KTM 790 Adventure - replacement windshield

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by StratfordJohn, Oct 8, 2019.

1. tomstrommer

tomstrommer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    got out for a 50-60 mile run yesterday, recon some TP and deliver some groceries:ricky first impression of the Givi airflow are it's better than stock R but still getting some buffeting right at the top of my helmet wreaking havoc with the beak on my Scorpion 950. going to try and install some longer bolts with spacers to angle it forward a bit and see if that helps. it's better for wind noise but not perfect for buffeting. I tried it all the way up and still had some turbulence though not as much. As stated before windscreen performance very subjective and your results WILL vary. just sharing my experience.
    No-Fret likes this.
  2. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    What buffeting ;)

Windage ha.jpg
    nibby, 1coolbanana, braaap! and 10 others like this.
  3. 52edub

52edub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Whose hand guards are those with the mirrors
  4. gbx2001

gbx2001 Geophiz Supporter

Oddometer:
    TT’s hand guards are made by Highway Dirtbikes. The mirrors are optional when purchasing.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  5. Miller173

Miller173 n00b

Oddometer:
    Sophia got back to me first thing this morning and let me know it’s all handled, and gave me an update on my kit! The Aurora team has the best customer service, can’t wait to see the product!
  6. jmarleau

jmarleau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It has been reported and confirmed by owners riding with the tilt-adjustable Madstad screen, that tilting the screen forward places the windscreen further away when sitting and increases buffering. This will likely work fine for standing if that is your game. Interested in your readjustment experiment.

I got a call today that my dealer received a single KTM "S" screen. This dealer has been desperately pumping out social media ads in an effort to stay afloat during our Covid crisis, so I bought it if only to help them out. It is on the bike now. At least I will have an idea how it differs from the R screen.

I'm a paramedic with multiple possible contacts with Covid-19 PTs., so it is understood that every one of us should assume we are carrying this virus. So not only has this screen been back ordered for 10 months, I also had to go though the hassle to have the dealer hide it outside near their dumpster so I can grab it away from people. Interesting times.
    undingen, EvilSteve and TrailTrauma like this.
  7. lowerlattitudes

lowerlattitudes LowerLattitudes

Oddometer:

Ive heard at least one good report on the S screen for a guy about six feet tall. Interested in your experience with it. Stay safe ( as you can....)
  8. SEK_Nick

SEK_Nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had an S screen, broke it taking a nap in sand, now R screen. Honestly, I couldn't tell any difference between them. 6ft/34" inseem, scorpion exo at-950 helmet without roost guard.

I get a lot of wind noise, but I have never noticed any buffeting.
  9. TB76

TB76 n00b

Oddometer:
    The Wunderlich screen extension has lot's of adjustment available. It's not cheap, but I have one I put on my KLR 10 years ago and it hasn't budged since...I'm still not a fan of the flimsy KTM windscreen, but this addition is a big step in the right direction... IMG_4447.jpg
  10. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I think my kit *might* have shipped today, but waiting to hear back from Sofia. Fingers crossed!
  11. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @SoilSampleDave

I have to defer as I'm in Covid-19 (cashflow) shutdown :(

Post pics, so I can gnash my teeth and weep...
    1coolbanana and SoilSampleDave like this.
  12. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same here, please post pics!
  13. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine is in the hands of DHL and will arrive Thursday. Can't wait.
  14. Scourge

Scourge Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's not just you - I bought a secondhand Airflow setup from an inmate here. With the stock R screen I got all the wind and no buffeting. With the Givi I got no wind but horrible buffeting. With a pretty sleek Shoei lid too. I couldn't get rid of it until the screen was almost all the way up or I hunkered down with my face almost up against it. Either way, I had to look through it to see where I was going. I can't stand that so it had to go.

I am currently using the Givi 7710 airflow base without the big slider attached and a $12 ebay winglet (the center mount kind with the tilt/slide hinge) and that is a nice balance of wind protection and no buffeting up to 90mph. I think it's as good as I can make it anyway. I'm going to try putting the winglet on the stock screen and if it's also good... I can pass the whole Givi setup on to the next guy. I think it would work better for a tall rider (I'm 5'10).
    CaseyB likes this.
  15. Copracer288

Copracer288 How hard can it be?

Oddometer:
    Like I (and others) have said. VERY SUBJECTIVE. I'm 5'10 and think the Givi Airflow is a great solution. I use it on the lowest setting and have no wind and no buffeting. It's like a dead air space. I've tried it with a slick street helmet and a pointy peaky ADV helmet.

:dunno
  16. Scourge

Scourge Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would say that there are a lot of variables making it difficult to translate one person's aerodynamic profile to another ... but there is nothing subjective about buffeting if you have it. I got the dead air space where no wind was pushing on me but it was like someone was running an orbital sander on top of my helmet. I had to raise it to the point where I have to look through it to see where I am going to stop it. That is just not something I'm interested in doing.

I only really need to have a little bit of smooth and quiet for a particularly long trip I'm planning. Anf only for speeds above 75 for a couple of long slab days to/from across Kansas and Nebraska so I'm not exhausted after 8hrs of hauling the mail. I think I've got it close enough with the Givi base and a cheap wing - but I need to ride around some trucks on a windy day to really know. Lockdown is keeping me on the dirt these days.
  17. MeVoGTC

MeVoGTC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just some variables to think about: fitment of your helmet, shape of helmet, type of helmet, torso lengths, arm lengths, air density, side winds, length of neck.....etc., etc.

I was at a Shoei Helmet sales and fitting seminar a few years back, and one of the speakers was a GP250 champion(I can’t remember which national title it was). He told a story about being at the track and doing some testing on the machine when the Shoei Rep came with his new signature helmet. He did a couple of laps with his old helmet and told the pit crew that the bike was running really fast. Then he went and did a few laps in his new(properly fitted) helmet, and came back to complain that the bike was running slower. The pit guys started to laugh at him, because he actually just beat his personal best on the track. The moral of his story was that the loose fitting helmet shock around a lot and gave him the illusion of speed. With the proper fitted helmet on, everything was smoother and less buffeting.

I spent 5 years running a parts and accessories counter at a dealership, and found that the majority of my customers were wearing helmets that were at least 1 to 2 sizes too big. Even the ‘experienced’ guys were wearing helmets too big.

As we figure out how to remove our buffeting, make sure you are wearing a proper fitting helmet. It should be snug all over your head, not loose like a ball cap.....Both Aria and Shoei spent a lot of money to train people how to fit helmets. So if you’re not sure, go to a shop with a well trained honest helmet guy and ask him to help make sure your helmet fits.
    Venturer and guarddog0777 like this.
  18. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Types of mirrors, placement of mirrors...
  19. tomstrommer

tomstrommer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    sounds like you are having a similar experience to mine, I did try the cheap clamp on wing from amazon on the stock R shield, it was better but had problems with the plastic adjusters loosening up. it was better but not great. the Givi airflow is way better for wind noise but that bit of buffeting is probably a deal breaker for me if i can't get it sorted. I did take a short ride with the screen tilted out with spacers on the top bolts of the bracket approx 1". didn't notice much difference worth the change. as others have stated there is a lot of air coming around the side and around the mirrors that's not helping matters. may try my cheapo wing on the Givi base as you did if I can get it to stop slipping.
  20. kzeb

kzeb Been here quite some time

Oddometer:
    Ok so my KTM Rally windshield/tower projekt is going awfully slow but some progress is being made It's still a bit cold to ride anyway and the Husaberg is plenty fun if I get the need for it :nod
    Here are some pics from various stages the last one is today a couple of hours ago when I sanded all bits (again...) and primed it for the final paint.
    After this I dont want to see a hacksaw and a file ever again... :fpalm
    it's quite tight in the tower and as soon as I made a change on someting, it also affected a few other things damn frustrating :baldy I'll tell you,
    good and loud music to calm the nerves is a must :lol3 and a beer...

20200404_135716.jpg
    This mount will definatelly be tough to break.

20200405_153520.jpg

20200411_170614.jpg

20200413_154220.jpg

20200413_174448.jpg

Namnlös.jpg

20200414_190302.jpg

Be safe everyone :beer