1. eNewsletter Sign Up

KTM 790 Adventure - replacement windshield

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by StratfordJohn, Oct 8, 2019.

1. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Not yet, but I'm sure that would probably work. Getting the helmet completely into the wind is the key to zero buffering, unless you go really big. Riding with the deflector down does that without having to take off the screen.
  2. truckergemi

truckergemi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone interested in buying a used rade garage screen? It’s still in perfect shape, I just don’t want it.
  3. Radzz

Radzz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I´ve done something similar..works great :-)
    JP4 likes this.
  4. Radzz

Radzz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just sold mine aswell... Pretty useless piece of plastic junk if you ask me!
    Miller173 likes this.
  5. blackSP

blackSP 62 6c 61 63 6b 53 50

Oddometer:
    You're a real marketing expert hahaha
  6. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Holy fuc* :imaposer:imaposer:imaposer
    vrenlos likes this.
  7. truckergemi

truckergemi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would give someone a good deal who wanted it, but he is not wrong.

I don’t think I will ever buy another Rade Garage part. I know they wanted their R&D money back, but for a company to take money for a product they had to know was so flawed... no way I can ever trust the quality of another one of their products.
  8. jmarleau

jmarleau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I feel your pain, but I don't think you need to go that far. The Rade screen is "rally bike" inspired, where the high-speed aerodynamics of the large electric road book, multiple trips and GPS devices, all angled to view in the standing "attack" position is top priority. Rade Garage develop and sell rally products. The world would be a better place if we had more guys like them building bits and pieces for us to try. I really like the looks of rally bikes and rally screens in general.

However if, like me, you bought your 790 as an "adventure touring" bike, you likely need a more highway comfortable option for repeated 7-8hr days seated in the saddle.
    Dodo56, Vicresendez, kzeb and 2 others like this.
  9. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I strongly disagree regarding the rally bike aerodynamics. Regarding the development of the screen, believe me it's not an easy task. Regarding the R/G development, please read this as well:
    The bold letters show that they had a pretty good idea that the design is (1) not easy and (2) it may be a monumental fail.
    I have been involved in projects in Aurora that they did not see the light at the end of the tunnel (1) because we kept spending $$ and we had to call it a day. Especially on the screen, to find a manufacturer that will do true polycarbonate for you is really difficult (most use PMMA) and we had to delay the Universal kit for example for... ahem... a year! Sometimes it's better to stop things getting out of control. I can't imagine what's going on in the e-mail right now...

@braaap! I know , I know... It's Thursday :p
    braaap! and kubcat like this.
  10. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're killin' us. How about an early release of the pics you promised tomorrow? Whats one day...
    640 Armageddon likes this.
  11. RobbyD

RobbyD n00b

Oddometer:
    I found this conversation because like many others, I love the bike, but the helmet buffeting is bad. My experience is the same as other shorter riders- no screen at all is best. Although I really only care about riding dirt, sometimes I need to be on asphalt for hours. My friends and I like to get this over with quickly, and do it at speed. As such, a bit more protection would be nice to have. I found this option. Who wants to try it and tell us if we should spend the relatively small amount of money on it? https://www.sdmoto-parts.com/en/win...J4eOIm4QG4ozDsG0GtJQMLYMHrey9zXsaApx0EALw_wcB
    [​IMG]
    Vicresendez and JP4 like this.
  12. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doesn't look much different size wise than the R screen, maybe slightly taller which won't help.
  13. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    @braaap! it's Friday indeed :deal:dukegirl
    No front photos (but looks :0-0 too) and keep this image to this thread :D

790-teaser.jpeg
  14. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why the "art" filter, instead of a clean photo?
    Are you still on track to begin shipping by the end of the month for us 790 owners?
    Can you give us an idea of a price for the lite kit?
    comradecasey likes this.
  15. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    because (1) not officially released yet, so not allowed to get out to the public as an image and (2) >>

we want to give a hint of what you shoukd expect :nod .
    This week is critical regarding production. I will have data mid week. Regarding pricing unfortunately not fixed yet. When marketing is involved as an engineer I try to walk out of the room :D.
    CaseyB, TheGr8Pumpkin and TrailTrauma like this.
  16. jmarleau

jmarleau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could be worth a try.

Looking at it, I feel this might not help at all. I think the side cutouts (that have to be there to clear the hand guards, and provide a small turning radius) do not provide enough displaced air. While the Touring version of this screen still has these cutouts, the taller profile likely helps. Some have weighed in on the touring version.

While I had fantastic success with the Puig touring screen on my Africa Twin (My profile picture), I think I prefer the steel mounts of the Givi screen for the 790. Having a large screen with the stock lightweight plastic mount all supported by a 2 position 1" square with one small M5 bolt seems rather flimsy. I will listen to all that try the Puig with interest, but will likely wait for Givi to arrive in North America.
  17. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Really nice! I like how you're drawn the fairing back towards the tank/forward plastics to tie it together. I've been waiting for someone to finally do that. None, so far, have really seemed integrated. The side pieces I've seen have almost appeared as though an afterthought. I keep hoping something will come along which is reminiscent of a rally replica approach. Maybe you're got it here. I'd have to see the actual clean, real world photos to decide if it is. Looks pretty good from what you're able to show us so far though. :)
  18. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  19. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    You should buy my Puig screen I have for sale in the FM and give it a try. I’m 6’ even and I still had some helmet buffeting.
  20. goldneox

goldneox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi there,
    I saw the 690 kit you just released (beautiful as always!) and I was wondering what is driving the price so high (1900€)?
    The 701 lite kite looks almost the same and is worth 1700€, while the 990 kit is worth only 1200€.
    Can you explain what make such a big difference on the price tag?
    Thanks in advance!