the KTM Powerparts 790S screen (as well at the cruise control switch gear). I am hopeful this screen will be somewhat satisfactory for highway use. After reading this, it seems most are not happy with the stock S screen. (?) All I know is that riding with the stock R windscreen at highway speeds is very fatiguing after an hour of so.

I made a thumb screw that takes place of the small M4 screw that mounts the stock windscreen. So both positioning and switching from one to the other windscreen should be easy.
  7. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Rade Garage website finally has their screen available for order. Just ordered mine. Hope it delivers!
    TrailTrauma, braaap! and CaseyB like this.
  8. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I hope someone near me orders one so I can try it out :beer
  9. Toddv

Toddv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The R screen is definitely no fun when it's cool out, the wind hits you on the chest and blows right up the front of your helmet. I kept trying to find where the air was leaking through my face sheild until I put my hand over the chin area.

It would be cool if someone designed a screen that would be high enough to get wind over your helemt on then highway but then could be rotated 180°, basically flipped upside down, and functions as headlight protecter and a low screen when you get off road...
  10. Orfeas

Orfeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am still worried about the material during a crash scenario. Not sure if this will break leaving sharp edges or will behave like lexan/polyester?
  11. zomborger

zomborger Drank the Orange Koolaid

Oddometer:
    I desperately want to order that Rade windshield and Seat Concepts comfort seat but I haven't even gotten my R yet! Order all of the farkles and just look at them while I wait for my bike to come in or do I wait to see if I REALLY need them? Decisions, decisions...
    braaap! likes this.
  12. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a screen from Rade, webpage says 'Out of stock - Dec 2'... Back order already?
    You blokes are fast :)
  13. Orfeas

Orfeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am on the same boat inmate. And a few weeks ago decided to give in. I am now standing in my warehouse looking on a pile of aftermarket, aint fun..YET!
    braaap! likes this.
  14. Toddv

Toddv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't be scared, Inspent 2500 bucks on farkles before I got mine...
    braaap! likes this.
  15. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    In a video didn't Rade Garage state it was Lexan?
  16. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    YesSiree... Lexan by the Man.
  17. sledneck

sledneck Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m patiently waiting for Rade to come out with a smoked or tinted screen. Sadly my bike is in the living room until spring, so no rush.
  18. Noyah

Noyah poser

Oddometer:
    Black rattle-can on the inside of the screen will solve that for you
    sledneck likes this.
  19. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve thought of that. The plastic handles it?
  20. Noyah

Noyah poser

Oddometer:
    Sure, did that on my 800gs with great success
    scfrank likes this.